Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration of 54 sunroof bug
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Restoration of 54 sunroof bug Reply with quote

Hello, here are some pictures of my brother's 54 sunroof that I am helping restore. He's had the car for 15 years. 10 years ago the car was painted and has been in the garage sitting. This past month, he decided it was time to finally put it together. The car is an original sunroof and is painted L 276 ultra maroon, the color that it came in. The past few years I have restored the euro headlights, semaphores, trip speedo, steering wheel, int mirror and have painted all the int components for him. The car is going to be stock except for lowering, installing 3" narrowed beam and Al Reed restored 4.5's and early sixes. Here are some pics of progress so far. Will post more as progress continues. Hope you enjoy and thanks, Ruben
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look's like an awsome car love the color!! 10 15 years go by sometimes when life happen's! Im kinda in the same boat with a 55 vert been colecting part's and accessories and workin on the car almost that long!. So you guy's arent alone Wink Im doin the same 4.5's deep sixes and a 4.5 oldspeed beam! you just cant go wrong with that look! Wink. Are you guy's using the stk 36 hp ?? I see the 54 55 gen pully in one of your pics so Im thinkin you are ! Anyway Ill be following this thread look's like its gonna be a good one!! Cool
fatvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!!!!!!! Looks great.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EMPIFLAKE and fatvolks. Going to go stock 36 hp. I located a 54 case and George at The Butcher Shop is going to build it. Have most all correct 54-55 eng parts for it. My brother is thinking of installing WW Okrasa kit? Stock trans already done, going to do the brakes and front beam next. Thanks, Ruben
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
Thanks EMPIFLAKE and fatvolks. Going to go stock 36 hp. I located a 54 case and George at The Butcher Shop is going to build it. Have most all correct 54-55 eng parts for it. My brother is thinking of installing WW Okrasa kit? Stock trans already done, going to do the brakes and front beam next. Thanks, Ruben

Cool Im doing the WW kit also are you gonna run the 4 tip abarth and cooler line kit??
my65rhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to more progress pics. It will look great on Fuchs for sure. The body color is sweet...Kyle
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progess today, redid the rear brakes and dug out chassis form all kinds of stuff sitting on top of it. There is still some stuff on top but not as bad as before. Chassis was powdercoated and trans rebuilt six years ago. Next up is ordering 4" inch narrowed beam with adjusters and cleaning up chassis, also drilling hole in dash for dehne fuel gauge and assembling dash. Thanks, Ruben

belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on 54 today. Assembled most of the dash including drilling a hole for the dehne fuel gauge. I cleaned up wiper motor, assembled the vent wing assy's, and mocked up the steering wheel onto dash, to see how it would look. My brother found his keys to the ignition swith and I keyed the door handle and decklid handle to match. One key fits all. That's all for the 54 as I am going to be working on my dad's 55 Chevy Belair and a friends 57 oval convertible. the next few days. Thanks, Ruben

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHHHH....you're killing me with these pics!! I want to get moving on my 55' Ultramaroon! This car is BEA-You ti ful.... Just a heads up....these pics are getting saved into my OVAL file!!! Definately something for me to shoot for! Great work!!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Scott for you compliment. Car has come a long way since my brother bought 15 years ago. I wish he had taken pictures of it when he got it. Car was in very sad shape but hopefully it will be a nice car when finished. Thanks, Ruben
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
Worked on 54 today. Assembled most of the dash including drilling a hole for the dehne fuel gauge.

The car is kick ass!! Im just letting you know your gas gauge is not a dehne! Its either a moto meter or a motest!
my03yellowv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the car looks great my Late 55 is the same color from the factory Ultramaroon. What are your plans for the interior? Biege? Red? mine was red wierd combo. My wife always says the color is purple and we argue about it but I love it.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empiflake, don't know why I was thinking it was a dehne gauge. Shocked . It is a moto meter one. It was originally installed on the car but when car was at body shop, the body guy welded up the whole in dash. I had to cut one again to install it. Guess when you are working on 3 different cars, your mind plays tricks with you.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my03yellowv wrote:
Wow the car looks great my Late 55 is the same color from the factory Ultramaroon. What are your plans for the interior? Biege? Red? mine was red wierd combo. My wife always says the color is purple and we argue about it but I love it.

My brother is going with tan leatherette for seats and door panels as that was what was on the original seats in car. Carpet will be tan german squareweave, beige cloth headliner and tan stayfast canvas sunroof cover. Thanks, Ruben
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
Empiflake, don't know why I was thinking it was a dehne gauge. Shocked . It is a moto meter one. It was originally installed on the car but when car was at body shop, the body guy welded up the whole in dash. I had to cut one again to install it. Guess when you are working on 3 different cars, your mind plays tricks with you.
That's cool I was just letting you know Wink ! Im workin on a 55 vert and Im gonna do the ww kit also are you gonna run the cooler kit?
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't worked on bug in a few days. Went to pick up some pieces from powdercoater. My brother found the original glove box door. with orig paint. When car was being done, body guy lost door and another one was painted for bug. two months later, the guy finds it and gives it back to my brother. A few days ago, he was cleaning out closet and found it. Ran harness thru today but camera battery went dead. Will post pics later. Thanks, Ruben

belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much done today but got some parts in. Glove box liner, thanks Paul. Decklid spring, thanks Jeff. Hood latch and pin, pr of carpet rings, pr of coat hooks, wiper bases. Also got headlight switch today, so will be working on hooking up electrics.

Sunroof53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great looking car !that shell looks perfect and a sunroof model to.Ultra maroon will contrast well with the detailed fuchs but i'm not a fan of massively narrowed beams on ovals.
Look forward to the seeing more, especially the interior.

Mike
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for compliment Sunroof 53. I myself like stock tires and rims. It is my brother's car and he likes the alloy's . He has decided to go with the cloth interior instead of the vinyl. Going to get material from Ingrid Opperman in Germany and Dave Lumetta in Tujunga Ca is going to do interior.
Thanks,

Ruben
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was at my dad's helping him clean his backyard of parts and trash. While moving some stuff around, I found this case that I had left there 15 years ago. It's an Apr. 54 case. If it's good, will be rebuilt and installed in my brother's 54. It won't be technically correct, as his car was built in Sept 54. It's as close as I think we will get for correctness. Also was cleaning out garage, and I found these sill plates, steering box and an nos 54-55 crank pulley buried under some boxes. Going to try and finish wiring up his car this week but have to get some steering wheels finished first.
Thank you.

Ruben

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: