Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Please watch this 10 second video. When I rotate either rear wheel, there is a flapping noise from the transaxle.

Rear of the van jacked in the air, front wheels on the ground. Decoupler de-coupled.

I dont notice the sound while driving.

Rebuilt Porsche 944 Turbo axels and CV joints.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Mine did that, sounded like it had something stuck to the tire, turned out to be as bad ring an pinion.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I didn't want you to say. It was rebuilt a year ago by AA so hoping its something else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Do you have a locker in the rear?
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

No locker in the rear.
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Is this safe to drive, or is it going to explode on me on the hwy? Was planning on taking the Ms to Yosemite tomorrow. Sad
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

I wouldn't drive it until you figure out what is bad. If it is a bad R/P or anything else you are introducing metal shavings into the oil which feeds the bearing.
Hopefully it is not a R/P, but you'd better figure it out now.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Is the tranny in gear so nothing is turning inside the box but the spider gears? Are the two rear wheels just turning in opposite direction from each other when the noise is occurring? If these things are true then likely you are just hearing the spider gears meshing and have nothing to worry about.
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

The tranny is not in gear, so its just the one wheel turning. I didnt try turing it in gear so I dont know if the noise is different. I cannot hear anything while it is on the ground.

Could it just be spider gears? It doesn't sound metalic....
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Jacked it back up and put it in gear, and now there is no noise.

No noise when not in gear either. Could it have fallen back in place somehow?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

The answer would be "I don't know, or at least am not sure" If your pinion bearings are going, the ring and pinion could run out of alignment and cause noise.

FWIW, I have had pinion bearing problems on both automatic and manual Vanagon boxes.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

If you've busted a ring gear tooth, there's a pretty good chance the broken tooth is stuck on the drainplug magnet. If you have a broken tooth, you CANNOT drive it. Except perhaps gently downhill for a few miles, I've heard of that being done. Wink

Was that a 48hp Diesel I heard?..... If it's big engine methinks you need a habit of checking your drainplug at the drop of a hat, Syncro trans is getting way to expensive to treat casually.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
pyite20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

There was no engine on in the video, I was just turning the tire by hand. Now there is no noise. Drove it to town and back last night and there was no noise.

Could it have just been the spider gears in a weird position from jacking the car up on one side or something?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

^^^^
Agreed.

Check the magnet before you drive it again.

These boxes run very quiet so a noise like that is not good. But really strange that you do not hear it while driving. You could purchase a cheap scope and take a look inside the fill/drain ports to check some things out.

I have never had a transaxle heal itself after it starts making noises.

Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Is the tranny in gear so nothing is turning inside the box but the spider gears? Are the two rear wheels just turning in opposite direction from each other when the noise is occurring? If these things are true then likely you are just hearing the spider gears meshing and have nothing to worry about.

pyite20v wrote:
The tranny is not in gear, so its just the one wheel turning. I didnt try turing it in gear so I dont know if the noise is different. I cannot hear anything while it is on the ground.

Could it just be spider gears? It doesn't sound metalic....

OK so it's decpoupled, in neutral, one wheel off-ground. So the sound is when the spider gears are walking around the non-turning other axle gear, and spinning the pinion at double-speed...... Hmmm....

I'd tend to agree it's just the differential spider gears. They're straight-cut gears, which make noise, and they have no "bearings" thus have a little slop to wobble in. And I suppose they could make more noise when the oil is hot, and be quiet when cold? Spider gears don''t cause much trouble.

I can't end this post without advising you to look at your drainplug magnet anyway.......

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

I'd agree that's it's something with the spider gears, and that it's FAR from a normal sound. It could be that the shim on the backside of the side gear(s) has worn into the housing for some reason.

You didn't hear it driving into town because the spiders only move (relative to their matching side gears) when going through turns .. and even then they don't move much. Your noise test made the spiders WAY more active than they are in actual driving.

Please don't be lazy and just shrug this off .. show us your drain magnet.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

I wondered if the noise was perhaps the decoupler not 100% pulled into disengagement. The frequency of the noise seems a little too fast for spider gears. The decoupler rotates with the pinion shaft and the pinion shaft rotates at about 5 times wheel speed. Could you tell that the noise wasn't from the nose area of the tranny where the decoupler lives?

Mark
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

I think you're close, Mark .. I'm now thinking it was actually the tips of engagement teeth of shift sleeve and gear barely contacting, the result of not being in true neutral.

pyite20v wrote:
Jacked it back up and put it in gear, and now there is no noise.

No noise when not in gear either. Could it have fallen back in place somehow?

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this noise normal? On my 86 syncro, transaxle makes flapping Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I wondered if the noise was perhaps the decoupler not 100% pulled into disengagement. The frequency of the noise seems a little too fast for spider gears. The decoupler rotates with the pinion shaft and the pinion shaft rotates at about 5 times wheel speed. Could you tell that the noise wasn't from the nose area of the tranny where the decoupler lives?

Mark

If its the decoupler buzzing, prob can have someone put a hand on the flange. If it's that audible you should be able to feel that vibration near its source. Feel all over the trans for where it's coming from. Or use the broom-stick stethoscope method to transfer the sound to your ear-bone. Or since you're under the car, maybe a long screwdriver.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: