Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original door panel question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slomazzo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Original door panel question Reply with quote

All four panels in my car seem to be original material; The back left panel even still has the factory yellow VW instructions for folding the seat down/seat belts, etc. That being said, I'm sure they are factory, however, the vinyl is flat as as the board on all of them. To get to the point, I have seen panels that have a bit of "puffy-ness" to them ("profile" would probably be a more proper term). An example is shown here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The picture is from a '71, yet, I have a '73. Could this be why? Does anyone know of. or have had their car since new that can corroborate any of this?
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the bugs I've seen in small, local VW junkyards. The later model bugs always usually seemed to had more thinner panels (without padding between vinyl and board).. than the fatter panels.
Though but I've seen both grades.

oemwolf
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After about late 74 or so the padding in the door panels was either completely removed or swapped out for something much thinner.

I know my 12/74 standard had the flat non puffy ones like you mentioned but everything of mine before that has had a thicker padding which gave that puffy look
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I think that the "puffy" ones you refer to are from 8/67 to 8/72. With the introduction of the 1303 came this slight change in the side panels, also the structure of the vinyl changed slightly.
Aircooled greetings from Germany, Alex

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: