Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: carb problem Reply with quote

Hi All...got a T1 1500 w/30 pict 1 carb. Was running poorly and I decided to put in a carb kit The actuator pump was plugged so I unplugged it. Now it is running better however when I take my foot off the gas it tends to backfire. I tried to adjust the volume screw but it made no difference to the idle. I thought that was unusual. Where should I start? I would hate to have to purchase another carb kit and dismantle the carb a second time. Any thoughts.....
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check for an exhaust leak…they cause some popping when you let off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...but that does not explain the volume screw not working. I think the carb may still be clogged but I don't want to strip it completely if I don't have to... Thanks!
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for air leaks in your intake manifold at the ends where they go bolted on the heads and also check your thotle arm maybe it has worn bushings and also chech if all your cylinders are working. A non working cylinder can cause the carb mixture no to work at all
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really don't want to take the carb apart (which is easy)...you can do a hillbilly carb clean method.

Take off the air cleaner, rev up the engine to about 3k, stick your hand over the carb throat. The engine will probably die and be a bit hard to start back up, but that sucks most of the crap out of the carb.

I've done this a few times with good results.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. The reason I don't want to take apart the carb is because I just put it back together. I am hoping to avoid purchasing a second carb kit to replace the gaskets. I will check the air intakes a try the hillbillie cleanout. if you guys think of anything else please let me know.
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been working on this problem for so long, I've forgotten: did you ever check for condensation on the manifold?
blackhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unplugged the air intake last year. I suspect the problem is a plugged jet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: