Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
EarlT,

If I can suggest to modify the spare tire mount that will accept vw lug nuts.

Most Empi Sportsters have studs and I often wondered why not have vw lug nuts instead.

Tony, do you mean the stock VW lug bolts?

Press in studs and lug nuts are stronger than the stock lug bolts which just thread into the cast iron drum. Its also easier to mount a wheel on studs
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

From what I can tell the VW lug bolts would be to short. I put my rim on top of the bracket which held up the wheel, but with a tire on there dont think the rim would rest on the bracket. Im going to get some threaded rod and cut what I need then use a jam nut or may get the nut welded (the one under the bracket) I hope to get the bracket back this week, did get a old style hub cap off ebay for it
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello,

BL3Manx, yes that is correct.

VPONDER, great to hear you are moving along on the project.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

yankee1919 wrote:
EarlT,

If I can suggest to modify the spare tire mount that will accept vw lug nuts.

Most Empi Sportsters have studs and I often wondered why not have vw lug nuts instead.

Just a thought.

Tony

Other than having to thread the mount to accept a vw lug, placing a heavy tire over a stud is easier than tryimg to line up the wheel with a hole then threading the bolt in. I think its just easier to secure with two or three studs on the mount.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Got the bracket on today, theres a little flex in the hood. I took it for a spin to see if it would shake and its pretty stable. But I have a little block of hard rubber I got from some where, I'm going wedge it under the tire on the low side maybe lock it down with double sided tape instead of drilling another hole in the hood. The rim was a close fit to the bracket. I found a locking nut that wasn't as tall as a regular nut to lock the stud. I may put some anti-seize on the studs just in case, those nuts that hold it down are'nt that tight just enough to engaged the lock washer and just a bit more.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

That looks great!
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thanks, told the wife , should have taken a pic of the new to me seats that are in it, I picked them up at a swap meet for 100.00 . They appeared to be conversion van captain chairs. Had the bases cut down and rewelded. They both have flip down armrest which is nice. Got use to resting my arm on the side of my FG buggy. The seats will be recovered in the future. Also at the end of the month Im going to pull the trigger on new wheels.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
No, I don't own them and have no connection with them. I believe I may have seen the red one at Topaz Lake last year. I think they're probably worth the same as a similar fiberglass bodied buggy.

I believe some Sportsters have factory serial numbers stamped on the body. If they do, they're probably worth more than one that doesn't have one.

Where is that stamped on the body?
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I think it is on a tag , on top of the original vin location
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I believe they were on an aluminum tag, pop-riveted forward of the chassis serial number on the tunnel

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

This is a Sportster type I saw on Craigs in Chico, CA. The builder deviated from the standard Sportster configuration in a couple of interesting ways. He designed the body to be wider from the seats back so that the rear tires are mostly covered by tubs without external fenders. I think it makes a sleek look but I think it would look better with a fuel tank set down into a cargo bed rather than the round sand rail tank sitting in back. I also like the curved steel tube design of the windshield frame and pivot. Its got some nice lines, the builder clearly has a talent for design

[/img]
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

It looks to me that the tail might be restricting intake of air to the cooling fan.
Some nice design.ideas though.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
It looks to me that the tail might be restricting intake of air to the cooling fan.

You're right, I didn't see that

I wonder if those pieces on top of the front fenders are latches to hold the windshield frame when its down
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello All,

January is almost gone but Empi Sportsters are still around.

Lets see some new pics for 2017.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

So I was going to go with a lowered look but plans changed. Decided to go lifted! Here's some progress!

vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Like the stance of that, looks good.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thanks! Just using 2 1/2" lift spindles with a reinindexed rear.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:

Ball joint or link pin front? Which spindles?
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Well yesterday my new wheels came in, was nt expecting them . I got them from CIP1 and got the free shipping which was 7 to 10 days. I ordered this past Monday. The DHL driver even put them in my shop for me. I got the fronts off and got the studs put in last night but I could not get the back lugs to come loose. Im going to have to have the fronts mounted then put them on then drive it up to the tire shop to get the backs on.
I went up to the tire shop to see if they had the tires I wanted and they didn't , the owner jumped on the phone and got them coming be here today at 10 am. Only getting two to match the Coopers that was on the front. Im glad the tire store is close to my house its 45 degree this morning. I also got a front mat for it to , the one that goes over the hump.
Im going to be putting a thin type padding under the mat, getting it from a swap meet that is going on in a near by town, The padding is a mat also made for standing on ect. will post some pics soon when I get it all together.

Last edited by vponder on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
ottvw wrote:

Ball joint or link pin front? Which spindles?

Ball joint

A guy I know made them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 33

Jump to: