Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Revive your early bay lever knobs (tutorial with pictures)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaCapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Revive your early bay lever knobs (tutorial with pictures) Reply with quote

1968-73

Here is a simple tutorial to bring back to like new conditions you early bay fresh air/heat lever knobs. While doing a search here at The Samba I found out about a product called "Plastidip" made by Perfomix, this product comes in a can for dipping or in spray, the spray is what you want for this purpose, it might be hard to find locally I bought both the red and the blue from a place online called DX Engineering, follow link below for it:

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=945&...LD-11201-6

On a quick note, the blue plastidip spray is kinda hard to find, I just checked link above and they are out of the blue, might need to Google it or call DX Enginnering for when they expect stock.
Here is a picture of the stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok, first of all you need your levers to be in fair shape, I got a very nice complete set of 4 at the classifieds here from joelmaude, thanks Joel!
Here is a picture of the condition of the levers, just the normal decoloration on the rubber and the scam build up from 40 years of use, but good solid rubber.

First thing you need to do is use a good degreaser on them, I used a toothbrush and the product in the picture below,

It is important to scrub them real good for the plastidip to bond properly

Here is a shot of the cleaned and degreased knobs, they already look better...

I then gave the metal parts a good cleaning with a fine grit wet sandpaper and rinsed off.

Now prep them for spraying the plastidip with 3M blue painting tape.

I made little wire hooks to hang levers after each coat. Directions say to wait at least 30 minutes in between coats for a total of 3 to 4 coats or as needed.

This blue one is on the second coat.

I will post rest of tutorial later on with a shot of the finished lever knobs but just on a quick note, when removing after done painting and removing the 3M tape, run a single edge blade at base of knob and edge of tape, the over spray will be a little tick from all the coats and cutting it prevents the chance of ripping it.
volksterii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, did this about a year ago using the same process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome write up.
Problem with small "resto" details like this is that it tents to make the rest of the stuff(dash in this case) look like crap. Laughing

Now, pics of them installed or GTFO! Very Happy
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BajaCapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
Awesome write up.
Problem with small "resto" details like this is that it tents to make the rest of the stuff(dash in this case) look like crap. Laughing

Now, pics of them installed or GTFO! Very Happy

Lol! you right, once you do stuff like this you got to commit to the rest, that is how I got started with my bus restoration, I will start my main resto thread soon.
I got the dash all apart for detailing, I fully stripped the top dash metal piece and painted satin black, the vinyl in the dash is in very good shape and looks awesome after cleaning properly, so sorry no lever knobs installed yet but very soon Wink , here is a couple shots of the dash pieces.

The metal top fully restored

The main dash pieces.

I will post the finished knobs later.

Jose.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, pretty!!! Smile
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CookingRock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BajaCapt"]
Batan wrote:

I got the dash all apart for detailing, I fully stripped the top dash metal piece and painted satin black, the vinyl in the dash is in very good shape and looks awesome after cleaning properly, so sorry no lever knobs installed yet but very soon Wink , here is a couple shots of the dash pieces.

The metal top fully restored

The main dash pieces.

Jose.

I've been thinking about the dash in my '76. The dash is a little rusty, nothing too horrible, but doesn't look the way it should/could. This is good inspiration, to be sure. Thanks for posting this.

Question: What wiring issues did you encounter on the dash restore? Electrical intimidates me, so I'm seeking some sound advice on approach.

Finally, what kind of prep and paint did you use on the dash? Was there paint applied to the vinyl? If so, what sort?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BajaCapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookingRock wrote:

I've been thinking about the dash in my '76. The dash is a little rusty, nothing too horrible, but doesn't look the way it should/could. This is good inspiration, to be sure. Thanks for posting this.

Question: What wiring issues did you encounter on the dash restore? Electrical intimidates me, so I'm seeking some sound advice on approach.

Finally, what kind of prep and paint did you use on the dash? Was there paint applied to the vinyl? If so, what sort?

Thanks.

The wiring was a tangled mess txs to PO, but is a matter of taking your time with it, first of all download the wiring chart for your bus, there are very nice color coded charts at this forum at following ling, scroll down to your 76 year and there are 3 pieces to download.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

I printed mine out and went to my bus to study the wiring for a good while, it will all start to be less complicated as you go along.
One thing that I did was to label all my connections with a dymo labeler I have, but you could use masking tape and black sharpie marker, the point is to label the ends to be disconnected, I also grouped wires with zip ties according to where they belong, for example, all the headlight wires in one loom etc etc, it just makes it easier when putting it all back.
One thing that you will need is a tool for removing the switches from dashboard, I made one out of a butter knife, there are several ideas in this forum if you do search for switch removal tool, buying a repro is expensive but you can make you own, here is a shot of mine and the dremmel bits I used.

And one very important thing to do when doing it for first time is to take a lot of pictures as you go along, a shot of the area before removal and after partial removal, keep this way for all steps, this pictures will help you a lot when you put it all back together, visual aid goes a long way here.
Oh, but before doing any cable pulling make sure the negative in you battery is disconnected! should have mention that at beginning...
The mechanical aspect is self explanatory, look for the screws atop of dash, under, e-break, etc. The only hard part here is the fresh air/heating levers, pay close attention to how they are attached and take good clear shots of this. Removing the levers is a real bitch to do, mine where missing the red and blue rubber ends so I had it easy, I just bended the metal ends and pulled instrument cluster right out, but with good levers and rubber knobs you will need to detach the whole lever, I am not familiar on this procedure for the 76 bay, mine is a 71 and it is different, but I am sure you can get help on how to remove your type. In this area you will also unscrew the speedo cable.

As far as the paint and primer for the dash metal piece, I used rattle cans of rustoleum, grey primer and semi-gloss black, here is a picture of the cans below.

The dash stripped (VIN covered for paint)

It really is not that hard but it will take you some time, also another thing is make sure to buy a Bentley Manual if you don't already own one, it is a must have.
If you do this full on as far as time, it should be 2 to 3 working days, so if it is a daily driver make sure you have another car you can use for stuff.
I been working on my bus for the better part of this year and end of last, lol Laughing

A quick edit here, I did not painted the vinyl parts of the dash, I just gave them a good cleaning with 100% acetone and cloth towels, just rubbed in little circles and it leaves it spotless, after that a good rubbing with armor all finishes it up.

Last edited by BajaCapt on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
BajaCapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to post this picture of the area behind the dash, all clean and painted.
The wiring is all bundled up covered and taped for painting (encircled in red), it is hanging from top area of pillar to keep it out of the way.
BajaCapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Finished knobs Reply with quote

Here is the finished work Cool
aliennetwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job

Desertbusman wrote:
So if you carry a spare starter it will be some other part you don't carry that will fail. Just tow a spare bus.
CookingRock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing of beauty!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! This might wind up getting me to finally redo the top of my own dash.

I just took a toothbrush and some simple green and the little knobs looked practically brand new.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you half to remove the steering wheel to get the dash off/out?
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

making your own tools = awesome!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus is going to be a real looker. Smile

Quote:

We went through the same a year ago.

take lots of photos and notes of the wiring as you pull things.

to paint the vinyl you clean it really well with hot soapy water, then laquer thinner and let it dry well like a day. Spray with Bulldog - takes two coats if I remember a few minutes apart - follow the instructions. Then spray with SEM GM Black vinyl paint from an auto body store (rattle can also). I used JB weld to fix small cracks and sanded it to match before painting it. Has been very stable.

before

after

Bulldog and SEM

Mr.Mexi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice - the levers look brand new.a great result for a little effort!
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love little detailed jobbies like this with clear instruction and great photos. Thanks for the tutorial. They look GREAT!
BajaCapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamesn71 wrote:
Did you half to remove the steering wheel to get the dash off/out?

I did removed everything from the front interior dash area, steering column, wheel, pedals, e-break, everything, if you check one of the pictures above in this thread you'll see the bare inside of the nose, now you dot have to remove al that of course, I did it because I am restoring everything. I think you could remove the dash without removing the steering wheel but the truth is, removing the steering wheel is very easy and it gives you more room to work on the dash removal. Follow the link below to a very good steering wheel removal tutorial by Anchovy :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310527&highlight=steering+wheel+tutorial

Thanks for your comments on the knobs resto guys, it is a simple job, yet very satisfying, they will look very nice once installed, also I am glad that some are finding the tutorial usefull Cool

Steve, your dash looks niiiiiiice Wink
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thank You for taking the time and effort to post this. Very much appreciated.

Pat Jr.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: