Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory removable hardtop?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Factory removable hardtop? Reply with quote

I took our youngest child out for a drive last night in the Karmann Ghia. We cruised around for a bit and used the drive-through at a McDonnalds for a snack. They forgot the straws, so I find a parking space and run inside, only to come back out to find a group of people gathered around the car. We talk for a while, and one guy states that his Ghia has a removable hardtop. I'm thinking that someone either built a Carson top for their vert, or chopped off their hardtop and made it removable. However, he said that it looks like it was originally made this way and has a stock-looking release crank and hardware. This not a kid who sold his honda for a Ghia, but an established man in his forties or so who has other classic cars.

Did Karmann ever build a removable hardtop Ghia?

Paul
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom build.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4326505&highlight=#4326505
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually did, in 1961, for Wihlelm Karmann's sister, Else. It was based on a blue Cabriolet off the assembly line. The hardtop was made of metal and internally reinforced with a framework of tubing, and looked rather similar to a 1990-1999 Mazda Miata's optional removable hardtop.

Hardtop Cabriolet Prototype studies were undertaken by Karmann in 1958, late 1960 (Else's car), and again in 1968, but the modifications required to a standard Cabriolet (whose folded top we all know protrudes so significantly above the bodywork of the car) made it too cost-prohibitive to incorporate a folding top (to the high standard of a Karmann folding top) and the handworking involved on the hardtop itself made it too expensive for Karmann to offer - it would have been a separate model besides the standard Cabriolet and standard Coupe.

As to the provenance of thie car in the OP's story: I think it would be highly unlikely that it were a "factory" product, although I think it would be probable that a very good coachbuilder in Germany (equivalent to a body shop in the USA) could easily have come up with one by cutting the roof off a Coupe and refitting it to the same Coupe, incorporating body and roof structural reinforcements and a rudimentary (a'la Porsche Speedster or MG) uninsulated canvas top.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmann Gheezer wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4326505&highlight=#4326505

He even promised more pictures......oh well Crying or Very sad but never delivered.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
I think it would be highly unlikely that it were a "factory" product, although I think it would be probable that a very good coachbuilder in Germany (equivalent to a body shop in the USA) could easily have come up with one by cutting the roof off a Coupe and refitting it to the same Coupe, incorporating body and roof structural reinforcements

That is probably the most likely scenario. I should have asked for his number so I could see it. I only hope they did the reinforcements, or that would be one loose goose! It's not a project I would consider, especially if it had the blindspots of the one pictured above. Missing the rear quarter windows also makes the car look too blocky and heavy for it's proportions, rather than graceful and balanced like the regular Cabriolet.
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
[....Missing the rear quarter windows also makes the car look too blocky and heavy for it's proportions, rather than graceful and balanced like the regular Cabriolet.

What do you mean? Looks very much like a cabriolet with the top up. Convertible tops do not have quarter windows. However, that custom made top looks like it has a sedan rear window thereby increasing visibility out the rear and rear sides.

As long as your head can turn on its neck, then you really do not have much of a blind spot in a Ghia.

The only thing that can 'hide' in that blind spot would be a pedestrian, a moped, or someone on a bicycle....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark33563 wrote:
Altema wrote:
[....Missing the rear quarter windows also makes the car look too blocky and heavy for it's proportions, rather than graceful and balanced like the regular Cabriolet.

What do you mean? Looks very much like a cabriolet with the top up. Convertible tops do not have quarter windows. However, that custom made top looks like it has a sedan rear window thereby increasing visibility out the rear and rear sides.

As long as your head can turn on its neck, then you really do not have much of a blind spot in a Ghia.

The only thing that can 'hide' in that blind spot would be a pedestrian, a moped, or someone on a bicycle....

Perhaps it's the subtle difference in shape, or the protruding back window of the hardtop that makes the difference. Being all white can't help, and perhaps that's why VW used a different color for the top.

Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything, the removable hard top has less of a blind spot.

I do agree with you, too much of one color. The large amount of glass on the sedan does break it up a bit....perhaps that is why the '50s corvettes had chrome trim on their removable hard tops.

I do not like white cars either. Prefer darker colors (black, drk blue, burgundy, etc.) but to each their own. It is not my car, so I don't have to like the color. Smile

I always thought a removable hard top for a Ghia would be a neat 'option' to have. I like what they have created but I no longer have a Ghia convertible...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
They actually did, in 1961, for Wihlelm Karmann's sister, Else. It was based on a blue Cabriolet off the assembly line. The hardtop was made of metal and internally reinforced with a framework of tubing, and looked rather similar to a 1990-1999 Mazda Miata's optional removable hardtop. ...

Hello Dave,

I think, you are talking about this prototype: Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfgang klinkert wrote:
retrowagen wrote:
They actually did, in 1961, for Wihlelm Karmann's sister, Else. It was based on a blue Cabriolet off the assembly line. The hardtop was made of metal and internally reinforced with a framework of tubing, and looked rather similar to a 1990-1999 Mazda Miata's optional removable hardtop. ...

Hello Dave,

I think, you are talking about this prototype: Wink

That's correct, Wolfgang; however, the build date is always quoted incorrectly... it was pulled from the series production stream in late 1960 and has a 40-HP motor and mechanics...
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
retrowagen wrote:
I think it would be highly unlikely that it were a "factory" product, although I think it would be probable that a very good coachbuilder in Germany (equivalent to a body shop in the USA) could easily have come up with one by cutting the roof off a Coupe and refitting it to the same Coupe, incorporating body and roof structural reinforcements

That is probably the most likely scenario. I should have asked for his number so I could see it. I only hope they did the reinforcements, or that would be one loose goose! It's not a project I would consider, especially if it had the blindspots of the one pictured above. Missing the rear quarter windows also makes the car look too blocky and heavy for it's proportions, rather than graceful and balanced like the regular Cabriolet.

I always take what people like this say with a grain of salt. Most of the time, the person who passes along this type of information is a casual observer who isn't well acquainted with cars or even that particular car. Every so often a Ghia owner will be "educated" by someone who says, "Yeah, them old Carmin Ghee-ahs had Porsche motors. I knew a guy who had a Ghee-ah came that way from the fac-tree." Rolling Eyes Uh huh, please tell me more.

Would it be nice to see a well thought out custom? Sure, but in the interim it's just best to smile and nod. After all, there were just a few Type 34 Cabriolets built and only one or two still exist. Does that mean Karmann produced a Type 34 Cabriolet? In my mind they did not because it was never produced for sale.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
I always take what people like this say with a grain of salt. Most of the time, the person who passes along this type of information is a casual observer who isn't well acquainted with cars or even that particular car. Every so often a Ghia owner will be "educated" by someone who says, "Yeah, them old Carmin Ghee-ahs had Porsche motors. I knew a guy who had a Ghee-ah came that way from the fac-tree." Rolling Eyes Uh huh, please tell me more.

Would it be nice to see a well thought out custom? Sure, but in the interim it's just best to smile and nod. After all, there were just a few Type 34 Cabriolets built and only one or two still exist. Does that mean Karmann produced a Type 34 Cabriolet? In my mind they did not because it was never produced for sale.

Amen.
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
That's correct, Wolfgang; however, the build date is always quoted incorrectly... it was pulled from the series production stream in late 1960 and has a 40-HP motor and mechanics...

Hello Dave,

have you already seen this car in ORIGINAL personally Question
Or where from do you have these very interesting information Question

In all our German Karmann Ghia literature it is dated between 1957 and 1959. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfgang klinkert wrote:
retrowagen wrote:

Hello Dave,

have you already seen this car in ORIGINAL personally Question
Or where from do you have these very interesting information Question

In all our German Karmann Ghia literature it is dated between 1957 and 1959. Confused

Hallo Wolfgang,

Lesen Sie "Dachfürst" von Klaus Morhammer, VW Speed, 12/2001.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Factory removable hardtop? Reply with quote

Karmann made a prototype convertible with a removable hardtop to sell the hardtop idea to VWAG, and it was (is?) still in their private museum in Osnabruke. (I'm guessing from memory that it is the blue one in the photo above. I've seen it person at least three times (1995, 1997 and 1999), dark-ish blue in color, absolutely awesome car! It had the convertible soft top tucked into the body and the hardtop fit over that. From what I remember of the museum signage on the car, I think it was a 1957 or 1958-ish lowlight body which featured the proposed upcoming body changes to the front and rear end for 1960 and on. Awesome prototype! I bet I have video that I shot in 10mm format somewhere of that car and the others in that museum, very hard back then to get in there for a tour.

Now that VWAG owns Karmann, I wonder what happened to all of those crazy Karmann-built cars in that museum? I hope they are all still tucked away in Osnabruke! There is a coffee-table book on the Karmann collection, in German I believe, that might show that removable hardtop prototype...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory removable hardtop? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Now that VWAG owns Karmann, I wonder what happened to all of those crazy Karmann-built cars in that museum? I hope they are all still tucked away in Osnabruke! There is a coffee-table book on the Karmann collection, in German I believe, that might show that removable hardtop prototype...

Bill Bowman

I think they're in the Wolfsburg Museum Bill. I think it was Patrick Baptist who mentioned it in one of the threads about the '53 Prototype.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
lowbuck72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory removable hardtop? Reply with quote

Not factory, but should have been

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory removable hardtop? Reply with quote

I bought a '74 back when I was just out of college (aka the 80's) from a kid in another frat. He wanted $300, and I let him wait for a while, as he had been on his way to a keg-er and somehow flipped the Ghia in the ditch. Must have hooked the front right on a stump or something. Anyway, My brother had a couple as well, and one of those became a donor for the top. I drove it for a bunch of years with the top welded at the front, and clamped at the rear, until I got more cars and that one became less of my driver. Anyway, I cut the top a few inches behind the windshield, and unclamped the rest and set that aside. Just an open air car now. Now its been 20 odd years, but it is time to start working out how to clamp the front edge back together, like marine clamps, some kind of gasket like on a 'vert, and rear hook points, etc. Well.. Maybe I will fit in between the '63 Notch and the '64 Deluxe restores.

Looking for a couple pointers.

1: clamps and gasket ideas for front edge.
2: gasket for top to body seal, would be from rear edge of driver door to rear edge of passenger door, a big U shaped thing. The donor top just rests down on top of the former rear window sills. Had some double sided tape on it back when.
3: ideas on rear attachment method, something the rear of the top would slide into then lower the front down to clamp that down. Maybe the other way around would be better tho, a hook up front then lower and clamp the rear down?

Im so-so with a MIG, but with time, I can get things to look OK.
lowbuck72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory removable hardtop? Reply with quote

Hi, I got some heavy sheet steel and boxed in the top of the windshield frame. i started y making templates out of cardboard. Then, after I laid the top on, it had about a half inch overlap on the windshield frame. Then I took a piece of 2 x 4 and cut the narrow edge to match the contour of the inside of the roof. Then I bonded it to the roof. Then I made steel dowels out of lag screws, screwing them into the wood where it meets the reinforced windshield frame. I cut the heads off the screws, and rounded the remaining edge. Then I drilled holes in the windshield frame to line up with the dowels. It's a snug fit, and I glued down some felt on the underside of the roof where it mates, which eliminated any wind noise. Then I added some latches. I did essentially the same thing under the quarter windows with steel dowels welded in pointing down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: