Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When I accelerate I slow down?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: When I accelerate I slow down? Reply with quote

I slow down for the first few seconds when accelerating, no matter the gear I am in. Any clue to what causes this?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the RPM/engine go up but the vehicle slows? If so, sounds like clutch disc slippage, and then replace the pressure plate, throwout bearing, disc, and resurface the flywheel.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the whole this slows down speed and engine. It back fires sometimes, Carb maybe?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a 34pict/009 combo?
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
I am not sure Sad. I am pretty sure it is all stock, I drive a 68. Inexperienced in all this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DSCN3850 by Theearcticfox, on Flickr
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! and she shuts off some times when I hit the breaks. Solenoid maybe?
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the cap off the distributor and tell us if you have a solid state electronic part in the distributor

If so -- what is the MF Name
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryMCarter1 wrote:
Take the cap off the distributor and tell us if you have a solid state electronic part in the distributor

If so -- what is the MF Name

Embarassed what is a solid state electronic part?
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and take a picture of your whole engine and post it.

I think they are trying to see if you have points in your distributor or pertronix type electronic ignition .

Have you made any changes to your car recently?
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine by Theearcticfox, on Flickr

I adjusted my choke, to discover the lever is stripped. Um.... think that all in the engine.... Did an oil change?
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you do have an 009 dist ( non vac. type). Take the dist cap off by prying off the two clips on the sides of the dist and take a close up picture for us, we'll be able to tell you if you have an electronic ign. or points and cond.( which I'm sure you'll be able to tell if you have points in there). Maybe a good tune-up is in order. A service manual will be a must. Also the "bog" you are esperiencing could be a simple adjustment of the mixture screws on the carb or ignition timing adjustment.

Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you are running a 009, it really helps to time it correctly.....

http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/bosch009.htm

If you have points (and not a points replacement module like a petronics or something) make sure the dwell angle is set correctly before you adjust the timing. A point gap of 0.016-0.018" will get you close, but you want to see a dwell angle of 47º +/- 3º.

And be sure to have a look at the accelerator pump inside the carb (it is a little brass tube that squirts gas into the carb when you step on it).

http://www.vw-resource.com/stumbling.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:

I am! I figured it out. I will post pics in a bit. Now I was aksed to take that cap off, which I did, but did that just ruin my timing?

Edited for pictures

DSCN4015 by Theearcticfox, on Flickr

DSCN4016 by Theearcticfox, on Flickr

DSCN4017 by Theearcticfox, on Flickr
dreadpiraterobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, taking the cap off doesn't ruin your timing. Put the cap on the way you found it, not turned 180 degrees, and you'll be back to "normal."

Go here: http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html and start with #2.

You should probably get some literature. As an introduction, I'd recommend How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive. It's not the most accurate or thorough, but it's a good basic introduction to VWs, air cooling, and motors in general, plus it's a fun read and has cool drawings. A Bentley manual is a more thorough source of knowledge, but it won't hold your hand and make you feel better the way John Muir tries to.

Edit: Oh, and as everyone and their mom will tell you, your carb and distributor setup isn't ideal, but you should still be able to get it to run OK if you know where to find and how to follow directions. Haters gonna hate.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadpiraterobert wrote:
No, taking the cap off doesn't ruin your timing. Put the cap on the way you found it, not turned 180 degrees, and you'll be back to "normal."

You should probably get some literature. As an introduction, I'd recommend How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive. It's not the most accurate or thorough, but it's a good basic introduction to VWs, air cooling, and motors in general, plus it's a fun read and has cool drawings. A Bentley manual is a more thorough source of knowledge, but it won't hold your hand and make you feel better the way John Muir tries to.

Edit: Oh, and as everyone and their mom will tell you, your carb and distributor setup isn't ideal, but you should still be able to get it to run OK if you know where to find and how to follow directions. Haters gonna hate.

What does hating have to do with facts?
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vwnewbie, when you put the cap back on you will notice a a little protrusion on the cap and a corresponding notch on the dist body itself (right on top) can't mess it up...well you can but look and you will see it.
Cap and rotor look clean, almost new looking on the inside. I do spy the dreaded fuel filter located by the 'ol dist. drama which you may want to relocate. First get the bug running right and check back and you will get a whole slew of answers on where you should put the fuel filter Wink

Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
dreadpiraterobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
dreadpiraterobert wrote:

What does hating have to do with facts?

Well....
-A lot of people have ended up with 009s just because that's what was on the car when they bought it.
-Not everyone has a bunch of money to spend on the correct distributor. Some of us have to save up. In the meantime, we'd like to get the car running and driving.
-While the 009 isn't ideal for anything but a stationary engine, it does in fact work. It is possible to have a drivable 009/34PICT3 combo without too much fuss.
-Even if you have the right distributor, a 009 is useful as a backup, so it doesn't hurt to know how to make one work with the carb you have.
-You can't diagnose a car through an Internet connection, so making a blanket statement that someone's problems are entirely due to the distributor used doesn't make sense.
-Advising someone to get the correct distributor is one thing, but I see a lot of "OMG EPIC FAIL" whenever anyone has a 009. It gets old.
-The world will never be rid of 009s, so maybe it's best to accept them as a given in some situations.
-"Haters gonna hate" is a figure of speech commonly used in jest. Lighten up!

I'm not advocating ignorance, I just don't see the point of the "don't even bother" attitude when it comes to 009s and single carbs.

Sorry for the derailment, looks like it's time for me to give the intertron a rest.
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is what I know,
The 34/ 009 was with the car when I bought it oh... 6 months ago. This is my first car and I have put a lot of work into it. I own a haines manual and the famous john muir book. I have put a lot of mileage on my baby and she has never let me down, just acted a little funny, at times. I am broke and do what I can. I try to knock out the small things first before I have a mental break down of," Omg my car is screwed and needs rebuild." Because I'm sure she does but I deal with it as it comes.

Now. What distributor should be on there? and carb? It will have to wait but if I know I can keep it in mind.

Will someone help me with my initial problem?

No I can not take her completely apart and leave her in the garage for a month so starting small is the best way to go.

Thank you.
JeffDeWitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vwnewbie don't let this get to you, VW's are simple machines (as cars go) but if you are new to tinkering with cars it can seem a bit overwhelming at first.

Get the Muir book to start, it's not the greatest as a tech manual but it's got a lot of really good info and it's intended for people who don't know much about cars (actually as I recall it was intended to help hippies keep their VW's going!), so it's very laid back.

Read through this site, it's FULL of good info, and if you start feeling overwhelmed go do something else for a while.

Most of all have fun, these days that's what these cars are all about!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Vwnewbie10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffDeWitt wrote:
Vwnewbie don't let this get to you, VW's are simple machines (as cars go) but if you are new to tinkering with cars it can seem a bit overwhelming at first.

Get the Muir book to start, it's not the greatest as a tech manual but it's got a lot of really good info and it's intended for people who don't know much about cars (actually as I recall it was intended to help hippies keep their VW's going!), so it's very laid back.

Read through this site, it's FULL of good info, and if you start feeling overwhelmed go do something else for a while.

Most of all have fun, these days that's what these cars are all about!

Thank you for the encouragement Smile Get a little stressful! Just gotta remind myself that my car is an older woman Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: