Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1949 Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 49 is so well done....the color is "delicious ",the whole project is a huge tease! I really liked the shots taken in paint booth in primer.excuse my naivety on early models, but what is the knob to the front and rt of the shifter? I have never noticed it before, my guess would be choke? Embarassed
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ian macdowall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, really nice work! Cool
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you for keeping this history alive. You are doing an amazing job.

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
The 49 is so well done....the color is "delicious ",the whole project is a huge tease! I really liked the shots taken in paint booth in primer.excuse my naivety on early models, but what is the knob to the front and rt of the shifter? I have never noticed it before, my guess would be choke? Embarassed
Thomas

Indeed it is the choke!

Thank you for your kind remarks Smile I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlekey wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow, look at this carpet Wink
The heaterchannelcarpet goes over he frontcarpet.
Marcus

It is wonderful carpet indeed Marcus. Your quality and craftsmanship are second to none! I hope my install will do it justice.

I was wondering about the front wheel well carpet (with the heater rings) which is why I have not yet installed it. I did leave the forward edges of the door opening carpet and the front firewall carpet loose so I can tuck the front wheel well carpet in front or behind.

Can you post a picture of how it should look? I'm also trying to sort out where the front wheel well carpet should be located (front to back and top to bottom).

Like this?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun.

Got the tubes and tires mounted and balanced. Hubby went through the front end and adjusted front bearings, steering gear, camber, caster, and toe (sure helps to have my own professional alignment tech!).

Still need to recheck torque on the shock bolts and nuts now that most of the front end weight is on them. Also have to go through and make sure all the locking tabs are folded over the bolt heads.

Not much to take pictures of but here are a couple of my favorites that keep me moving.

Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
More fun.

...Not much to take pictures of but here are a couple of my favorites that keep me moving.

"a couple of...favorites that keep me moving. "
Looking good Nancy, it is easy to see why - I'd be equally motivated!
It won't be long now...'til you hit the road!
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Isbrand52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful car Nancy. Worth the time and effort. Make sure you remove the paint on the wheels where the wheel bolts seat and hold the wheel to the drum. Initially recheck wheel tightness often. I didn't and my wheel pasted me as I was driving down the road. Can't wait to see it finished.
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks wonderful, & I love that we have a '49, '50, and '52 all nearing completion at about the same time.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isbrand52 wrote:
Beautiful car Nancy. Worth the time and effort. Make sure you remove the paint on the wheels where the wheel bolts seat and hold the wheel to the drum. Initially recheck wheel tightness often. I didn't and my wheel pasted me as I was driving down the road. Can't wait to see it finished.

Ohh no good. Sorry to hear you had that happen. I will for sure give them a check early and often. Thanks.

mdvanderploeg wrote:
Looks wonderful, & I love that we have a '49, '50, and '52 all nearing completion at about the same time.

That is pretty cool isn't it! Yours is coming along nicely too! Congrats on the progress.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same happened to me! I lost the right back wheel during driving (70 km/h) and it overttok me. I could see it getting in the opposing traffic and clashing into a car. The seats of the nuts where also still painted. During braking, the paint was getting warm and weak, so the nuts were loosing thightness.

A second reason for checking the nuts often (at least at the first half year driving) and correct (using a torque wrench) is that the brake drums are a little bit sensitive. As the nuts are getting a different tightness during driving and breaking (caused by the drums getting warm) in the first time, the drums are getting a little bended and so you will feel a pulsation in the brake pedal.
Always if you feel it, you now its time to reset the wheel nuts on correct tightness.

Aside from this, it is a real pleasure too see your progress, qualitiy and results of your work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedbuggyseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy, 49 is looking absolutely awesome! Not too far from complete now? You must be so excited after all these years of gathering beautiful parts together and being able to finally fit them back where they rightfully belong. Look forward to seeing it done! Seb
1959 NSU Quickly Motorcycle
1964 SWB MK1 GP Beach Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious about the colour of your wheels! As it is about a '49, they should be solid coloured...
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
I'm very curious about the colour of your wheels! As it is about a '49, they should be solid coloured...

They are solid color and the same color as the seat frames, shifter, e-brake, etc.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I've had a few questions. Here's a comparison:

Very Happy

Any way that you could post the dimensions for this crank start hole? Thank you in advance!!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GüteAndTite wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
I've had a few questions. Here's a comparison:

Very Happy

Any way that you could post the dimensions for this crank start hole? Thank you in advance!!!
its 6 hearsheys squares up from the bottom
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Nico1981 wrote:

They are solid color and the same color as the seat frames, shifter, e-brake, etc.

Wonderful! I like you going absolutly into detail! I have to do the same for my dec '50, the rims also get a more lighter colour than the bodycolour is (L11 pastelgreen to L16 hellgrün). Your car will get out very nice, thank you so much for keeping us posted!!! Your enjoyment is ours, too!!!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent time this weekend assembling more stuff. One important item was the straight window channel the window glass slides up as the window is rolled up. For some reason, the left side was almost completely rusted away but the right side was much better.

Several years ago I had bought a pair of the curved portion for a 51 and had planned to modify them to work in my 49, but was unable to find the straight pieces.

Mika Virtinen came to the rescue again and hand made a pair of straight ones for me. They arrived on Friday and I had one installed by Sunday evening.

I also bought a pair of Mika's running boards some time ago and got those painted, assembled and mounted to the car Sunday.

I needed a shot of the car for the program of an upcoming show so we tossed on a few pieces of old trim and rolled it outside and took a couple of quick pictures in the rain.

I forgot to put the wipers and mirror on, but it's still a work in progress.

borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been spending more time in the split forum because of your thread.

this is one SWEET RIDE Surprised
thanks for sharing!
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realy nice work! awesome split!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: