Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is This A Scorpion GT?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in Middleboro ! ? ! ? !

We live in Kingston and Carver and North Plymouth and meet up at the Dunkin' Donuts just outside of the Middleboro rotary to motorcade to the huge (2,000 cars) cruise night every other Thursday up in Foxboro. You guys ought to join us . . .

There's going to be a couple of week delay until the next cruise night because of the Pats pre-season games, but if you wanna come with, I'll shoot you a PM when we go next. You would REALLY enjoy that show.

We all have VWs of one sort or another, some show cars, some shit boxes, but we're always working on them and stuff. Two of us are very good with fiberglass if your friend ever needs any help with his car. We have a nearly finished drag Beetle and are good at building and fixing engines as well.

TC
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see all of you in here, and I sincerely hope that we get some good stuff from Hank and the Massachusetts crew. I bought a Pontiac Sinfire rear spoiler for the back of the car today, and I think once I graft it on, it'll look right. It's the right width, and has the same upswept angle as the original body. The 3rd brakelight will sit only 1/4 inch above the body, so it will look like it belongs there. Donor grille is from a 2001 Buick lesabre...I'll do something of my own with the emblem in the center...shields won't cut it for sure. On my manx clones I always did a Wolfsburg horn button with the Cadillac wheat thing underneath...kinda my trademark! This is gonna be a blast....much more challenging than a Manx buggy.

B
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from another member, and he's sending some photos of his Scorpion to post up...Awesome! In the meantime, I've got my Scorpion engine almost done, and the chassis will be next. I'll get some progress shots posted soon.

B
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved these awesome pictures from Mr Santana who is a member here. It's a Scorpion GT alright, and from the looks, he did a super nice job with it. I'll post up the pictures he sent me, and hopefully he'll jump in and post some details for us!

B

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really liked Bradleys due to the rear end treatment. They've always had that "kit" look to 'em. The Scorpion certainly retains the lines, and seems to recover some dignity with the rear. I like the removable Targa section, that's a nice little feature!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its awesome, I hope you finish it and keep us up to date while doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glassin' in the rear engine access area, blending in an s-10 rollpan with recessed lights, adding 67 Corvette wrap around bumpers, WHEEEEEEW! tired already!

B
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a little progress to report anyway! I got the body off, and that's looking like spring work to me at this point. I really hate doing 'glass work inside, so I'll let that simmer for now. The chassis is'nt as bad as I thought, so that will have a place inside this winter, and I'll keep you all updated on the progress there.....my engine is coming together and should run sweet with the ICT setup. I'll finish the motor this weekend and post up some final shots of that next week.

B

Body in it's winter resting place

Chassis ready to come inside for the winter

A couple of shots of the 1641 build

bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Thursday is the last Gillete stadium cruise night for the season,,,,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there ! ! We usually take Bruce's blue '55 VW sunroof ride, but might just take my '08 Mustang if it's too cold. Totally looking forward to those two dollar hotdogs ! ! ! !
63notch&sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Scorpion GT Reply with quote

Uncle Bill,
Could you please provide any extra info about the scorpion gt, my daughter has friend whose project is a '69 model, and i'd like to find a good source for him. Also more pics would be cool.

thanks,

Charles.
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, There's a lot of good info from a guy in Mass at the beginning of this thread. I was hoping he'd follow through with more info, and possibly some NOS parts, but he has not done that as of yet. I started with this thing just as you did, and did'nt even know for sure what I had. The peeps here are very helpful, and I'll be posting up progress on mine as it happens. I did get my engine done, and have the hacked off rear section in the garage so I can fit up the lights, fill in the hole where the engine cover goes, and fab up some rear bumper brackets. Post up some pictures of yours so we can compare notes!

B

nelson_hotwheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: How many are there Reply with quote

Anybody know how many of these were made? I have 1 that was restored a few years ago.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Next Thursday is the last Gillete stadium cruise night for the season . . . "

This coming Thursday they start up again ! ! ! !

WOW ! ! Time really kinda flys by, huh?
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: How many are there Reply with quote

nelson_hotwheels wrote:
Anybody know how many of these were made? I have 1 that was restored a few years ago.

I have no clue, but I don't think they were produced in big numbers only because they seem to be scarce, and there's very little info available. I just made a deal on a pair of them in CT and will have some pics as soon as I get them home. Post up a picture or two of yours, I'm sure we'd all be interested.

B
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont mind me asking what did the engine build cost?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked at this thread for a while, so sorry for the late response. The engine build is mostly "leftovers" from other projects, so it's hard to put an actual cost on it. I swapped a Weber DGEV for the ICT setup, did the heads myself, took the new crank and rods in trade on another set of heads, new pistons and cylinders were something I had forgotten I even had until I went looking for the flywheel and clutch.....you get the idea. I'd guess if you bought all this stuff new, and did the work yourself on your own good case, you blow a grand. Do some trading around if you have some good stuff to get rid of, and you'll save a bundle!

B
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one of these in Traverse City in the same condition as OP's. Same guy who owns that also has a few Avengers as well.
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is what they where trying to attempt when whoever hacked up my bradley and put the kelmark on the front of it.
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short update on the Scorpion GT(s)...I picked up 3 more bodies, 2 of which are pictured here. Trip to CT. netted me these, 3 roofs, 3 windshields, some gullwing doors, a disc brake setup, 2 trannys, a running dual port, a nice 73 chassis, and a decent 63 chassis with dropped floors in it. I think I now have enough stuff to do at least two, maybe 3 Scorpions (if I can find some time). I've been in touch with PDP ( the guy whose father in law made these kits from earlier in this thread), and he assures me that more info from Hank is coming. Now I gotta get my butt in gear! LOL!

B

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: