Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Optima Battery
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadheadSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

I think your criticism is unwarranted. I bet Jim simply doesn't know the exact answer of how to make one of their current batteries fit a car that hasn't been sold here for the last THREE DECADES!

Perhaps - I should give him benefit of the doubt. My apologies to Jim, but the corp-speak wording of his reply set me off. It's something I'm getting sick of hearing everywhere I go. It's usually an indicator of what kind of corp-speak replies I'll get if I have a problem with the product or need warranty service, so I see it as a reason to avoid the hassles.

For now, I'll just stick with Interstate batteries - reliable, readily available, check it now and then and make sure it's not leaking, good enough.

I also wasn't aware how rare a Group 42 battery is these days.

'69 Standard Type 1 - stock, mint.
OptimaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if I came off sounding too much like a corporate non-reply, as that certainly wasn't my intent. Unfortunately, some fitments involve vehicles that came from the factory with batteries located in unvented areas, including many VWs. I don't know the exact reasons why, but I'm sure millions of dollars worth of personal injury lawsuits and/or associated lawyers fees have resulted in me not being able to give specific advice on many custom applications. This is especially due to the fact that all I have to go on is limited information someone posted on a message board about a vehicle that, as Bruce pointed out, hasn't been sold here in 30 years and I can't see it in person.

By the way, if you think Snort's advice about warranty service is sound, make sure you contact him for assistance, if it turns out to be the case. It's not that we don't offer warranty service for batteries used in custom fitments, because we do. However, when someone's idea of a custom fitment is cutting off the top posts to make a battery fit in a particular space (which people have done), then they won't get coverage, regardless of whether or not they registered their battery.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OptimaJim wrote:
I apologize if I came off sounding too much like a corporate non-reply, as that certainly wasn't my intent. Unfortunately, some fitments involve vehicles that came from the factory with batteries located in unvented areas, including many VWs. I don't know the exact reasons why, but I'm sure millions of dollars worth of personal injury lawsuits and/or associated lawyers fees have resulted in me not being able to give specific advice on many custom applications. This is especially due to the fact that all I have to go on is limited information someone posted on a message board about a vehicle that, as Bruce pointed out, hasn't been sold here in 30 years and I can't see it in person.

By the way, if you think Snort's advice about warranty service is sound, make sure you contact him for assistance, if it turns out to be the case. It's not that we don't offer warranty service for batteries used in custom fitments, because we do. However, when someone's idea of a custom fitment is cutting off the top posts to make a battery fit in a particular space (which people have done), then they won't get coverage, regardless of whether or not they registered their battery.

Jim McIlvaine

For the love of Pete, why can't anyone just tell us which Optima battery fits best in our cars?
I have a '70 Standard Beetle with a regular rear seat.
Group 42 is the standard type of battery that fits my vehicle.
From my research here, an Optima 35 or 34R would be the best choice as long as I keep the steel seat springs from contacting the terminal.
All I need to know is if my information is correct ?
A simple "yes" or "no" would suffice......! Very Happy

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
OptimaJim wrote:

Jim McIlvaine

For the love of Pete, why can't anyone just tell us which Optima battery fits best in our cars?

Link

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:

Most of us don't need a new battery, so we're too lazy to take a tape measure to our cars to find out for you.

http://www.interstatedealers.com/ibcatalog/common/automotive_spec.pdf

^they list dimensions of common automotive battery sizes so you can do the legwork.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Optima Battery Reply with quote

3478DT fits well in my 73 but I do not have a backset in it yet. It appears that the top of the terminals are the same height as the seat bracket.

If you want to see if one fits take your car to the auto parts place and, without buying it, ask them if they will let you place it there to check the fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Optima Battery Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

If you want to see if one fits (snip), without buying it, ask them if they will let you place it there to check the fit.

I wonder how that would work out with chics. Think

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just asked the Optima battery guy in my city if the the 35 would fit under the rear seat of a 67 Beetle. The answer was no. All 12v Optima batteries are too tall to fit under the rear seat.
He did suggest an alternative battery that looks promising.
A FullRiver AGM battery model 47. It has the same dimensions as a group 42 battery. The only difference is there flanges at the ends of the battery as well as the front and back flanges. This battery can be mounted in any orientation that you wish.
He stated that the latest car Stereo guys have great success using this battery. It's worth a shot.
http://www.fullriverbattery.com/product/batteries/FT610-47
Good Luck.

Raceace24 wrote:
OptimaJim wrote:

Jim McIlvaine

From my research here, an Optima 35 or 34R would be the best choice as long as I keep the steel seat springs from contacting the terminal.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
OptimaJim wrote:

Jim McIlvaine

I dont remember - just got whatever one was supposed to fit. Have them in 3 of our cars. Just checked an old post have 75/25 in at least one car and someone else posted they use a 78.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Optima Battery Reply with quote

Between the odyssey and the Optima, I see only one benefit over the other. the Optima has everyone asking "does it fit, will it fit? how did you make it fit"

So the optima battery does not come in the correct size, but the odyssey does come in the correct size!

sounds like if you want an easy drop in solution that of great quality go with the odyssey battery, otherwise you will be dealing with issues with the battery hitting or shorting or whatever issues you run into. Fullriver batteries i didn't see any group 42 size translations so i am assuming they do not make a group 42.

the odyssey PC1200MJ is what the company recommended when i called them.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Optima Battery Reply with quote

Just measure the height you have in your battery area. Measure the battery, Ensure the cranking amps/etc match and go with it.

I was on the road and needed a quick battery. I went to Walmart and bought their $50 special. Worked fine for the 4 hour tow home and continues to work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: