Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Air Scoop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
R&DvwENG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ovals rear vent area is bigger than the later bugs and the rear scoops for ovals would be different shaped.
fescamillarojas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Split / oval era vert deck lid grill, you can use the same

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62dcw wrote:
I believe it's a 1 piece fiberglass scoop that fits across the rear air vents under the window of type 1 bug? Kind of causes a ram air effect.

arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

Where is that scoop from?
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

Are you sure those items are air-scope?

I suppose they are only a protection against rain for the original air inlets, and you are mounting them upside down.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Are you sure those items are air-scope?

I suppose they are only a protection against rain for the original air inlets, and you are mounting them upside down.

The side angle on these wouldn't allow you to mount it upside down.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

I had one of these on a 60 356 powered monster. Never seen one since.
koko522723
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

62dcw wrote:
Ken, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR !!! Now if I can find someone that makes one?

https://markvfiberglass.com/a100-1949-1977-vw-beetle-and-1971-1979-super-beetle-rear-air-scoop/

Merry Christmas y'all.
DreamWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a set of these rear (airstream) air scoops.
Any leads, info or contacts will be much appreciated.

I've contact some of the collector 'heavies' and have been told these were (or seemed to have been) plentiful / common 10years ago.

Its the last accessory I'm chasing - Thanks guys

RareAir wrote:
Here's a set like the ones I just sold fitted to a Beetle

fescamillarojas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

Hard to find. But if you are patient, a kit will arrive...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

Where did you find them?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

I had one like Volkswagenut on my '61 with a stock DP 1600. That was back in 1972. Memory doesn't serve why that happened exactly; maybe I heard that the 1600 needed more air. Anyway it was driven a couple years including cross country without problem. One does need to be mindful of collecting snow. I wondered later if it was of any benefit at all, especially during stop and go driving. Altering the German engineer's design can be counter productive, but apparently these air scoops are at best harmless. Just my 99 cents.
fescamillarojas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

I found them at The Samba.
I live in Yuma AZ. Summer is hot. I have been using these air intakes for over 10 years and they help keep the 1600 of my old bug 61 cool.
Hogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

Validated then. I can't imagine a better stress test than Yuma AZ for cooling.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

The scoop can also become a leaf trap, thus blocking the cooling vents, so check frequently for leaves if you are around trees. Besure that water cannot pool in them also, as that can lead to body rust.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

fescamillarojas wrote:
I found them at The Samba.
I live in Yuma AZ. Summer is hot. I have been using these air intakes for over 10 years and they help keep the 1600 of my old bug 61 cool.

If you have a bigger motor with the bigger fan, I found it needed to prop open the deck lid a bit for added cooling in a sedan with a non louvered deck lid. At low speeds the scoop may not help much, thus a louvered deck lid or deck lid stand off may still be required.
My deck lid is stood off at the bottom so as to avoid leaf collection that can happen with a top stand off. I live in a leafy area.
The deck lid stand off made a marked improvement at high engine speed, high load condition Bug acceleration improved, maintaining speed on steep hills up improved. Prior to the deck lid stand off the engine choked as the carb was robbed of air by the fan and lack of adequate engine bay air inlet size.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

I would be reluctant to add a scoop in that location thinking that it will work. They look cool, but are they cool!

Here's my reasoning, some of which has already been noted by others.

1. The German engineers had so much experience with their car's body it is unlikely they would NOT have added similar scoops if there were advantages in doing so.

2. The scoop will upset the smooth air flow over the top of the body and create an area of turbulence at the scoop where ordinarily air flow would have been streamlined. Indeed introducing such turbulence at the scoop may in fact have created a zone of low pressure which could in fact ROB air from the scoop rather than create a "ram jet". The proof would have to be by wind tunnel or at least some tell tale ribbons like they have on yacht sails.

As far as this quote.....
Hogg wrote:

Someone's well meaning "I reckon" is hardly "validation".

3. Even if there is some "ram jet" effect, there is no guarantee that the extra air will in fact do anything. The fan is limited by how much air it can pump into what is a pretty sealed engine compartment, assuming that all the seals are in place as they should be. Yes propping open the deck lid will allow more air flow due to reducing the air compartment air pressure (effectively negating the effect of proper tinware and engine seals) but that is the reason the engine runs cooler not necessarily the ram jet effect.

Similarly, did cabriolet's come out with more engine vents before the sedans? I think probably because the normally streamlined air flow over the body was affected and even made worse by the overhanging folded up soft top and hence they ran hotter than their standard body siblings.

4. The vast majority of the cooling at speed happens by the higher air flow UNDER the car (versus the slower air OVER the body) where the rushing air cools the exposed magnesium/aluminium block and thin walled pushrod tubes. Adding an impediment to the air flow OVER the top of the car may possibly reduce the cooling capacity.

5. I'm struggling to think of too many production vehicles that have air scoops to cool the engine at the back. Don't think Porsche do it. Yes there are scoops on water cooled front engined cars or on high performance race cars. The comment that they really only work over 40mph is probably more to do with the fact that higher speed exchanges more heat than at a standstill.

6. Great marketing. I've got this new product. It's a flux capacitor. Trust me, it works because I told you it does. I've tested it to 88mph and it really makes you feel like you're speeding through time.

But each to their own. If you want one, get one. I'm just dubious about the science behind them. If someone can show me some repeatable evidence and calculations then I will happily change my mind.
DreamWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

fescamillarojas wrote:
Hard to find. But if you are patient, a kit will arrive...

Another set? well done!
DreamWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Air Scoop Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I would be reluctant to add a scoop in that location thinking that it will work. They look cool, but are they cool!

Here's my reasoning, some of which has already been noted by others.

1. The German engineers had so much experience with their car's body it is unlikely they would NOT have added similar scoops if there were advantages in doing so.

2. The scoop will upset the smooth air flow over the top of the body and create an area of turbulence at the scoop where ordinarily air flow would have been streamlined. Indeed introducing such turbulence at the scoop may in fact have created a zone of low pressure which could in fact ROB air from the scoop rather than create a "ram jet". The proof would have to be by wind tunnel or at least some tell tale ribbons like they have on yacht sails.

As far as this quote.....
Hogg wrote:

Someone's well meaning "I reckon" is hardly "validation".

3. Even if there is some "ram jet" effect, there is no guarantee that the extra air will in fact do anything. The fan is limited by how much air it can pump into what is a pretty sealed engine compartment, assuming that all the seals are in place as they should be. Yes propping open the deck lid will allow more air flow due to reducing the air compartment air pressure (effectively negating the effect of proper tinware and engine seals) but that is the reason the engine runs cooler not necessarily the ram jet effect.

Similarly, did cabriolet's come out with more engine vents before the sedans? I think probably because the normally streamlined air flow over the body was affected and even made worse by the overhanging folded up soft top and hence they ran hotter than their standard body siblings.

4. The vast majority of the cooling at speed happens by the higher air flow UNDER the car (versus the slower air OVER the body) where the rushing air cools the exposed magnesium/aluminium block and thin walled pushrod tubes. Adding an impediment to the air flow OVER the top of the car may possibly reduce the cooling capacity.

5. I'm struggling to think of too many production vehicles that have air scoops to cool the engine at the back. Don't think Porsche do it. Yes there are scoops on water cooled front engined cars or on high performance race cars. The comment that they really only work over 40mph is probably more to do with the fact that higher speed exchanges more heat than at a standstill.

6. Great marketing. I've got this new product. It's a flux capacitor. Trust me, it works because I told you it does. I've tested it to 88mph and it really makes you feel like you're speeding through time.

But each to their own. If you want one, get one. I'm just dubious about the science behind them. If someone can show me some repeatable evidence and calculations then I will happily change my mind.

Its more a form then function thing. I got a set, not because of the perceived function but totally because of the form and rarity (especially here in Australia). However when I have my oil temper gauge rewired ill post up any notable differences in tempreature with or without the scoops Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: