Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSA Grave Marker
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: CSA Grave Marker Reply with quote

I have no idea where to look on the Internet and have searched but have not found much information. Today I was at a Family Reunion and yep it was in Arkansas. No comments please. We were at a Lodge that had numerous old items in and around it. I noticed on an outside wall a CSA Grave Marker that appeared to have been recently put there. I have never seen one before but did recognize the Confederate Flag in the center of it with the 3 CSA initials. It appeared to be cast iron and was very rusty but still quite readable. Shouldn't this marker be some where other than on a wall? Obviously it was found/stolen at some point in time. Does any one here think that this marker was misplaced because of it's value? Does this even have a value? Who would I notify about it or should I just forget that it is there. It obviously wasn't where it was intended to be.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you ask too many questions.
forgetaboutit.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all of the old graveyards in my area have some CSA markers in them.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
PSScoots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, there's no legal recourse if it's a stolen grave marker, unless you can prove it's a grave marker, prove who took it, from where, and when it was done. Our bloated, expensive, incompetent, detached government can't keep track of who was buried last week in Arlington National Cemetery -- I can assure you, they have no interest in the Confederate dead.

Also, it is not necessarily a crime to remove grave stones. Family burying grounds that wind up in other people's hands are pretty much at the mercy of the new land owners. The laws that protect graveyards vary from state to state, and tend to be weak.

"Disappearing" grave markers is also not a new thing. I live in East Tennessee and have cemetery surveys done in various decades, and was astonished to see how a graveyard with hundreds of markers can whittle down to a few dozen over the decades. Where do they go? I don't know, but I remember a story of a homeowner that was pulling up an old walkway only to discover that the paving was made up of tombstones, laid with the name-side down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: