Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

Hi All, I figured it was time to create a thread for my beetle project, instead of inundating this forum with short threads with questions.

The car in question is a 1977 Standard Type I Sunroof, Fuel Injected, originally Bahama Blue, with x27,000 on the odometer. Uncertain where it came from, but it's a New England car now.

I bought this beetle, "running", in August of 2023. Nothing about it is in particularly good condition, but the price was right, so here I am. I'm a long-time tinkerer and shadetree mechanic. I'm an engineer in my professional life, and vintage Volkswagens are particularly fascinating to me because of just how much functionality VW crammed into their cars with relatively little mechanical complexity. Earlier this year I brought eight VW's belonging to a close friend from barn-find to running condition for an event he was hosting. I guess I got bit by the VW bug in the process, and just had to go out and buy my own.

This car has had an unknown number of owners before me. The previous owner was a teenager who did a lot of hack teenager-type stuff on it. Not hating, I've certainly been there, but I want to bring this car back to "nice" Sunday driver condition, so I have a lot of interesting work to undo and neglect to remedy.

Here's the threads I've already posted about this car, for reference:

Fifth Injector Voltage: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787254&highlight=

Fuel Injected Engine Tin: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=786819&highlight=

New Starter Grinding: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785791&highlight=

Scaly Carbon Buildup: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=784409&highlight=

I'll post a slew of pictures in a follow-up post. Thanks in advance to all the wizened minds who I'm sure will help me through this!
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

A few fuel injector related questions:

I pulled my injectors to run them through the ultrasonic. I removed the inlet screens, a couple of them have holes. Does anyone have a source for these?

Of the four injectors, only one of them is a genuine VW part. They also have three different part numbers: 280 150 112, 280 150 116, and 280 150 11? I list the third one as a question mark because the final digit is illegible. This injector is the genuine VW one. Upon testing them each after cleaning, it also has a significantly different spray pattern than the other three, and upon visual inspection, has a differently-shaped pintle tip (pictured below, but hard to see). Any ideas on what’s going on here? Does the final digit on the PN denote something important, or are the injectors interchangeable?

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

That 77 was for sale, for a long time. Looks like it finally, went to a good home.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

Replacing my temperature sensor 2 as the wire connection at the sensor was frayed and angry-looking, and I noticed this little extension nut on the sensor. Is this stock? (Sensor pictured is obviously the new one).

Seems like something that could have been installed to fool the sensor into thinking the head is cooler than it actually is.

Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

yes, that extension is stock and not some method fooling the ecu. If I remember correctly, there was a TSB adding the extender, providing a longer rich mixture until the engine is fully warmed up.

Make sure there is no corrosion in the head were that screws in.

here is mine:

MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
yes, that extension is stock and not some method fooling the ecu. If I remember correctly, there was a TSB adding the extender, providing a longer rich mixture until the engine is fully warmed up.

here is mine:
Then after that there was another TSB to not use them as they were causing other issues. I remember seeing it posted here at some point years ago. It was NOT stock originally, it was a band aid. I've tried using the sensor with and without and honestly can't really notice a difference
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

FI Standard Bugs are rare, nice find!

While you have your injectors out, see if you can have them cleaned and tested. Don't have much thought about getting replacements.

Even though the color isn't original, I like it!

-Dan
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

I will be following along! I have a little spot in my heart for 77 sunroof Bugs. That last one I semirestored was the best driving Bug I have ever been in! I miss it! I should have never sold it.

I had a thread on here, that I kept up to date. Might be worth a look. Think there are several fuel injected tid bits in there! And it was my shortest build thread, like 9 pages.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711477

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I will be following along! I have a little spot in my heart for 77 sunroof Bugs. That last one I semirestored was the best driving Bug I have ever been in! I miss it! I should have never sold it.

I had a thread on here, that I kept up to date. Might be worth a look. Think there are several fuel injected tid bits in there! And it was my shortest build thread, like 9 pages.

Good luck!

You can buy another 77 rust free, in the Southwest cheap.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Good luck!

You can buy another 77 rust free, in the Southwest cheap.

I wish I could. The 54 Oval has consumed all of the funds, plus a bunch more! Wifey is going to kill me one of these days! Plus I still have the 70 Bug running around. It is my grocery, car parts go get them car! 3 Bugs and she would flip!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

dopeboat wrote:
A few fuel injector related questions:

I pulled my injectors to run them through the ultrasonic. I removed the inlet screens, a couple of them have holes. Does anyone have a source for these?

Of the four injectors, only one of them is a genuine VW part. They also have three different part numbers: 280 150 112, 280 150 116, and 280 150 11? I list the third one as a question mark because the final digit is illegible. This injector is the genuine VW one. Upon testing them each after cleaning, it also has a significantly different spray pattern than the other three, and upon visual inspection, has a differently-shaped pintle tip (pictured below, but hard to see). Any ideas on what’s going on here? Does the final digit on the PN denote something important, or are the injectors interchangeable?

If you want to rebuild the injectors yourself Injector Rehab sells the kits cheap. They are very easy to rehab. Several of the units I've rebuilt had damaged screens in the feed side. If you don't want to DIY, there are a couple good places that can do it for you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

here is mine:
Then after that there was another TSB to not use them as they were causing other issues. I remember seeing it posted here at some point years ago. It was NOT stock originally, it was a band aid. I've tried using the sensor with and without and honestly can't really notice a difference

This is why I love thesamba. There’s enough knowledge for people to know that it was a TSB and that it was then revoked. Thank you both for your input!
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Good luck!

That is a great thread, thank you for linking (and for going through all that before me)! The vacuum-leak struggle is real. I didn’t realize the intake even had those lower boots that could be a factor. Ugh - one more thing to check and probably replace. Loved your write-up on the front disc conversion and AFM bits.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

subbed, I have the same vehicle. So bummed the sunroof doesn't currently work.

About to embark on an engine upgrade. New jugs, pistons, heads. That will all lead to new fuel lines, probably new injectors, possibly new rear wiring harness, heat channels. . . . rabbit hole entry to commence in 3, 2, 1.
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
subbed, I have the same vehicle. So bummed the sunroof doesn't currently work.

About to embark on an engine upgrade. New jugs, pistons, heads. That will all lead to new fuel lines, probably new injectors, possibly new rear wiring harness, heat channels. . . . rabbit hole entry to commence in 3, 2, 1.

Might want to check out Jimbo’s thread above, he’s got some great sunroof info in there. What specifically isn’t working on yours?
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

[quote="dopeboat"]
unclewede wrote:

Might want to check out Jimbo’s thread above, he’s got some great sunroof info in there. What specifically isn’t working on yours?

The springs are sprung. Seems that when I had the headliner replaced, the person who put the front crank back together used a power drill and WAY overtightened everything, possibly cracked the little gear. Plus all the felt is shot.

Right now, to keep it "sealed" I put a little block of wood under the back half to push it up level with the rest of the roof line.
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

Update: I got the renewed injectors reinstalled, and replaced all the fuel lines in the back end of the car while I was at it. I did have a persistent issue with the return line leaking where it meets the hardline coming out of the frame rail, but all seems to be copacetic now.

I replaced all of the vacuum lines on the engine, and I have an intake boot kit standing by in the event I find those are leaking.

My injector connectors were shot, some of the terminals would pull right out of the back of the connector, so I replaced all four (fifth injector connector seems fine).

I retorqued the lower head bolts all around, as I'd previously only snugged them up on the passenger side, having been totally loose. Then adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gaskets, which were petrified and leaking all over the heater boxes.

I adjusted the points to 0.018", started the engine, and set timing with a strobe. The engine was previously timed VERY hot, probably 15° BTDC. I was only able to time it down to 5° BTDC before I started to have issues. The manual asks for 5° ATDC, though, so I'm a little perplexed there. Would a vacuum leak cause me to not be able to time it down? See below a video of the engine starting and running when timed as such. It sounds like a very happy VW to me. I also checked the dwell and it falls within spec, though I can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head.

The next day I returned to the garage and was unable to start the engine. One step forward, two steps back! I checked for spark and fuel, both of which were present. I had a feeling the timing must somehow be an issue, so I pulled my dwell/voltage meter back out and checked static timing, which was right on where it should be.

While cranking with my remote starter, though, I noticed out of the corner of my eye the voltage meter drop to around 6v while cranking, measured at the negative side of the coil. That certainly doesn't seem like enough to drive all of the FI components, but could be wrong there. I pulled one of the injector connectors and stuck a noid light on it to see if it was even getting voltage while cranking. It lit very dimly. In retrospect, I should have just used a multimeter to see exactly how much voltage it was getting, but I didn't. I stuck the battery on the charger and we'll see today if a freshly charged battery makes a difference. FYI the battery is brand new.

HOWEVER, I have a sneaking suspicion this might have something to do with the starter. In a previous thread, a few people had suggested to use an autostick starter instead of the proper manual starter for the car, given that it allows you to skip the absolute faff of dealing with the starter bushing. The starter hasn't given me issues, but it occurs to me that I didn't upsize the battery. Is it possible that the beefier-than-stock starter is drawing too much amperage and starving the FI components? I do also get a very nasty half-second grinding noise when the engine starts, before I release the key, which I attribute to the starter being non-stock, but that's an issue for another day.

Additionally, if anyone is still actually reading at this stage, I noticed in the course of troubleshooting the no-start condition this time that my axial crankshaft end play has got to be at least 40-50 thousandths. Yikes. I knew this engine was probably due for a rebuild at some point, but I didn't think it had been quite that badly abused.

Link

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

Why didn't you change the intake boots when you had the intake off to get at the upper head nuts|?, you did retorque all 8 nuts on each side,,, right?

Don't bother with that -5* idle unless you are sure the vacuum can and distributor work properly and all the hoses are on the right nipples, timing at speed with the hoses off is the only safe way to time a 40+ year old system. For now time it to 7.5* BTDC with both hoses off at idle to get it into the ballpark.

Axial play?, how are you measuring this?

Have you removed both battery cables and cleaned both ends as well as where they attach to the car?. How about the braided strap between the transmission nose and the frame horn?, if any of those are not making a good connection no battery in the world will solve a weak cranking symptom.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Fuel Injected Standard Project Page Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Why didn't you change the intake boots when you had the intake off to get at the upper head nuts|?, you did retorque all 8 nuts on each side,,, right?

Don't bother with that -5* idle unless you are sure the vacuum can and distributor work properly and all the hoses are on the right nipples, timing at speed with the hoses off is the only safe way to time a 40+ year old system. For now time it to 7.5* BTDC with both hoses off at idle to get it into the ballpark.

Axial play?, how are you measuring this?

Have you removed both battery cables and cleaned both ends as well as where they attach to the car?. How about the braided strap between the transmission nose and the frame horn?, if any of those are not making a good connection no battery in the world will solve a weak cranking symptom.

I.... may or may not have only retorqued the lower head nuts Embarassed Somewhere on here I read someone suggest that the lower nuts are usually the looser and more problematic ones anyway, which I was happy to believe in that it conveniently made my life a lot easier! I do have great compression all around, all 110lbs plus.

Thus I didn't have the intake off at all. Is it possible to remove the cylinder head tins with the engine in the car, by removing the intake? I know everybody who works on a vintage VW should be comfortable pulling and reinstalling the engine, and I will get there, but the circumstances surrounding where my beetle is currently stored would make the optics of removing the engine in rather poor taste at the moment.

Regarding the timing, you'd recommend removing and plugging both hoses even though the manual asks for both hoses on the DVDA to be attached during timing procedure?

Off the top of my head I'm not 100% certain I cleaned the battery ground connection on the car, but I think I must have while troubleshooting the starter last fall. I'll investigate. One thing I certainly haven't done yet is check the braided strap between transmission and frame. I guess I imagined that because the starter cranks appropriately, the ground strapping couldn't be a problem, but I'm realizing now that may have been an erroneous assumption. I'll investigate that as well.

RE: axial play. Just eyeballing it. Visually it's a lot more than it looks like it should be to me. The distributor rotor also turns slightly while pushing/pulling on the crank pulley. Probably not ideal for dialing in the timing...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: