Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Heater Basics
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Gas Heater Basics Reply with quote

Hello! We are the proud owners of a "like new" 79 Westy....... can't quite figure out how I made it to 36 years old without owning one before now!!!

Anyway, for the most part it is in excellent shape, original paint, little to no rust, well maintained.

The two major issues are 1) won't start easily and stay running when cold (I'm having this looked at by a local mechanic as I type), and 2) Gas Heater not working.

I'd like to try a little bit of troubleshooting with the manuals provided on this site and elsewhere, but how do I tell what type of gas heater I have?? From reading previous posts, I believe it is a BA6, but where to begin??

Thanks!!

Geoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 79 and the heater is under the bus between the frame rails it's a BA-6, the place to start is changing all the fuel lines and cleaning all the grounds. Next remove the LH kick panel and check that the relay isn't full of water from a windshield leak.

Hopefully your mechanic knows L-jet diagnosis and doesn't just start throwing parts at it(other than new fuel lines).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
babyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning already...... I had assumed it was in the rear!! thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ns-v-dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba fellow Nova Scotian. Good luck with getting your gas heater to work. that is one of the projects that I hope to tackle in the future. Smile
92 Eurovan 8 passenger - sold
www.vintagevdubbers.ca
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fillmore77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOur truck could have also been retrofitted with a BN4, which were originally installed as an option onolder buses in the engine compartement, on the left side. A duct went through the firewall.

If your truck was originally sold in Canada, it automatically got the gas heater, in which case it would be a BA6, under the bus.

An easy way to tell if the bus was Canadian or American sold, is the location of the electrical hookup on the driver side of the bus.

Canadian buses had the hookup lind up with the small compartment just forward of the upright closet, with a coiled cable ready to be pulled out to wherever you wanted to plug it in.

American buses had the hookup lined up more forward, with nothing but male prongs that you would hook up to an extension cord.

There may also be a sticker on the inside of the left cabinet door, with the entire pedigree the bus came with. If that is there, you will see the gas heater option marked.

1977 Bay Westy, stock 2.0l FI, Hailing from Quebec, Canada.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a BN-4, but I'll bet it's a BA-6 under the bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mrea46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: BN4/BA6 Reply with quote

They also make great shop heaters... Surprised
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cold start issue, check your cold start valve and related connections. One of the connections is kind of hidden under the air plenum on the left side (for a temp sensor, I think).

The cold start valve injects a little fuel into the plenum to assist with cold starts. On my 1979, I had to feather the gas for a while until it warmed up a bit. I found a loose connection and the problem was solved. Now the bus starts right away...Hopefully your fix will be as easy.

BTW...I have the BA6 and it works very well. I did, however, stand back with a fire extinguisher when I tried it the first time. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: