Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bikini top Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Semper_Dad wrote:
alex77 wrote:
i´m thinking of buying the bikini top from the thing shop can you guys post a pic of the inside of the bows and the upper windshield where it attaches.

I believe the frame (bows) and header come with the Thing Shop's Bikini top. I believe the front attaches to the windshield exactly like the soft top does. It’s essentially a soft top without the back or upper sides

So there is a header bow for the bikini top that is similar to the soft top frame?

Pic please someone.

thats why I want to see a pic of the parts that come in the thing shop bikini top
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple to think on.... The front "bow" is made of wood, with a steel backer with the pins attached, the latch is also screwed in here..... There are two straps one on each side that go all the way to a tie down in the back, this is to place the rear two metal "bows" in the proper position and to give the top tension.... Now onto the topic of tension.... with the bikini top on and tensioned it pulls back on the windshield pretty good, this is why the thing shop now provides their windshield frame support brackets(which I need to buy), you can see that in my bottom pic with the window installed, which is to answer the question as to whether the windows "work" with the Thing-Shop top or not.... there is about a 1" gap between the top of the window and the edge of the top.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TKE381
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadecloth would work fine for me. I seldom go over 45 mph in my local travels. Thanks for the profile of the aluminum channel. I'll see what I can dig up!
59manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: THING BIKINI TOP Reply with quote

Just trying to clarify. Does anyone know if the $99 bikini top will attach to the stock soft top frame? I see it on the roll bar but not on the soft top frame. if so any pics? Thank you in advance.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes and no, its got a"channel" piece that screws onto the windshield, and then ties onto the back. You can use it with the soft top stowed.

I think you are asking if you can use an old frame to make it work, and I dont think itll give you the result you are looking for. but you could screw it down to an old header bow. I suppose you could get some conduit and bend a few hoops to replicate a frame if you wanted to, if you dont have the rollbar..the dastank top is meant for a roll bar to provide the "frame"
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to a local canvas shop, had them make me one, goes over my roll bar, snaps to widshield. I highly reccomend the thing shop winshiled braces biniki top adds a lot of stress to the windshild
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread one more time -- Thing Shop bikini top specific ...

I asked them the following questions. They would like to speak to me rather than give a written reply. That makes me suspicious which is partially negated by me having spent a considerable sum with them already and with success.

Still, there is the two hour time difference and their hours. Being able to call them at work is difficult at best. By the time I get home with my two-hour commute, they're closed. No way I'm engaging any conversation on public transportation triathlon unable to take written notes. So, here are my questions -- a few semi-answered in this thread (the best I could find via searching) ...

How does the top and frame install?

Are the top and latch sets different than what the standard convertible top uses?

How does the top and latch set get installed onto the bikini top?

How do the windshield support brackets get installed?

Are instructions sent with these purchases?

How long of a wait is typical after placing an order?

Some of the questions are based on their on-site recommendations. I'm not sure anyone but them can answer the last question, but they didn't either.
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Thing Shop Bikini top for about 3 years now, so I'll try to answer some of your questions based on my experience:

The top and frame install the same way as the stock folding top. The bikini top comes with two lightweight "bows" that support the top in the same manner as the original folding top, and they attach to the body in the same manner (the pins and clips that hold the factory top in place). I suggest buying a couple extra clips in case you lose or break one when swapping tops. The bikini top uses two straps that run from the header bow, through both metal intermediate bows, and affix to the rear of the Thing to keep tension on the top. The straps thread through one of the tie-down locations at the rear of the Thing body, and then through a cam buckle that is sewn onto the end of the bikini top. You tension the top by pulling on the strap, just like using a tie-down strap for holding cargo.

At the windshield the bikini top attaches with the same factory latches. (The picture in the posting above from "sixty9fasty" shows the wood & steel header bow, the mounting latches, and one of the tensioning straps.) When I purchased mine, the latches didn't come with the top. I purchased an extra set for the bikini top so I wouldn't have to swap latches between my factory top and the bikini top. The screws that hold the latches in place (on both tops) are small, and I didn't want to risk damaging them by swapping back and forth. The bikini top has a steel header bow with pins that fit into the windshield just like the factory top, and it latches in exactly the same way with the same parts.

The top is attached to the steel and wood header bow, and just sits on top of the intermediate bows. When it is installed it works very well! I haven't taken off the bikini top in a couple of years. It works well at highway speeds as long as you have good tension on the straps. You get a little flapping on occasion, but it is no big deal. My top still looks new, so the quality is great.

I don't recall any instructions, but it has been so long that I really can't remember for sure.

The PO of my Thing installed the windshield brackets, so I can't say how easy or hard they are to install. They don't seem like they would be difficult to install, and they work very well to keep the windshield in the proper position.

My top shipped in just a few days, but that was about 3 years ago. I can't speak for current delivery times.

I LOVE my bikini top. It keeps the hot Texas sun off of my head, and allows plenty of air movement around it to keep me cool while driving. The only downside is that the top isn't easy to drop and store while the bows are still attached. I carry a couple of straps with me so when I drop the bikini top I can wrap a strap (or two) around the top & bows to hold them all together in the stowed position. Since the top is only attached at the header bow, when it is stowed there isn't anything holding the folded top to the other bows or the car (other than the two loose straps that tension the top). It must be wrapped and secured when it is down or it'll want to billow up and act like a parachute or possibly fall off the car.

Last edited by Schwankster on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

I can answer the windshield support bracket question,
They mount under the windshield latch using new mounting hardware. Easy to install and comes instructions. Not that I read them Laughing
I should add that I haven't driven with them installed as I just put them in over the winter. I used to have to move the windshield into place to align and latch the top and it's pretty much right on now.

frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
oasis wrote:

I can answer the windshield support bracket question,
They mount under the windshield latch using new mounting hardware. Easy to install and comes instructions. Not that I read them Laughing
I should add that I haven't driven with them installed as I just put them in over the winter. I used to have to move the windshield into place to align and latch the top and it's pretty much right on now.

Could you measure the angle of the bracket? I'd like to make some of my own.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get installed under the existing windshield latch. Helps to fold the windshield down while installing.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good answers! Thanks!

Now, some quick follow-ups.

I now get the reason the latches are a suggested extra when purchasing a bikini top from TTS -- they are not included. How hard (remember, I'm a technoklutz) is it to install them so they line up correctly?

Although folding the windshield down is suggested when installing the brackets (I presume for easier access), it appears they must be uninstalled should one want to fold the windshield down. (Obviously, the bikini top or the standard convertible top -- whichever is installed at the time -- must be folded down if the windshield is folded down, not that I will be patrolling the public streets with the windshield down and goggles on.) If my assumption is right, how easy are they to uninstall?
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw holes for the latches are already in the bikini top header, so it is just a matter of carefully screwing the latches into the existing holes. The screws are small with fine threads, so take your time and they will go in easily. it is a 5-minute job.

Once the windshield support brackets are installed, they don't need to be removed. They bolt to the dash behind the windshield latches, but that is all. The windshield just rests against them when the windshield is up. When the windshield is folded down, you just have the two support brackets sticking up. It may look a little odd, but you quickly get used to it.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwankster wrote:
The screw holes for the latches are already in the bikini top header...it is a 5-minute job.

the windshield support brackets...bolt to the dash behind the windshield latches, but that is all.

Excellent!

Not sure why TTS wouldn't have said any of this via email, but my two previous orders with them were successful, so I didn't want to discount this offering.

Now I just have to decide if I want to go tan (which would match the windows I won't use with the bikini top), blue and white (to match the genuine Acapulco stuff), or black (which goes with everything and is cheaper). Thanks, all!
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:

Could you measure the angle of the bracket? I'd like to make some of my own.

Just put your side curtains in place and measure the angle of the windshield where it best fits the shape of the side window.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great day today! Dancing TTS sent me an email with a DOC with installation instructions. I hope to read it tomorrow. I'm excited. Very Happy

Then as I was moseying around the classifieds I saw what my Thing would look like if/when I get one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1772577

Mine wouldn't have white walls, but that's eerily close to my future.

Meanwhile, I have put into motion and engine rebuild/enlargement along with a transaxle upgrade. I need to sync everything together so I can enjoy it before I'm dry-docked from driving a clutch for a few months.

(Maybe, I should start a State of oasis's Thing thread.) Wink

Edit: Ha, just noticed the front lid is white, not blue ... oh, well
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TTS catalog DVD that shows the detailed installation of both types of tops as well as instructions on how to fold the convertible top.
Had a minor problem with the locating pins being a skosch wide, that a mallet cured. Brought this up to them and was blown off. Other than that, I like the top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I will have to look again at my DVD. I saw the standard convertible top portion. I did not see anything for the bikini top.

I'm not sure the DOC is that clear. Okay, that means it is not clear. Rolling Eyes What I mean is, I'm not sure if it is not clear because I'm reading it cold, because I'm a technoklutz, or because the DOC itself is not clear. At this point, I'm afraid whatever I ask will produce the same puzzlement. (This won't discourage me from buying when the time comes.)
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today

I also have their top frame boot which packs up nice and small and will keep the bikini top locked down if I lower it
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 73 Thing with a roll bar that sticks up a bit over the windshield.
I'd hate to cut it down or remove it. It has no top at all right now. I am thinking I can use a bikini top for the occasional rain storm, and make it work laying over the roll bar and either snapping on or sliding into the channel on the windshield.

Any thoughts on this for me? Maybe a boat shop to make it or I could possibly find something made.
I have a top frame that came with it. It is a little rough but all there. Two side curtains that need the plastic window redone...badly...
welcome to project land
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: