Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: MDKG's Convertible Reply with quote

Applause Well deserved there MDKG , Your Convertible Looks Awesome.
pancho villa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: MDKG Reply with quote

That sunset pic is one of my favorite in my library of pics, well done sir good job
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which convertible year parts are compatible with early verts? I am especially interested in compatible years for vent wings, side and 1/4 windows. I'm trying to find out which will fit my jan, 61.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56-64
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
56-64

Thank you!
bugio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody !
MDKG car it's very cool Wink when i see the pics of his car i have a sort of deja vu... Very Happy

here's my october 1959, fully restored in mid '90 and still in mint condition

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugio wrote:
Hi everybody !
MDKG car it's very cool Wink when i see the pics of his car i have a sort of deja vu... Very Happy

love your low mounted tail lights! Any pics from the rear?
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugio wrote:
Hi everybody !

Wow, great looking car Cool Very Happy ! Love the semaphores and the euro bumpers. Mine is a December 1959 so some parts must have been in the Karmann factory at the same time Shocked ! Is yours also Jade Green (hard to tell from the pics)? Is it the original color (mine was red originally)? Please show some more pics!
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I happened to run across some old photos a few days ago, and this was right in the middle of the stack. My mother dreamed of owning an early VW convertible since she was a small child, and after her cancer returned and took over her body, my father broke down and bought it for her. She only drove it for about 8 months before she became permanently bed ridden (during the last 7 months of her life), but those were some really happy times for our family. It's still hard to believe my father (painter and bodyman by trade) bought a finished car, especially considering that it really was somewhat of an amateur restoration that needed work (TONS of "loose ends").

He paid $5500 for it in '96 (which was "all the money" for that car back then), and it needed both floor pans, the outer skin on the top (thanks to some loose rivets in the top's linkage breaking), and the "special" limited 1960 only front trans mount. My Dad was only finding $3000 junk (mostly late model cars) during the search and he simply didn't have time to build her a nice car. The clock was ticking.

I remember the car shaking violently when my Mother would drop us off at school in the morning, and I would ask her "Why don't you have Dad fix whatever is wrong with your car?" She'd always respond with "If I tell your father about this problem, he'll take my car away from me, put it in the shop to fix whatever is wrong with it, and end up completely tearing it apart and rebuilding everything to his standards. I'll never get to drive it again." Oh how right she was! Laughing

My Father finally drove the car months later (once Mama was too sick to drive), and he was pissed that she didn't tell him about the car's problem. My Dad felt bad that my Mother drove her car like that for several months, so he and our neighbor took the engine and trans out, fabbed up the correct mount using 2 "off the shelf" mounts to make what they needed, and put the car back together in less than a week (total). Of course the difference was like night and day! Laughing

I don't think about convertibles all that often, but when I do, I always think of that car and how much fun we had in it. My Dad sold it a few years after my Mother passed away since he didn't have the room to store it. He welded the pans in and had an upholster friend fix the top's linkage and install a new outer skin (to replace the current skin that had developed some extensive tears). He sold the 'vert in 1999 for $7300 and it went somewhere "Back East." I had my learner's permit at the time and wanted that car more than anything! I still sorta want it (or one like it) even though I'm more of a ragtop fan now.

bugio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
Wow, great looking car Cool Very Happy ! Love the semaphores and the euro bumpers. Mine is a December 1959 so some parts must have been in the Karmann factory at the same time Shocked ! Is yours also Jade Green (hard to tell from the pics)? Is it the original color (mine was red originally)? Please show some more pics!

Yes it has been repaint in L349 jade green with green top while in origin was L390 gulf blue and black top .

The highness of the rear tail light give me more than a headache...at that time i had no idea of what was the correct position and i just have followed some pictures i have found in some old pics Rolling Eyes

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngnstudly wrote:
So I happened to run across some old photos a few days ago, and this was right in the middle of the stack. My mother dreamed of owning an early VW convertible since she was a small child, and after her cancer returned and took over her body, my father broke down and bought it for her. She only drove it for about 8 months before she became permanently bed ridden (during the last 7 months of her life), but those were some really happy times for our family. It's still hard to believe my father (painter and bodyman by trade) bought a finished car, especially considering that it really was somewhat of an amateur restoration that needed work (TONS of "loose ends").

He paid $5500 for it in '96 (which was "all the money" for that car back then), and it needed both floor pans, the outer skin on the top (thanks to some loose rivets in the top's linkage breaking), and the "special" limited 1960 only front trans mount. My Dad was only finding $3000 junk (mostly late model cars) during the search and he simply didn't have time to build her a nice car. The clock was ticking.

I remember the car shaking violently when my Mother would drop us off at school in the morning, and I would ask her "Why don't you have Dad fix whatever is wrong with your car?" She'd always respond with "If I tell your father about this problem, he'll take my car away from me, put it in the shop to fix whatever is wrong with it, and end up completely tearing it apart and rebuilding everything to his standards. I'll never get to drive it again." Oh how right she was! Laughing

My Father finally drove the car months later (once Mama was too sick to drive), and he was pissed that she didn't tell him about the car's problem. My Dad felt bad that my Mother drove her car like that for several months, so he and our neighbor took the engine and trans out, fabbed up the correct mount using 2 "off the shelf" mounts to make what they needed, and put the car back together in less than a week (total). Of course the difference was like night and day! Laughing

I don't think about convertibles all that often, but when I do, I always think of that car and how much fun we had in it. My Dad sold it a few years after my Mother passed away since he didn't have the room to store it. He welded the pans in and had an upholster friend fix the top's linkage and install a new outer skin (to replace the current skin that had developed some extensive tears). He sold the 'vert in 1999 for $7300 and it went somewhere "Back East." I had my learner's permit at the time and wanted that car more than anything! I still sorta want it (or one like it) even though I'm more of a ragtop fan now.

Wow, that is a really nice story.

It would be awesome if you could somehow track that car down and purchase it for yourself...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugio wrote:
MDKG wrote:

Yes it has been repaint in L349 jade green with green top while in origin was L390 gulf blue and black top .

The highness of the rear tail light give me more than a headache...at that time i had no idea of what was the correct position and i just have followed some pictures i have found in some old pics Rolling Eyes

Nice! Looks really sophisticated with the green top

Is it me or is your rear window larger?

Yours

Mine

What about your engine? Is it still the original 30/36hp?
bugio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the two pics also to me seems different... You have pics of other cars to compare ? I never had any doubts about this particular of my car because everything seemed coeval and unrestored, but now I've put me a doubt Sad Embarassed Confused ... but i've to say that all the research I've done for restoring have been done in the pre Network era and here in Italy vert of this year were and are really hard to find
Anyway tomorrow i will take two measure and will post so eventually we can compare.
Yes the engine is the original 30/36 hp.
bugio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two numbers

25 cm hight

70 cm lenght

Wink
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugio wrote:
Two numbers

25 cm hight

70 cm lenght

Wink

Strange, my window measures 23cm x 69 cm measured from the inner side of the chrome strip (that's what you did also, right? because I cannot tell from the pictures?) Confused Very small difference but still a difference. It does look like my window is installed a bit more tilted so that makes the appearance different but still the size is different also. Anyone who can shed a light on this?
bugio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok ! From the inner side of the chrome strip i've your same distance. I think we have the same rear window. Wink

And yes, probably they are mounted at different highness and they looks different.
oneeyedducky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugios is the later 63 and up back window as per here:
also worth noting, 62 and earlier tops had the top seams narrowed than the body line, 63 on the top seams were even with body lines and flowed o as 1 line. this is due to the window widening.the window grew again in 65
oneeyedducky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugios is the later 63 and up back window as per here:

ELHIPPIE64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneeyedducky wrote:
korfitts wrote:
Does anybody know where it is possible to get the window guide rails for the doors? I've looked through the parts for sale but the is only one who sells a Complete set inc. Windows and frames. I only need the guide rails! Repop?

good luck. they are 57-59 only and not reproduced. either find one on a car being parted or buy a complete window set from someone. try chucks convertible parts in florida- he may have one but be prepared to pay some cash for that

Is this correct for the complete window setup (front and rear regulators,frames,vent winows, etc)??
I had a chance to pick up a 59 vert but let it go since it was missing all window hardware.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 55

Jump to: