Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration of 54 sunroof bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the positive comments. I see some really nice cars being built here on the samba, that it gives me more motivation to finish this car. I don't know if it will be done for the treffen in Sept. but we will try our best. I personally love ultra maroon, I think its one of the best metallic colors volkswagen made. Smile
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, no progress has been made since the last post on car as I have been busy with other projects and my brother has been saving up money to complete car. On a positive note, I bought an early 55 eng case from my friend this past week. He delivered it my inlaws and I hope to pick it up as soon as I can. Thanks John "spookymulder" for hooking this up. Very Happy I now have all the parts to build a correct 55 36 hp motor.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I'm glad you finally found a good case! There was a May/June 55' case at the Seattle Vintage Meet....looked really clean, but the $275 price tag, and a few months to late for my car scared me off. Think I'll just build up one of the 58' or 59' cases I found until something else comes along.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, it's been quite a while since I have posted any progress on my brother's 54 ragtop. It's been hard saving for the motor and interior but will be getting ready to start on the motor. I have located all the correct parts for the build and will post progress on it. I will also start to rebuild the sunroof mechanism. Maybe this year car will finally get finished and enjoyed. Smile
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over a year since I have posted any progress on the 54. It's finally time to move forward. I finally located all the remaining hardware to bolt down chassis and its being plated right now. My brother ordered a set of seat covers and door panels from Lenny. I have someone lined up to do the headliner,sunroof cover and carpet but he will not install the seat covers. Will have to find someone else to do that. That's all for now, will post pics soon
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truly in love with this beautifull ragtop! i love the nice details in this car
keep up the good work!!! Cool

best regards
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the nice compliment. We are trying to put together a nice car. Another update, We got back the hardware to bolt chassis to body. It was done in black zinc. Also got back some aluminum pieces that needed to get polished. Not pictured are the long rails as they were wrapped in paper. I also had a pr of orig running board moulding strips and had those polished. Debating whether to restore the orig running boards or buy some new ones from WW. The boards have some small pin holes. My brother ordered cloth seat covers and door panels from West Coast Classic. They said they will be ready in 3 weeks. More updates coming.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, starting to get back to 54 at a snails pace. I found a 54 engine this past weekend. I went up to northern Ca to visit some friends. I had no phone and internet service was intermitent. Friday night I was able to get onto computer and saw a 54 engine for sale on the samba. Location was Morgan Hill, which would be on the way home. I called and left a message that night . It was almost 10:30 when gentleman called but that was ok because I was still awake waiting for him to call me. Made arrangements to stop by on Sat morning and bought it. It's a sept 54 eng, which is great, as my brother's car was built Oct 54 per birth certificate. Its missing the carb, dist. and air cleaner but everything else is their and orig. It's very lucky we took our chevy truck versus our honda civic. I had wanted to take the honda to save on fuel, however my wife overpacked for our trip with a 9 month old baby. I have to thank my girls for that one because I would not have been able to bring back the motor in the honda.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little progress done on my brother's 54. After several months, got an interior kit from Lenny in the 54-55 cloth. Also took tin off eng to send to powder coat in a semi gloss black and will be taking it to my friend who will rebuild it. My brother is thinking of possibly installing the WW okrasa kit for some extra power. Finally, got a 54 front beam from my friend to replace the bent one on car. Going to blast it and shoot it in gloss urethane and transfer all the good parts from bent beam.

srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely Ruben Very Happy . Keep posting up the progress, we can't get enough Drool

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, it's been almost a year since I posted anything on 54 bug. My brother has finally made the commitment to finish this car and take to vw classic next June. I might have helped his decision as I will be moving and will not be able to help him once I am gone. Back to car, I got a 54 front end from my friend and had it blasted and also rebuilt the spindles. I will spray it in black urethane and get it installed on pan and bolt body down. Eng case was sent to Rimco and is ready to get assembled once all needed parts are ordered. I found a pr of correct NOS headlight bezels and Hella fluted lenses for 54-55 beetle, so now car will have the correct headlights on it. The bezels and lenses on there right now are from a 56. More to come.

PASHN8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, well done Smile

Can I ask where you sourced the orange air filter decal/sticker for your car?

1957 11-Window Split Bus
1954 3-fold Sunroof Oval Beetle

*** Looking for '56 Porsche T1 356A 1300 engine no. 22373 ***
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up powder coated sheet metal today. I laid out all the parts I have for motor. Need to send dist to Ed Fall for redo and will have pretty much everything done. Heater boxes, muffler and intake manifold are getting ceramic coated, will have soon. Eng case was checked out by Rimco and is ready to get the Dow 7 treatment. Ordering up all parts for reassembly of motor. Getting closer to finishing.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you clean the inside of the generator strap. There should be a couple/few dimples. The dimples need to be bare metal to ground the generator to the engine case.

Lesson I learned recently while putting my 54 together...all parts powdercoated like yours.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceramic coated muffler and heater boxes, still need to get intake manifold finished.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder coated parts are looking sweet Ruben! What color powder did you use for the sheet metal parts? Looks like a semi-gloss in the pics. It's been a long road on your brother's car, I can't wait to see the finished product!!!
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Make sure you clean the inside of the generator strap. There should be a couple/few dimples. The dimples need to be bare metal to ground the generator to the engine case.

Lesson I learned recently while putting my 54 together...all parts powdercoated like yours.

Thank you, a couple of other people pointed that out to me. This is the first time I have powder coated a gen strap, other times I have painted it. Good information.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Powder coated parts are looking sweet Ruben! What color powder did you use for the sheet metal parts? Looks like a semi-gloss in the pics. It's been a long road on your brother's car, I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Scott, eng tin was done in black semi gloss, however it is not shinny enough as the orig tin was 70-85% gloss and all powder coaters I went to could not get a semi gloss like that. For the 52 split I am restoring, I am going to spray the eng tin in a single stage urethane with a flattening agent to get desired gloss. Its been a long road to get this car finished but its getting closer and hope fully spring of next year it will be finished.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Is there a discrete way to ground a generator case with a good gauge wire for a daily driver?
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
Picked up powder coated sheet metal today. I laid out all the parts I have for motor. Need to send dist to Ed Fall for redo and will have pretty much everything done. Heater boxes, muffler and intake manifold are getting ceramic coated, will have soon. Eng case was checked out by Rimco and is ready to get the Dow 7 treatment. Ordering up all parts for reassembly of motor. Getting closer to finishing.

Sent out distributor to Ed Fall to get redone and motor was sent to motor builder yesterday. He is a well know person in the San Gabriel Valley and will build a show quality motor. I found some correct 54 Hella Euro headlights for the car, as the one's that are on there are from a 56 and they will be going to my friends european 56 very soon. Will be posting more updates and pics as work gets done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: