Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Suction Kit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Oil Suction Kit? Reply with quote

Just curious on the scoop on this thingy?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=194530
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it would work fine for a stock or very mild engine, but other than that i think it would restrict the oil pickup too much...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another unnecessary part they sell to make money.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I use one on my turbo engine.
Works great to keep the big chunks out of the oil pump if something fails.

grimace007 wrote:
looks like it would work fine for a stock or very mild engine, but other than that i think it would restrict the oil pickup too much...

Not as restrictive as the stock screen, yet better than going bare......... Cool

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reckedher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I use one as well.I used to have a problem with the oil light coming on durring hard cornering so I installed that kit,now no problem.Got mine at sorranos also Very Happy
Good day
Chris181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Another feedback about this parts ?...

http://vwandco.wifeo.com/
Thing '73 IRS conversion
Eurovan VR6 LPG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 2+ year old thread, back from the grave...

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better than new one or not ??

Thing '73 IRS conversion
Eurovan VR6 LPG
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: suction kit Reply with quote

bug-c wrote:
Hi,

I use the suction kit because I have a deep sump that negates the stock "bell cover" that normally fits over the stock filter screen. With a suction pipe extension of about three inches, it is useful to have some sort of screen to prevent metal fragments (in case of parts breakage) or loose sump nuts from being sucked into the oil pump.

I have the Bugpack suction kit and it provides a nice screen filter, while not unduly reducing oil flow IMO. It also comes with a nice flat aluminum oil sump plate that doesn't leak Smile

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these for the aluminum sump plate.

But the holes are oversize by about 0.030" larger in diameter than the holes in the stock sump plate. Actually I cringe at the sloppy fit. I'm not at all impressed by it, which is probably why it's been sitting in a box for the last 3 years. The counterbores look like they were made too fast and I can see the chatter marks. I haven't checked it for flatness yet, but I would probably sand it on a piece of flat granite before i used it to insure that it was flat.

I also question whether the screen has enough open area so as not to cause a restriction, especially when the oil is cold and thick. Compare the open area of a stock oil screen compared to this one.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

A question was also raised in another discussion about how removing the stock screen could affect oil pressure under acceleration and cornering because of the baffling effect that the stock screen is alleged to have. I'm not sure if this is valid or not.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: suction kit Reply with quote

Scott Novak wrote:

I also question whether the screen has enough open area so as not to cause a restriction, especially when the oil is cold and thick. Compare the open area of a stock oil screen compared to this one.

Scott Novak

Oil can only be sucked in to the maximum diameter of the pick-up tube. The suction screen while not umbrella like the stock, does have a larger opening...mine's about 1 1/4" across. Do you think the screen will plug up? Dirty oil could do that perhaps in a poorly maintained engine perhaps, but I've never seen anything on my screen. I use 5W30 synthetic, so cold oil is not an issue...and it gets cold in Canada Wink

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Chris181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all
Scott Novak wrote:
A question was also raised in another discussion about how removing the stock screen could affect oil pressure under acceleration and cornering because of the baffling effect that the stock screen is alleged to have. I'm not sure if this is valid or not.

That's what I'm looking for ...

Thing '73 IRS conversion
Eurovan VR6 LPG
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: suction kit Reply with quote

Scott Novak wrote:

neil68 wrote:
Oil can only be sucked in to the maximum diameter of the pick-up tube. The suction screen while not umbrella like the stock, does have a larger opening...mine's about 1 1/4" across. Do you think the screen will plug up? Dirty oil could do that perhaps in a poorly maintained engine perhaps, but I've never seen anything on my screen. I use 5W30 synthetic, so cold oil is not an issue...and it gets cold in Canada Wink

Screen actually has a lot more resistance than you'd think. Screen has more resistance than a round hole with an equal open area. Also remember that you don't have much pressure differential to force the oil through the screen, so the resistance of a screen on the intake side of the pump can have a significant effect.

I'm in Minnesota and it gets below -30F here. I use Redline 5W30 synthetic. The synthetic lube still gets noticeably thicker when it gets cold.

Scott Novak
junior55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboblue wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

I use one on my turbo engine.
Works great to keep the big chunks out of the oil pump if something fails.

grimace007 wrote:

Not as restrictive as the stock screen, yet better than going bare......... Cool

OK... but I think that it's more restrictive and here is what I will say:

The screen gauge in the aluminum pick-up extension is roughly the same as the stock screens, The stock screen area is roughly 8 times the area of that little disc....

YOU CAN: modify a "stock screen" by cutting out the bottom and still run the mini-sump and extension (without the mini-screen),
for the best of both worlds. (there is a trick involved to close the slots.)

This however is not to be compared to a secondary sump as far as oil
guarantee, but the extra 1/2" lower will aid in the collection of oil somewhat.

I am running the above modified mini-sump because I have a skid plate
and desire the ground clearance, therefore my reason...

As it is designed from the manufacturer, its shitty.
Modified like I said and it's a helper type thing.

By the way, forget about it if you want it to fit on the "newer style"
pick-up tubes... they are angled, crooked, off-center and deformed !
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread was 2 and a half years old, lol

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: suction kit Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
bug-c wrote:
Hi,

I use the suction kit because I have a deep sump that negates the stock "bell cover" that normally fits over the stock filter screen. With a suction pipe extension of about three inches, it is useful to have some sort of screen to prevent metal fragments (in case of parts breakage) or loose sump nuts from being sucked into the oil pump.

I have the Bugpack suction kit and it provides a nice screen filter, while not unduly reducing oil flow IMO. It also comes with a nice flat aluminum oil sump plate that doesn't leak Smile

I'm rebuilding my 1955 and am going to be using a 1 1/2 qt sump this time around. Are you saying that I shouldn't run a stock screen on a deep sump? I ran my motor for 5+ years without a screen....I used to loose oil pressure all the time when taking off hard in first. I always thought it was because of the 32mm oil pump (modified for full flow)...now I read that it could have been because of the lack of a screen.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: suction kit Reply with quote

1955ccbug wrote:
...32mm oil pump (modified for full flow)....

Shocked

There's no need for something that big, even when racing.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: suction kit Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
1955ccbug wrote:
...32mm oil pump (modified for full flow)....

Shocked

There's no need for something that big, even when racing.

I know...its what I had. Any advice on the screen/deep sump?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the dead.

My local VW machine shop is recommending this product to me. They are going to braze an extension to my oil pick up tube for a deep sump and this would be a perfect time to set up this suction kit.

I am on the fence about it. It adds restriction to the inlet side but it also would add some protection to a dropped or broken washer.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 years of answers already in this thread and you can not draw a conclusion for yourself? Sad

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: