Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Wheel Colors
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualref
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Correct Wheel Colors Reply with quote

I have a 70 Beetle I am in the process of restoring. It will be a stock restoration.

Looking at the photos in the 1970 VW Sales brochures, the wheels appear to be a two tone color, the inner part being black and the outer rim being white or off white. This appears to be the same with the 1969 models as well.

My question is what color white is the outer rim? Pearl White? Savannah Beige? It doesn't appear to be a true white. The wheels I have on the car now are just plain painted silver. I'd like this to be an accurate restoration.
Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya dual,

Go with what you have right now. Unlike the 69s, the wheels on 1970 sedans were painted all silver.

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dualref
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.
If you want to see something funny, look at the 1969 and 1970 Sedan sales brochures here in the archives. In both years they have the same photo, a picture of a convertible and a sedan on a beach.
It looks like the exact same photo was used for both years, but for 1970 they 'painted in" the side reflectors and bumper reflectors on the cars for the 1970 years.
What's interesting is that the wave action and tire marks in the sand are exactly the same for both years!
Since this was eons before PhotoShop was available, I imagine they forgot to paint the wheels silver!
Interesting stuff, eh?

1969 Brochure
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Brochure

Allen
70 Beetle
70 Square
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a lot cheaper to retouch than to reshoot!

Cool!
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They painted in hood louvers too. Cool ! Yes your car would have silver wheels.
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome Silver L91 is the correct color code for 1970 Wheels. Even though it is called "chrome" it has an aluminum not too shiny finish. It may be availble from Wolfsburg West in a rattle can. I have also used Argent Silver from Eastwood as a substitute and it is a fairly good match. Not too glossy. It is a good long lasting paint with high solid content. I stay away from Krylon and Rustoleum. Usually the color is wrong and not as much solids in the paint. More thinners.
gcbbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted mine with Rustoleum. I then sprayed a clear gloss over it to protect and to give it a baked enamel look. They turned out beautiful with the high polished hubcap. Cool
Jerry
dualref
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it would be best to take these wheels in and have them sand blasted before painting. Is there any specific kind of primer that works good on wheel applications?
Thanks for the great info, that Eastwood product looks great.
gcbbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandblasting is the way to go although I was money tight and time blessed when I did mine. I wanted to keep working on the bug so I wire brushed and then sanded(by hand),now that's work. I'm a big fan of Rustoleum Auto Primer. It covers well,makes a good base for your color,and can be wet sanded. I buy mine at Home Depot. I think I pay about $3.99. Little more expensive than Krylon but I've always trusted Rustoleum. Showing my age again. Idea
Jerry
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya dual,

That is a great picture(s)!

I spotted another item the guys with the airbrush overlooked. In 1970 the glovebox door and the screens around the speedometer would have been painted gray black (L43) not the exterior color as in the 1969 model year.

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookwus wrote:
Hiya dual,

Go with what you have right now. Unlike the 69s, the wheels on 1970 sedans were painted all silver.

Hi all,

I know this an old thread but I like researching old threads before I start a new thread.

My 1970 does not have all silver rims. The part covered by the hubcap is black as seen in the 1970 owner's manual photos below. I know the quote above is referring to the earlier style where the outside of the hubcap area was two-tone and then became all silver. I am referring to the whole rim of the 1970 Beetle including the section uder the hubcap. I have had several people tell me my black paint inside under the hubcap is not correct and I have always been curious about this since my car matched the manual photos.

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel Colors Reply with quote

Hi,
the blackish wheel center is correct, they used black like a primer, also for the backside of the wheels, and sprayed only the outer rim silver - it is the same at the all original spare tire of my 1974 Super. I guess they saved o.oooo1 Pfennig by doing this.
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel Colors Reply with quote

What is the PPG paint code for L91 silver wheel paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: