Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Heads Up, some may have seen it Minnesota Craigslist Empi sportster project for sale 1500.00 looks like one with longer bed. I think the town on the ad was Maplewood. I could nt get the link
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder
I would love to see the doors ? If you are not going to use the black top would it be for sale ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder
I would love to see the doors ? If you are not going to use the black top would it be for sale ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

sandhopper wrote:
vponder
yea I might just dont know yet I have it sitting outside under a tarp and it helps keep the tarp up and I just dont know how good the material is but we'll keep in contact on it. My resto is going to kind of slow till I get my other buggy sold. so I can get the sportster in the shop.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

That's the wheels that I was thinking about running too. Almost thinking and autocross car would be fun to build out of it.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:
That's the wheels that I was thinking about running too. Almost thinking and autocross car would be fun to build out of it.
Yea I want a old school look I was looking at one sportster on google images that has a half top, and my wife said that it reminded her of the Waltons truck.. Im thinking of using some 66 mustang seats that I have that came out of a Manx that my neighbor has. I put one in there on the drivers side. It didn't sit to bad. But may have brackets made to get them up off the floor. the sliders on the seats need work. But it would be on less thing to track down.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello,

Looks like we have some new Empi Sportster coming around!

Post some pics and give some details.

Tony
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Well me and my neighbor got mine running last Saturday, he came over Monday while I was at work and adjusted the valves. It ran pretty good . We plan on cranking it back up to see how it sounds this weekend. I think theres a rats nest under the 1& 2 tin. So after we do a fire up I just go ahead and start cleaning the engine up best I can then pull it off.
I did order a nice wood grain steering wheel from the classified here. But want be putting it on for awhile. I giving the old one it to my neighbor for his Manx. Im hoping the engine will turn out all right for now it would save me some money. Just going over plans in my head of how I want this thing to turn out. Its not going to be a trailer queen its going to be driven. Im hoping to use it a lot more than my fg buggy.
PG Sportster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have some questions for the group.

1.) How many years did EMPI produce the Sportster? From 1963 until ?
A.) The kit ?
B.) The completed car?

2.) How many kits were produced?

3.) How many completed cars were produced.

Thanks.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

From all the reading I've been doing on the internet I never have come across any "numbers" on the kits ect. I bet back in the day the company didn't keep any records cause it was just the here and now time. Im like you I wish I knew to how many there were. When I got my Sportster its the first one I'd seen in person. Ive been to a few VW shows in last couple of years and never seen one there. Plus Ive looked at photos from other shows and haven't seen any. You ought to order the plans its a pretty ggod read.
PG Sportster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I agree about the plans, I do have reproduced set. I have also collected most the the magazine articles on Sportsters too. Still no information on the production numbers and years. Bummer.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

PG Sportster,

They are like weeds, you know there are out there but don't know when you will see them.

Really have a tough time with that. There are so many that are on the road, many in dark garages and some in field or deserts.

I have had my Sporty since 06, I have met 3 guys within 60 miles of my home that had one.

The largest was several years ago in Big Bear at Meyers Manx party. 4.

If you get one post it with some pics. Wink

tony
Los Angeles
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

PG Sportster,

Check out OTTVW build. If you can find a mint body "GET IT"!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

PG Sportster wrote:
I agree about the plans, I do have reproduced set. I have also collected most the the magazine articles on Sportsters too. Still no information on the production numbers and years. Bummer.

The info on production numbers and years is out there, it just needs to be collected and figured out. Each serial number stamped in a factory Sportster included a production serial number and year.

Winnie Meyers started the Meyers Manx registry over twenty years ago and recorded has recorded hundreds of Manx serial numbers which also show the production month and year. From that information even though its not complete its been possible to reconstruct the Meyers production history.

The same can be done with Sportsters even with just a fraction of the data, but first somebody needs to set up a permanent Sportster Registry

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:
yankee1919 wrote:
Awesome pics guys!

Ottvw,

Since you have a great shell to work on, If I can suggest a couple of things.

Put a good primer to seal the metal.

The spare tire mount, i would prefer to use spare lug nuts that match the tires you are mounting.

If you go with soft top, get a good quality marine grade canvas.
Keep us up to date.

tony
Hey What color are you going to Paint it? I did alittle work the seats Im using which is 66 mustang. They came in a Manx my neighbor got. I got the seat tracks working and got bolts loose that hold them on since they got to come off to be recovered.. My first car was a 66 Mustang and this Sportster might be my last car to mess with. They sit pretty good. I know their not VW but I already have them but their old. I may two tone them to match the top when I get a new one made.

Thanks!!

I'm planning on doing a proper sealer and paint.

The spare tire will be 4.5" wide brm with matching lug nut. The wheels are 6.5's.

I don't plan on running a top since it'll be a fair weather car
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello All,

Any new pics? Spring is here!
YASHA7FOLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

So I found a sportster in my area. It's in decent shape. What is a good price for these?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Decent as in running ? or decent resto job? I think 1000.00 to 1500.00 I paid right a grand for mine off Ebay plus shipping. But if you can get it lower by all means try it.Post up some pics of it if you can.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello YASHA7FOLD,

Just get it! Just make sure you verify it as a Empi Sportster. Not a burro or toad.

They have similar angles but very different in the fender area.

Good luck.

Tony
YASHA7FOLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
Decent as in running ? or decent resto job? I think 1000.00 to 1500.00 I paid right a grand for mine off Ebay plus shipping. But if you can get it lower by all means try it.Post up some pics of it if you can.

Not running. I'm fact there isn't an engine even in it. It does however have a transmission and gear reduction boxes.

Last edited by YASHA7FOLD on Thu May 05, 2016 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 33

Jump to: