Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

portable propane grills
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am diggin this thread thanks. I asked because when I camp I really like to cook and bbq eloborate meals, not just quick and easy ones. Last weekend I did New York strips with green beans, almonds, garlic, black beans and a fatty salad from a friend's garden. These are foods that need to be cooked carefully, not just flamed on a grill.
I have a few more questions though:
Would the Magma grills store on a roof rack or does the circular shape make it hard to pack? I can't store it under the seat because I have a seven passenger and that area is filled with other stuff.
Would it hook up to a one gallon propane tank, if I had an adaptor? I use a one gallon tank with a Tree that goes to a lantern and my double burner coleman stove.
I'm sure I would be able to make a mount that comes off the bumper or out of the jack points. I have a few vw's and use them all for camping depends on my mood. Thanks for all the info thus far. I'm getting hungry for good grillin when I find the right one.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low and slow.....That's how I roll....

Last edited by PDXWesty on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: grills Reply with quote

I second the NON recommendation for the Coleman grill. I bought one last yr and in just plain sucks. Burns, hard to clean and the lock always unlocks when you pick it up. I have it for sale on Kijiji if anyone is interested.hehe

I bought a Kuuma marine type SS Q. Costly? Yep. Work well? Very. One tip with these small grills though...mine is low profile therefore low volume inside. It flashed on me during warm-up. I had far too much hair on that arm anyhow. I was about to email them when I got home and decided to read the instructions.

WARNING- COOK WITH LID OPEN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

B.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Here you go:

Who's got this van. I wana talk to you about how you built your rear rack.

Thks
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
Would the Magma grills store on a roof rack or does the circular shape make it hard to pack?

I use to transport my Magma on the roof. For ease of packing it up there, I built a small plywood box with a hinged lid and handles that was just big enough for the grill. This way it stayed out of sight and easy to fasten down.

TopBud wrote:
Would it hook up to a one gallon propane tank, if I had an adaptor?

Easily. Just buy a hose and screw it into the regulator/knob used by the disposable propane bottles. Their manual says not to hook up to none regulated propane source. So you may want to check if the regulator control knob is sufficient. I believe it is.

Click to view image

Last edited by Rhinoculips on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I'm not surprised to see all these marine, aft rail, BBQ's. Good idea re external mounts too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Who's got this van. I wana talk to you about how you built your rear rack.

Thks

It's my van.

Here is my build thread for the rack.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406726&highlight=swingout

Still tweaking the propane mount. It interfered with the door so I had to "unweld" it.
Working on the tail lights now.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: grills Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I second the NON recommendation for the Coleman grill. I bought one last yr and in just plain sucks. Burns, hard to clean and the lock always unlocks when you pick it up.

B.

B and PDXWesty, thanks for the "nay" vote on the Coleman. I just edited my post to show that they may well suck.

I think Dragonfly van folks use then because all their rental vans are Weekenders, and the Coleman gives users an option to cook or grill simple things outside.

PDXwesty, please invite me on your next campout, that trailer makes me drool.

xo,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noganav T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested if anybody has found a really nice micro charcoal / wood, cast iron, bbq. I prefer to cook on charcoal and wood even though propane is super convenient. Lodge makes some small units that are pretty nice but I am looking for an ultra small unit for the vw. Thanks, Doug
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a really cheap little gas grill at walmart. actually, it works pretty well. not a thing of beauty, but we've grilled a lot of food that came out good. the controls are pretty accurate and although light weight, it's served us well for 2 summers camping with it.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: grills Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
...NON recommendation for the Coleman grill...Burns, hard to clean and the lock always unlocks when you pick it up...

Yeah, the coleman is NOT a slow roaster or smoker...burning is always possible: you have to stay there and watch what you're cooking! It was in my price range so I use it for what works and it has worked for 4 years with many to go. I've had no problems with the latch and the built-in carry handle (recessed in the bottom) is perfect and very handy. I just cleaned mine today and though the interior doesn't come clean like a SS unit, the porcelain coated grate cleans like a dream. For the price it gets me out camping.

If/when I finally have my van mechanicals locked in and I have a spare $200-$300, you can bet I'll be looking at a Magma for a good backwoods version of my Canadian babybacks...until then, I'll just have to keep makin' 'em at home...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noganav T3 wrote:
I would be interested if anybody has found a really nice ... charcoal / wood, cast iron bbq...

Did you see Vancate's post re: Son Of Hibachi...looks like what you're after...
VANACATE wrote:
Its not a gas grill, and a little old school, but after much thought I settled on this little guy a while back as I really like the functional design: http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a newer style Coleman. It's about the same size as the older rectangular one, but 1/3 of it is a single burner and the other 2/3 is interchangeable grill/griddle. I really like it. My only knock is the flame adjustments is touchy.
Noganav T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Noganav T3 wrote:
I would be interested if anybody has found a really nice ... charcoal / wood, cast iron bbq...

VANACATE wrote:
Its not a gas grill, and a little old school, but after much thought I settled on this little guy a while back as I really like the functional design: http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/

Thanks, I did take a look at that, still too big and no need to "snuff" pack anything. just a simple high quality beach grill
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive cooked some pretty nice meals on the cheeepo BBQ' that Safeway sells for about $5.00.

Its sorta like a kit..comes with a metal container filled with BBQ coals..a grill rack and three metal legs. Its decent dinner plate size and when your done cooking, the legs slip off the base and can be stored inside the metal container.
VANACATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noganav T3 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
Noganav T3 wrote:

VANACATE wrote:

Thanks, I did take a look at that, still too big and no need to "snuff" pack anything. just a simple high quality beach grill

FWIW: The bag for the grill is about 20" tall by 9" wide by 5" thick. I have actually stuck the grill hot in the bag after stopping to grill lamb burgers for lunch etc. and it does snuff out the remaining coals. But I mostly like the bag as you can pack it in the van with other things and not worry about filth - you can even head for a pretty spot with it loaded and ready with coal; tongs, grill scraper; fire starter etc. The grills are also cast iron and get red hot with process of getting the coals ready with the grill body folded to create a chimney. It does take some experience to learn how to cook with it... but that has been part of the fun. Smile
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I would be interested if anybody has found a really nice micro charcoal / wood, cast iron, bbq.

The webber Q comes in charcoal and is probably the best cast aluminum BBQ, with ceramic coated cast iron grates, you will find.. but its not that small...

a basic charcoal hibachi can be small, but its just a grill, not a BBQ with a lid for slow cooking..

here is a clay hibachi..
http://www.amazon.com/Conro-L-895-Earthenware-Portable-Hibachi/dp/B001111BFK

the $5 pan grille is just as effective
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture at the bottom right is the exact BBQ I was refering to in my earlier post. When I used that BBQ I found that a Wok top was helpful in slowing down the cooking time....thanks Jon for posting it, that even looks like the chicken I cooked on it. Laughing
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I picked up a Weber Q200 BBQ used for $100. It came with a rolly bag that fits in the Westy luggage rack.

I added a tee to the Westy propane tank and a 1"-20 fitting (with schrader valve) so I can tap in whenever I want. I bought the fitting at Tractor Supply.

I'll let you know how it works out when I use it next weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: