Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Adjustment and Soft Pedal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Brake Adjustment and Soft Pedal Reply with quote

Question:
In addition to air in the brake system, could poor adjustment of the brakes (via adjusting stars) lead to a soft pedal, or is that strictly a brake fluid issue??

Thanks,

Michael
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got over a whole sack full of brake problems with my '72 Super. I had soft pedal and these where my top three issues: 1, All four soft hoses where plugged. 2, My "new" master cylinder piston would hang-up in the bore making it impossible to build pressure. 3, Getting a second person involved in the bleeding process. New hoses, better master cylinder, and a freind cured my brake woes. But to answer question, improper bleeding / air in lines will give a soft pedal. I also found out too that new bake shoes will give a "Soft" feeling until they brake in.

-Nick-

Oh yeah, adjust your pads all the way out to bleed, then back in afterwards just until there is a "slight drag". Drive for a week or so and readjust.
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my poor wife got stuck pumping the brakes yesterday. Poor thing.

Anyway, what do you mean to "adjust your pads all the way out to bleed"? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Michael
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mloret wrote:

Anyway, what do you mean to "adjust your pads all the way out to bleed"?

Michael

Michael,
He meant to adjust the pads away from the shoe.
Actually, most people will tell you to properly adjust the shoes prior to doing the bleeding... i.e. get the shoes just starting to drag, then back off the star adjuster about 2 or 3 clicks.

Here's some more info if you haven't seen this site:
http://www.vw-resource.com/bleed2.html
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You turn the star adjusters and run one shoe at a time out until it is tight against the drum so you cannot turn the wheel. Then back off 2-3 clicks on the adjuster until the shoe just barely drag on the drum, then do that again with the other shoe for that wheel (you will do this with all 8 shoes if you are servicing both front and rear brakes). Do this for new shoe installation and for the regular 3000-5000 mile adjustments. This centers the shoes on the drum for the best braking results. After you do this operation, then proceed with bleeding if necessary. If you push on the brakes and the shoes of a particular wheel do not retract then you may have a bad brake hose. All the brake hoses should be replaced periodically as the rubber will swell internally and can act like a check valve and not release the brake fluid causing the shoes to drag heavily on the given drum.
Topline Parts
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think Nick was trying to suggest you expand all the brake shoes until they are tight against the drums and you cannot turn the wheels. THEN bleed the system. This method has worked for me in the past.

The idea is that reducing the wheel cylinder movement to almost zero means all brake pedal movement builds pressure and forces the maximum fluid out during each "squirt".

When you get the pedal firmness good, then go back and adjust the shoes as directed above.

EDIT: in answer to your original question, "yes", if your brake shoe adjustment was so bad that most of your pedal travel was against the brake springs and not the inside of the drum... It would feel "mushy".
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I meant... works like a charm! Bug brakes are easy to work with once you know all the tricks.!

-Nick-
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely with dual MC you really want to fully lock up all four wheels with the brake shoes adjusted all the way out against the brake drums.

Then after bleeding the brake system you loosen each adjuster till each drum will turn, a slight drag here and there when turning each wheel is OK.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julrich366 wrote:
mloret wrote:

Anyway, what do you mean to "adjust your pads all the way out to bleed"?

Michael

Michael,
He meant to adjust the pads away from the shoe.
Actually, most people will tell you to properly adjust the shoes prior to doing the bleeding... i.e. get the shoes just starting to drag, then back off the star adjuster about 2 or 3 clicks.

Here's some more info if you haven't seen this site:
http://www.vw-resource.com/bleed2.html

Michael,
If you follow the procedure that John has shown, you will be fine. I have done it this way since 1976 and have never encountered any issues. Good luck Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: