Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Out window rubber '69 Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Pop Out window rubber '69 Squareback Reply with quote

Can we replace the window rubber on my son's '69 Squareback popout windows with out removing the whole window? It seems like the glass rubber/glass will come out easily. Not as sure about the outer rubber. It looks like it should be a snap. Is it?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If you're replacing the seals (2 per window), then they have to come completely out, and out of the frame. There are 4 screws (per window) that have to be removed to seperate the frame halfs. The screws can be a bugger to get out though, especially if rust has taken hold. However, that's the easy part of the job. Getting the inner seal on is pretty easy too, but getting the frame halfs back on will teach you new swear words, and likely give you a headache, as they are a real PIA to re-install. I've found using tie down straps (for ATV's) works great for closing up that last inch that really doesn't want to close. For the outer seal, you have to figure out which side is out, then stretch the seal to fit it in the groove, and work it around the frame. The last 4 inches of that seal are a PIA too, but with some persistance, it'll go on just fine. Use lots of soapy water for a lubricant. Plan on spending a full day doing both windows, as it's just that kind of job, meaning work slowly, so you don't damage anything.
Then you'll need 2 people to re-install the windows into the car. Use some 2 inch wide masking tape to hold the front seal lip/edge back, so you can hook the hooks into the window post. After it's in, and all bolted up, remove the 2 inch tape carefully, and you should be done. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch, thanks for the info. We just walked in from replacing the rubber and you are spot on about the screws. One on each window won't come out so the inner rubber on both sides remains. It is actually OK. We replaced the outer rubber and the tape idea is a good one, I'll remember it next time. I was thinking of drilling out the little screws in the frame but they seem to be 3.5mm, not 3 or 4 mm like the nice replacement screws they have at ACE hardware. I'll have some on hand when we go to do the inner seals. Yea we were wisihng these were just stationary windows, not pop outs at one point!
Thanks.
SVW-054
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck this sounds like a nasty job. I've replaced seals on early beetle popouts before and it wasn't the easiest job, I think it was a bit similar from memory but that was a few years ago now.

I need to do this on my 69 square as well, its the middle of winter here and the popouts are one of the many sources of leaks into the car at the moment. At least after reading this I'll know not to start on a Sunday afternoon like I tend to most jobs, thanks for the write up.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVW-054 wrote:
Yuck this sounds like a nasty job. I've replaced seals on early beetle popouts before and it wasn't the easiest job, I think it was a bit similar from memory but that was a few years ago now.

I need to do this on my 69 square as well, its the middle of winter here and the popouts are one of the many sources of leaks into the car at the moment. At least after reading this I'll know not to start on a Sunday afternoon like I tend to most jobs, thanks for the write up.

Yeah, it's basically the same job. The difference is that a Squareback's side windows are more squared off than a bugs. At least we can still get the seals.

On another note, I've got to redo my 65 Notch's rear quarter windows, as the inner seal is toast, and leaking water inside. I'll probably do it one of these days though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mywifesghia wrote:
Bobnotch, thanks for the info. We just walked in from replacing the rubber and you are spot on about the screws. One on each window won't come out so the inner rubber on both sides remains. It is actually OK. We replaced the outer rubber and the tape idea is a good one, I'll remember it next time. I was thinking of drilling out the little screws in the frame but they seem to be 3.5mm, not 3 or 4 mm like the nice replacement screws they have at ACE hardware. I'll have some on hand when we go to do the inner seals. Yea we were wisihng these were just stationary windows, not pop outs at one point!
Thanks.

They usually have to be drilled out. ISP sells new screws. I'm gonna have to re-do mine (again) at some point, but I'm putting it off as long as possible. IT WAS A PAIN.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i was going to replace one of my outer seals tomorrow and this so far is helpful but i was curious about how to get the whole window and all out to put the outer seal in.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the 3 screws holding the latch the window will swing out until it falls out of the 2 front hinge plates. Better to have a helper on the inside or outside if one is available your first time.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright i put the new seal in which was pretty easy with some soapy water. the hard part was putting the window back in, i think i have it back in now. it closes easy and opens without falling out so im pretty sure i did it right.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick for re-installing, is to hold the front of the new seal out with masking tape. After it is in, cut the tape away.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i didn't have masking tape but i used some duct tape to hold it back to install the window but it was still quite the pain in the butt. but it seems to be in like i said i guess time will tell.
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look at replacing mine soon. I have the rubbers (they came with the car) It's the outer rubber I'm looking at replacing, the part within the chrome trim, if you know what I mean?

The rubber that seals aginst the body is fine.
Is really that hard?
Fabinstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my drivers side window is so excited to have its seals replace it fell out all by itself the outher day while driving down the street...

+SLOWRIDERS+
69 sunroof square.
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just looked (i've been at work tonight) It's the bit between the glass and the trim. Doesn't look that difficult, ha, famous last words Laughing
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to do mine a while back but ran out of beer halfway through and havnt gotten around to attempting again.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballbag wrote:
Having just looked (i've been at work tonight) It's the bit between the glass and the trim. Doesn't look that difficult, ha, famous last words Laughing

See my post/write up above. You have to completely disassemble the window (frame included) to replace the inner seal. I hope you bought a pair of new outers too, otherwise you'll be SOL if you rip 1.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KevinR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pop outs that need redoing badly... I also have a set of non pop out windows that I might install temporarily. Is this OK?
VW Fact #128: Benefits of the Type III: better visibility, more space for people and objects, improved comfort, better roadhandling, reduced oversteer, less sensitivity to cross-winds, and more power.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non pop outs are easy to put in. We replaced the pop outs with non poppers.
Temmett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of replacing the inner and outer of both pop-outs. Bobnotch's early write up in this thread was extremely helpful (as was the entire conversation)! Thanks. As is par for the course I encountered two rusty screws. One came out relatively easily. The other, well, not so much. I had to drill it and now that I have everything a part, cleaned, and ready to go back together with new rubber I'm wondering what to do about this drilled out hole....?

I see that I can order new screws from ISP but as I look at the hole I'm wondering what good a new screw is going to do me if there are no threads for it to screw into.

Any thoughts?
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my notch popouts. All the screws came out except the last two of course. I had to drill them out. I then took a donor squareback frame and removed the nut plate. The rivets that hold the nut plate together are the same rivets that hold early bug vent window latches in and can be bought new from wolfsburg west for next to nothing. I then drilled out the nut plate on the notch frames and reinstalled the rivets. They have to be held in place on one side and pounded flat on the other. I spent three nights restoring them. It very tideous and will make you cuss. As for the outer seals I used spray white lithum grease and did not have to stretch seal just pushed it right in the track.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
More if my wife would let me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: