Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

portable propane grills
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: BBQ Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Just picked up a Feugo Element at Home Depot. They had them at a store about a one hour Westy cruise from home. Regular price was $96. Not cheap but seems really great quality. Love the way it stows.

Reviews to follow!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some time in cooking on this at the lake today...I'm really liking this setup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of months, and we use the element grill constantly, even at home. Love it. It has about a 3" round little dish that threads onto the bottom of the grill where the grease goes. Just spin off to empty, wipe it out and spin back on. I keep an old baking dish to set it on, and don't worry much about any overflow. It's pretty clean.

The heavy grate is easy to clean and really nice to cook on. No stick and stuff doesn't fall through.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Holland Companion Reply with quote

Our local Ace Hardware has a super nifty little grill called Holland Companion:
http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/prodID/2/

Can’t say I ever used one but reviews are positive. I was very impressed at the workmanship and quality, but price was a little steep.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: bbq Reply with quote

I have been using a Kuuma grill for the last few years,

http://www.kuumaproducts.com/Grills_Cubed150.html

It's very good quality but had some drawbacks. The regulator is permanently attached and takes up that extra space. Also, you need to be careful not to damage it when packing the grill...the replacements aren't that cheap...ask me how I know. Smile

The other drawback was that if you cooked with the top closed it would flash when you opened it. The instructions were clear to cook with the top open. I found that odd. I also found it a tad warm on one occasion. My eyebrows grew back. Smile

The Fuego regulator rotates and disconnects. I like that. The grease tray is a neat idea and the cast grill a big bonus. The top doesn't hinge and that may be a negative...we shall see.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all the reviews and have a few questions.

For anyone with the Magma Kettle grill....

How does this grill perform with the 1lb bottles? How long does a bottle of fuel typically last? Can it be used on a tabletop or does it require the special stand? When mounted to the side of the van does the heat affect the paint on the van?

I can buy a slightly used one on my local classifieds for $80 and it seems like a good buy.

OR.....

My local Costco has a really nice looking Nexgrill SS portable BBQ for $130. It requires an adaptor to use the small 1lb propane bottles which adds another $35 to the cost. I was considering buying a small 5lb cylinder ($60) or adapting the Westy propane system to run the grill from the passenger side.

Can anyone help me decide or point out the pros and cons of either idea? The 5lb propane cylinder is fairly compact but I'm not sure it's a good idea to drive around with it inside the van, or if it's legal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nexgrill from Costco is a bit weak. The burners simply don't get that hot. It's "ok" if you are not in a hurry to eat. Also the clearance from grill grate to lid is very low and the unit is a bit bulky and heavy.

Btw... Magma also makes really nice small stainless steel portable grills with folding legs. Check amazon. I think it's called "adventurer".

As far as carrying propane inside the van... I'm not a fan. Buy adapters and a quick connect with a length of hose to your under-van tank. Or, put your portable tank(s) up in a rocket box or rack.
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the NexGrill is out. Thank you Jerry.

I still like the Magma grill. It looks like a nice grill. I missed out on the Magma for $80 on my local classifieds but a couple more have popped up for a little more than 1/2 price of new. Too bad the mounting accessories are not included.

My local big box (Canadian Tire) currently has a Napoleon Travel Q on sale for $200 and a CuisinArt portable BBQ that have received some good reviews. Does anyone here use either of these?

I think I'd rather pay extra and get something that will last.[/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored an almost new magma on Craigslist for $50. It has the fishing rod mount which I like better than the other side mount one they offer. It is extremely sturdy with no play anywhere. I like the lid that comes off as you can clip it on any side to block the wind. Check Craigslist. I'd imagine anywhere boating is big you will find these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: