Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Junkyard Vanagons, a Leatherman and a Parts List
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Junkyard Vanagons, a Leatherman and a Parts List Reply with quote

Lets say you occasionally find a Vanagon in a Junkyard Pick n Pull. You travel light, maybe a leatherman, gerber, etc . . . nothing more.

You're not really looking for anything particular, but you always know there are some goodies that cost big bucks that can be pulled easily.

I picked up a much needed cooling fan resistor for a few bucks and that got me thinking . . .

What parts would you pull to add to your Vanagon Parts Stash?
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glove box latch, grille, headlights, turn signals, emblems, shifter knob(auto or stick) dash knobs, stove knobs, ash tray, interior lights, sliding door parts, plastic tanks, TB and switch, idle stabilizer parts, computer.
whatever else grabbed my eye.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instrument cluster if unbroken (lightly broken) and especially if it includes a tach, (cut a 8" wiring pigtail with it so early dashes can upgrade)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in good condition that you can get off with your leatherman.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty much happened to me and I pulled the transmission Wink I had more than a leatherman, but was way under prepared none the less.

K
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about the whole damn van......

I was in SLC just a couple of weeks ago. I only saw one Westy and that was in Yellow Stone. I am thinking I "might" have seen one other, but not sure.

I just could not find the time to leave my family to go visit any bone yards. I saw a huge one in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, too. It hurt me just to keep driving on....sigh......

Point is that you should get while the getting is good. They aren't making any more of the vans!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky in SLC. I've got a few boneyards I'll visit periodically and I keep tabs on what they have, etc.

I've always plucked what I needed but never really just pulled stuff to pull it . . . except for the entire interior of an early 80's camper van. I couldn't resist that and it was quickly released into the sambaness.

I'm hoping this thread can generate a good list to keep for when I stumble onto another boneyard gem. The small expensive to buy stuff is what I'm thinking of.
LaVarBurtonLivz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@EvilDNA

I'm new to the Vanagon scene in SLC... would you care to divulge which local yard(s) have been good to you before? That is, if you're not too attached to your secrets. Smile If your list is too confidential, you can always PM me Wink
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlight buckets...especially if their round.
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: @ LaVar Reply with quote

In SLC, I'll hit all the boneyards I can find. A few on 33rd South. A few on Redwood . . . Some down South. It's all hit and miss. I'm certain there are more I've not come to yet.

The Pick n Pull on 33rd is a MESS! That said, I've found a few there in the past. Nothing as of a few weeks ago. I got a good headlight replacement for 20 bucks once.

The Tear A Part on Redwood is by far the cleanest best run joint I've found. Got my cooling fan relay there for 4 bucks.

On North Redwood there is one that has had a few. Older years but I did stumble on some power mirrors for 20 bucks there once.

It's all just luck of the draw I guess.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: cleveland ohio Pull a Part Reply with quote

was at the kirby rd location they bought a 85 yesterday automatic should show up in inventory online in a few days they usually have cars on the yard inside of a week. wwwpullapart.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: