Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tampa V-DUB club, Tampa, Fl
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dorsey I'm so sorry. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.

Your bus wasn't an automatic was it? How strong is the motor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - Sorry to hear your story. Good news is that everyone was okay. Any ideas of what caused this? Any indication before it caught fire? Clearly everyones nightmare!!

I have just come back from Autozone with three extinguishers. No screwing around. Hopefully the insurance company does the right thing.

Cheers.
DORSEY BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Good Hands People Reply with quote

Well, to my complete and utter surprise, I actually had comprehensive coverage on my bus! I called my agent to find out what I need to do as far as my policy was concerned and he said, "Well let me pull up your account Mr Dorsey.... Hmmm... I see you have comprehensive...."

A claims adjuster came out, took some photos, fought back the tears as he told me he was a VW enthusiast and goes to a few of the shows around town. He was born in 1978 just like my bus. It was pretty cool that he was my adjuster. I gave him details about the bus and when I told him the 13 year old motor had 35K miles on it, he told me that with classic cars like mine, that actually makes a positive difference in the payoff. I sent them the old receipt and it actually added $210.00 to my valuation!

So here's a bit of advice for anyone that has to deal with the loss of a vehicle - keep your receipts for big things and check NADAguides.com for an accurate retail value of your model. I looked up my 1978 Transporter and there was about a thousand bucks different in value between a Kombi and a Campmobile. Don't forget to tell the adjuster if you had a fold down back seat sleeper sofa, a sink, a stove and so on. It could get you a couple extra bucks for sure.

I'll miss my baby, but I am happy that with my check from Allstate I will be able to afford to buy myself another bus one day, hopefully sooner than later.

Since I'm an artist and songwriter, I had to write a memorial song. I hope you don't mine me posting it here.

http://snd.sc/ZmFDJK

Thanks again for all the nice words. You all know what it's like to love a VW.

Bob

Last edited by DORSEY BUS on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad it almost worked out for you in the end. Sad to see a bus get burned up. I hope you're able to find another. If you want to come to the Lakeland show next weekend and hang out with some bus people and drink some beers, look for us, we're hopefully on the top of the hill on the west end of the parking lot, under the trees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best day for the Lakeland show? seem to remember that Saturday last year was a little light on cars, or maybe we were too early?
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunday is the actual show. saturday is for those camping really.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - All makes sense now. For the past two shows I went on Saturday and really didn't think too much of it. Then I saw someone's photos from the Sunday and it looked rocking!! - Would have thought that I would have figured that out the second time... still third time lucky.

Cheers!
DORSEY BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super excited about the show on Sunday. I'm bringing the wife and kids to start the hunt for my next bus. This is going to be a beautiful weekend to be outdoors. Can't wait!

Bob
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Bob! I won't be taking my bus unfortunately, but look for my friends buses. One is desert camo beige on black wheels and big tires, the other you can't miss. It sits on the ground and is covered in graffiti. I'll be with them.
DORSEY BUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great time at the Lakeland show. It's cool looking at buses with a "buyer's eye". I didn't buy anything, but I have a much better idea of what I want to get eventually. My buddy wanted to get that '66 Kombi from Vintage Fab Werks, but I'm not ready for a project of that scale. I wouldn't mind a trip to Alabama to see what else they have parked in the woods. Stevo had a pretty decent '64 11 Window that sparked my interest. The.dub.lab had some slick looking buses too. I'll keep saving and keep looking.

I got to see my buddy Larry Olsen after missing his event last month and I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Unpopular and his friendly gang. You guys were a hoot. Glad to meet ya Dave.

Bob
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was nice meeting you as well Bob! Good luck with your search, and have fun, cause we all know searching for your next VW is always fun Very Happy
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the show at Pass-a-Grille (Hurricane) is going on this year? I think that it used to be a Classic Camber event, so maybe not.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything about it. A buddy of mine Chris does a show every so often on Indian Rocks Beach but I haven't heard anything on that either.

There is a show on the Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks August 17th. Not sure if you've heard of that one?
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave - I hadn't heard of that. Thanks for the tip. We will be heading out to that show assuming that its in the evening.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Yeah it's 2-9 and it will be like the Hippy Fest last year. When more details are announced I'll post up here.

You really need a facebook account! Our local group has over 250 people in it and it's very active. Facebook is what you make of it, not everybody on there is looking for trouble Wink
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am standing strong on not getting involved with that mess. Laughing I don't need any more reasons to be on my computer than I already have.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I spoke too soon. Just saw this (on facebook I might add Smile )

VW show on St. Pete Beach, Fl (Pass-a-Grille).
email: [email protected] for vendor info
Time: September 1, 2013 from 9am to 4pm
HighTopBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I forgot about this thread..... Hi everybody!
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - Thanks for MCing this thread for us few dinosaurs.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. I'll try to remember to keep it updated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 58

Jump to: