Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper fit question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Bumper fit question Reply with quote

Ok, I picked up some more used parts for my '71 Super. The doner car was a '70 standard that was being cut for baha. I got both the rear fenders, fit great. I also got both bumpers. The back bumper fits great.

The problem is the front bumper mounts are too narrow (they hit the front apron -vs- the fender holes) to fit the Super! I was looking on line and doing some reading befor I picked them up. As far as parts go it looked like 68-73 bumpers and brackets were all the same for both the standard and the super. Can any one tell me if its the brackets that are different for the '71 Super and the '70 standard or is it the whole bumper assembly?

Thanks
tele68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for threads on this, but I believe Super bumpers have less curvature than standards. The front bumper brackets also different, they have a longer offset "Z" flange, about 2-1/2" as opposed to standard 1-1/4" flange. This lets it mate up with the radius of the 73 up bumper, should be about 1-inch or so away from the fenders at the closest point. Even though the suppliers state 68-73, they are not the same for supers. I went through this same problem until I got the right ones. Try some online junk yards or ads for Super brackets. I found my pic showing the different brackets, one on the left is a 73 Super, but should work on 71-72, did on my 72 with a new so called 68-73 bumper, right is a standard. You may need to find a pair of those.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Tele. That pic answers the question. I did some searching but wasn't able to find anything definate. Appreciate the response.
tele68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get those and still have a standard bumper, it still may work with spacers behind the inner flat side holes. The longer flange outer side will give you the spacing away from the supers longer front fenders. These brackets shouldn't be too hard to find, lots of ads show piles of brackets, just ask the vendor to pick through them for this type. They should have a stamped VW logo on the side if the they are OG. Stay away from the aftermarket/brazilan ones, they are too thin IMHO. When I got those, I was told they came off a 73, but since they worked perfect on my 72, I think they are the same for 71 up Supers. The 73's have side holes in them for a reinforcing beam that was mandatory starting that year for the 5mph requirement that bolted in between the brackets, look in a Bentley manual for a pic of this set-up. The 71-72 wouldn't have the holes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: