Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures Pikes Peak Hill Climb race dune buggies and more
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VRPBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavment to the top=race is dead to me.

to me PP was something special because you had to run pavement and dirt. with out the dirt, the F1 type cars will come and rape everything.
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sad the road is paved. But if motorcycles still raced on board tracks and NASCAR was on the beach would it be the same racing ? Time will tell, just hope the paving does not kill the race.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the way it was. The pavement has killed it for me.

Yes NASCAR started out on the beach in the sand. But it is now run in many different locations. It has been moved away from the beach. The option still exists to run it on the beach, the beach hasn't been paved.

Motorcycles started racing on wooden tracks. Now they run in many other places, but have the option to go back to wood, the wood has not been paved.

PP cannot be moved anywhere else. The PP race cannot go back to dirt if so choosen. There is only one PP and now its fate has been determined. To me it is now just another road course, just up hill. It no longer holds a thrill for me. Some sports don't have to evolve to still be fun.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the Green Meanies (Sierra Club) they were forced to pave it.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the late 50's early 60's I have noticed some famous race cars during the early fiberglass age that ran the Volkswagen front suspensions before the Dune Buggies came to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Bocar and Devin race cars. Devin made a frame that ran the rear engined aircooled motors. Bill Devin also made his cars to run large front mounted engines too . Boxcars had a wild Corvette like look that ran traditional front mounted V-8 engines. But the still ran VW tube axle front ends.

Got any pictures of Devin race cars with VW engines that raced ? In 1962 one raced the PPHC with the VW front end with a Corvair engine out back owned by Pete Woods

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the Bocar ad you can make out the front VW axle, looks to be modified.
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Got a couple of pictures from France.

Fred Allen in his 6cyl Porsche powered Newman/Dreager

1978 Pikes Peak

This next one has puzzled me for a few years. Always looked like a Funco but that front nose threw me a curve. Plus the car number was the same one Elden Ediger ran on his Funco for years.

PPHC 1978

Best picture I have seen so far of this car and now I know what it is !
Listed in the Hill Climb guides as a Cloudmaster (?) . The car was driven by John Weidler who got Elden's number after the 1977 race. The car is a modified Funco frame with a Chevy V-8 ! John raced this car in 1977-1980 with different motors each year. All sbc chevys. Best time of 13:37.35. Had to be a handful to drive with all that weight in the back.
Doc Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Where is this Reply with quote

My dad, Doc Sauers, told me yesterday that he sold this to a man in central CA (?Sacramento). When he tried to buy it back from him after hearing rumors the car was going to be stripped for parts, the guy (my dad says he was to furious to remember his name!) wouldn't sell it back to him. I asked him if it was scrapped and he said no, but has no idea what happened to it. I do know we stored several of his old cars in our warehouse for a long time.

colorado_aircooled wrote:
Now this is one of my favorite pictures and cars that have raced on Pikes Peak. This car was owed by Doc Sauers, had a Bob Garretson built type 4 motor. Prepped for the race by the " Kanawyer clan" and driven by both Roger and Rick Mears . Orange colored car, hope to have a better picure in color soon. A Newman/ Dreager built race car , just for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. It had a custom everything. Anyone know were this car is today?

After your run all the cars have to stay on the top of the Hill and wait for everyone else to race. Drivers just kick but and have a good time. Afterwards they line the cars up and parade down the mountian.
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Newman-Dreager race car that took the overall win in 1976 was featured in many magazines.

Hot Vw's twice Nov/Dec 1975 and Oct 1976

Sports Car World July 1975

Christophorus (Porsche mag ) Feb 1977

Volkswagen Greats Dec 1974

The car was ahead of it's time and only raced the Peak a few years. Somebody HAS to know where it is today !

Car was featured in :

Let's find this car !
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Newman Dreager has been brought back to life. Car now runs a SHO Taurus motor. The history on this car is not clear but raced with a Volkswagen motor up into the 90's

May of 2013

Here is the same car in the 90's

Notice the top front cage bar by the drivers head. Newman Dreager frames were designed as a lay down style of seating. The driver in this car was very tall and there just wasn't enough room to lay down and still fit. So they had to raise the bar to clear the drivers helmet in case of a roll over.
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 91st running of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb is here !

The yellow 914 is running a 911 motor. Glad to see a real 914 at the Peak. The blue one doesnt have but a few pounds if that of a 914 (front cowl by wipers) The 67 Targa 554 has the class record in the Vintage under 4.0L at 12:53.367

There are a total of 69 cars running this year and Porsche accounts for nine of them. The pavement has brought many multi million dollar cars. The vintage class and the open wheel cars are on the way out it seems. Very few entries in either class . With the new rule changes the navigators in Rally class are no longer allowed. New records are sure to fall in many classes and with Sebastien Loeb in the Peugeot the overall record should be beat

So far during practice tire selection is a problem. Several of the drivers take short corners and hang the inside wheel into the gravel and it leaves a mess on the asphalt for the drivers running slicks.

Still an exciting race and it will be on RedBull TV live on Sunday. So check out the free stream online !

On the Newman-Dreager front, another car has surfaced. More on that soon. Plus the Gary Potter car has changed hands again and is being bulit to race again in the CHCA .
dtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Air Cooledd, nice meeting you and getting a chance to chat a bit at tech day. So far the runs up the Peak have been pretty exciting and some very fast cars.
Here is a pic of my Newman-Draeger, it's got a long way to go to get it back race ready but the process has begun.

PM me your email I can send you some others and get you my contact info
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a super find. For the folks who don't know this car. It was Cricket Buckley's car that ran a Chevy Cosworth motor on Pikes Peak 1977-1981. Other then the motor being taken out, it is in as raced condition from 1981. Been trying to get pictures of this car for years. Glad it has found a new home! dtech please keep up informed as you get more of the cars history and your progress. Thanks again for saving a Newman-Dreager race car Very Happy
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colorado_aircooled wrote:

So far during practice tire selection is a problem. Several of the drivers take short corners and hang the inside wheel into the gravel and it leaves a mess on the asphalt for the drivers running slicks.

Hey, That sucks about the rocks on the road, How does qualifying work now back when it was dirt fast qualifiers would go last. The road was cleaner but now I guess they go first ?
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeds are way up, Sebastien Loeb in his Puegeot averaged 90mph during practice! That includes many corners you have to come close to stopping, top speeds are over 140mph. Twisted Evil

For those of you who miss the dirt check out this video

(1975 race) "Tame the Tall Mountain"

http://vimeo.com/69281736

Rick Mears, Jay Stewart, Doug Dreager, Bud Whitefield and many more are shown. Even Gary Potter in his first #19 Grizzley and you can spot Mike Griswold's car on his transport ! Lots of fun and thanks to the Pikes Peak Library District for dusting this off and posting it on Line !
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video!

Thanks for posting.

It is a shame the dirt is gone.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New record on the Peak Very Happy Sebastien Loeb in a pure race multi million dollar Puegeot with a time of 8:13. What a driver !

Now the bad news was the weather and another major accident

This was John Baird rookie year at Pikes Peak in a car. Really a nice car and John has ran many times before in the 250 Pro motorcycle class.

Glad he and the fans were OK !

( There are a couple of you tube clips of this online )

Last edited by colorado_aircooled on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jcr. Kat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look how twisted his cage is, better build a stronger cage might not walk away next time
Jcr. Kat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS this the 395 car in the picture above?
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks like it based on what's left of the number plate on the door Sad
colorado_aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad yes same car

Thanks to Robert for the pics. You can google him and see more from PPIHC 2013
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: