Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone running a Buggy with a narrowed beam and no shocks??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxcraig wrote:
It's set up to drive, not for car shows, I have to deal with Indiana roads. Drives like a Cadillac at 80 MPH, ask John.

That "Cadillac" passed my truck and trailer like I was parked! Smile
1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

The best FORUM for dune buggy information worldwide is.... www.dunebuggyarchives.com
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/forum_show.pl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eastcoastconversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a 5" narrowed beam with no shocks. The full spring pack is in top and bottom with ureathane bushings and I have no problem of it being too stiff. I origionally had a 2" narrowed beam and with the disc brakes, centerlines and 135's the tires were about a inch outside the front fenders. Guess I should have measured everything before I ordered a beam.

I don't think you will have any problems with the narrowed beam and no shocks if it is going to be a street car. Your just getting advice from people who haven't tried it.

Later......
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've driven a buggy or two without shocks for short periods of time and while it can be done, you just won't like the ride or handling that much.

But maybe they're over rated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is 5 years old but I'm seriously considering doing the narrowing beam. I'm not entirely sold on the no shock thing though. And I would like to know if this was just a fad or if people are still doing it. Also if new improvements /development have been made, like after-market companies offering alternate shock mounting options or some other front suspension upgrades that would compliment a narrower beam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: