Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's a sickness, really.... new project
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: It's a sickness, really.... new project Reply with quote

#12 of 23 ever made, at least that I can research:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm ok with some ribbing - it's one of those kits you either love or hate. But after sitting in a series 2 model at Carlisle a couple years ago, I just had to find one. This one is an early series 1 - the engine hatch is smaller and there are a couple of other details that make it a little different. I just took delivery today, so I haven't even had time to research what year the chassis is (I think it's Karmann Ghia, but I have to cut fiberglass even to see the serial number), and I have to figure out what the hell the steering column is out of just to find the 'fix-it' parts. No engine, an old IRS transaxle... and a couple boxes of parts. It's gonna be an interesting build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Looks like a great start. Are those dropped pans fiberglass? It looks like a 1 piece that is floorpans and console.

I definitely see a shifter/e-brake issue there. Looks like 1 was moved and the other not.

Fiberglass looks good. Got all the glass? Seats?
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick
Check the boxes, I am sure there is a Flux Capacitor in there somewhere. Very Happy
Neat find! How do the doors open?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks, guys. Jeff, yes, the floor is monocoque with the body - just the tunnel is retained. There are two L shaped stiffeners under the pans to help support them and to protect from road rash. I should have gotten those photos while the car was on the transport... but you know how that goes. I don't have seats, and that will be a huge issue. Even the relatively narrow Sterling fiberglass buckets are too wide here - I've tried! All the glass is there except for one side window. It's flat plane, so it should be relatively easy to make. I have a local company lined up with a waterjet and annealing facilities, so all I have to do is supply a CAD file of the window (and get a quote). I didn't even catch the shifter and e-brake until you mentioned it. I was wondering why the shifter was on a little plate somewhat offset from the tunnel. Looks factory, though. I'll grab a photo tomorrow and post that.
Vince, it's gull wing. In my haste to get it under cover before some threatening skies came over, I didn't get any photos. I'll rectify that this week at some point. It needs everything, from brakes to drivetrain... you name it. But it looks like it's never been fully assembled - there's even a full wiring harness in a box (though I don't know how complete it actually is!). It'll be a fun distraction from the Sterling build in the next bay...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find Rick. I'm one of the lovers, not the haters, of the car.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. At least I know how long the thing has been sitting in the garage since this post started Laughing ! As usual, life and other projects get in the way, and this poor thing has sat since 2010 - four years and a month almost to the day. Over those years I had toyed with selling it, building it, selling it... building, then selling.. you name it. But it seems that the Aquila has a very limited fan base unless it's a complete, running car. All of my ads went without interest (though, close to 12K views on the last run.. go figure), so this past week I decided that yes, I will continue on and re-inspire my love for this car. In the course of those sitting years, many parts had been acquired that the car will need, and still more to come, mainly on fiddly stuff like the pop-up headlights, door latches/locks and some odds and ends in fiberglass. I had purchased a 110 Corvair engine and a rebuilt custom transaxle (reversed) for the power, and last week I actually got around to putting the transmission in as well as the engine. Great thing about this car, the entire rear valance is removable via 13 bolts on the perimeter:

Sterling owners should have it so easy. You'll notice that there isn't a trans or engine in the shot... I can say unequivocally that a Corvair engine will not fit in any of these style kits - I call them the "wedge" style kits. The engine stuck (well, the accessories: alternator, oil filter, distributor) well beyond the end of the car, basically even with the molded in rear bumpers:

That photo is just to show how little space there is to share; without some major fiberglass work and what would be a very ugly bustle at the back, the Vair engine just wasn't to be. That was pulled back out, the trans back out and I'm back to square one with the drivetrain. I'll likely redo the transmission since it was a fresh rebuild and all I'll need to do is swap the pinion drive back to the "correct" orientation. The engine.. after another test run to make sure all is well after the reseal, will be sold in favor of a standard Beetle motor.
So.. slightly disappointed, I fixated on doing minor things around the car - sorting some of the items bought over the years (oh yeah, I forgot about those!) and re-orienting what needed to be done. And I am starting to really respect how the car was assembled. It's incredibly well built with some very neat details that most early kits just failed to figure out, like a fully enclosed wheel well:

And this car is definitely a "new" car; i.e., a fresh factory car that has literally been sitting since it was built. The pans, well, perimeter frame, horns and frame head have zero rust and still retain the factory undercoating. The brake lines are new - at the rear there are still plugs at the ends of the runs. The gas tank is brand new - tape over the filler and a plug at the outlet. The front beam - I've never seen it before, but safety wire on the mounting bolts:

The only real issues are on the inside of the car where the dashboard had been hacked by some past owner, and the guy I bought it from stole the seats and lost some trim pieces for the battery tray and ceiling detail.

For those that haven't seen what a monocoque body on a VW frame look like, here you go:

Relatively heavy strapping bolts through the frame and into the remaining sheet metal of the floor to help support the seating area. Not bad, but I would have preferred a full length drop floor if they were going to do this. The seating position does really suck - legs straight out in front, so working the pedals is going to be interesting. I may have to investigate some hanging pedals and go partially hydraulic. I've got the room, and it might make the ergonomics slightly better.

Anyway, just my four year update. Progress will be as always a bit slow; my Sterling lost it's engine last month, so it's in the other bay waiting a replacement and money is a bit tight!
PF63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 72 mgbgt. Seatingposition sounds about the same. Check one out for pedal ideas.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into it, PF. Interesting idea.

A while ago these molds were up on eBay for a bunch of money. They were listed for months, each time a little less. I think they finally listed around $5K and still didn't sell. It's a shame to think that they are likely in a California landfill somewhere. During that auction I was able to talk with the manufacturer's son, who actually built each and every car. He confirmed that there were only 50 made, and the last two or three had a completely different cockpit shape at the rear.
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks superb......give it the restoration it deserves please!!

Crying out for an engine to match it's looks. Late model Corvair 180hp turbo if you wanna stay air cooled would be awesome in that....
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant! I am doing exactly the same with my Manx project with regards to the monocoque floor. Any more pictures of the floors?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said - a Corvair will not fit the space provided. I have a 110hp in the garage.

parmaynu; what specific photos would you want? It's a factory installed floor, so I'm not sure if I can get the photos you are looking for.
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Like I said - a Corvair will not fit the space provided. I have a 110hp in the garage.

Sorry bud, missed that post.....real shame, the 110 is a great unit and would have been great in this.....
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of where the monocoque fixes to the tunnel would be great plus any general ones would be cool too!

Cheers Mathew
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can get. I'll have to put it up on blocks high enough to do that - stand by!
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty great to see ! Super score ! !

Nice to find some of the older fiberglass kit cars here on the forum. Dune buggies all start to look alike after a very short while.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a T4 can be wedged in back there? Wink

Jeff
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An upright T4 certainly will!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru power!!!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real place for a radiator on these early cars, John! I'm trying not to cut fiberglass if possible.
jmc14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same sickness. Great project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: