Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear control arm installed; now I'm worried
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Rear control arm installed; now I'm worried Reply with quote

Well, it was a pain, and seemingly beyond my ability, but I managed to get the rear control arm installed tonight. It took a lot more time than anticipated, but it has given me a sense of accomplisment, as well as being a lot of fun for my VW crazy neighbor boy (the 10 year old light holder and tool fetcher!).

I got it all bolted up, and bled, and rechecked the torque on everything. Then we fired it up for the first time in two weeks, and took a shake down cruise. The lifters were banging something awful, so it was hard to hear things.

It drove good, though I need to check the rear alignment. The brakes worked good, but seemed to make some noise when I was turning around/backing up in a parking lot.

My concern is that when I stopped for the night, after about a 5 mile drive, the wheel on the side I fixed was noticeably warmer than the other wheel (as best as I could tell through the hubcap on the non-fixed side). I'm hoping there is something I should have done to the brakes, or that this is a normal occurance after bleeding that side (but not the other).

I am worried because I have never pulled the whole side apart before. I don't want to have screwed up a bearing or something.

A few notes:
-I didn't replace any brake parts
-I did replace the outer bearing seal. While it was out, I put some more bearing grease in there.
-The inner race (I think that;s what it is) did come out of the outer bearing. I cleaned it up, greased it, and put it back in (as best as I could tell from the part and from Bentley, there is no right or wrong way).
-I had to replace one bushing and I had a lot of trouble with it. I did put some bearing grease on it, but the lips around the outside got pretty chewed up. I am getting an intermittent squeak, which I figure is that bushing (as it doesn't come at a set interval).

Whew! Anyone still with me?

I'm wondering if I should be looking further in. Or worried about my bearings. Or worried for my life.

Any suggestions, or should I just pay attention, and drive it?

Thanks again for all the help. I would never have attempted this without the Samba.

Mark
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your brakes on that side dragging? Lift the back of the van and spin the tires with the e-brake off.
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that (having done a bit more reading this morning). I didn't mess with the adjuster, but bleeding the brakes certainly involved a lot of pumping. I'll try that.

Would a bearing heat things up that much?

And, is there something I can lube the bushing with (where it bolts to the chassis; I don't want to remove it again)?

Thanks,
Mark
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to be the nit-picking pedantic guy but you might get a better response if you use its proper name,

the things in the rear suspension are trailing arms, control arms are at the front.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I know better, but messed up.

Any idea, though?
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 more night in the garage and I think I have a better understanding even if I am no closer to fixing it. I took the drum off and found that the lip of the drum is rubbing on the backing plate. I tried to align it and I thought I got it better but a test drive shows it louder. (though the wheel didn't get so hot.)

Is there a trick to making the awful noise go away? I know I might have bent the backing plate removing it.

Argh.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: