Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Differnt types of interior mirror for the Zwitter conv.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zwittercab53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Differnt types of interior mirror for the Zwitter conv. Reply with quote

Hi I'm kind of new here, hope to fit in with all you VW folks

I'm trying to figure out the correct interior mirror for a Zwitter convertible.
I believe two differnet types were used throughout the zwitter production. This is what I found and would highly apriciate input that might confirm this or any elaborated info that might be useful.

By 1/10 a carry over interior mirror from the pre zwitter cab was used. A single sunvisor and a rectangular mirror. part # 15 861 023

Somtime end of 1952 or the beginning of 1953 this was changed into a similar assembly but now with a oval mirror. Part # 15 861 023a.

Mayby by the productionstart of the true 1953 model the mirror assembly was changed agian now to the dubble sunvisor assembly and the oval mirror. Part # 15 861 023b

I have been trying to confirm this by looking att various cars of this period that I belive are in their original condition

Last edited by Zwittercab53 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
Zwittercab53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you. So do you know when this car was produced. I would guess Jan/Feb 1953. Given that it has the oval mirror.

Extremly nice looking car......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56OvalRHD wrote:

that mirror MAY be right, but that style with no ball socket on the mirror should have an ivory adjustment knob on the front (available from brezelwerks)

i believe your car should have the flip mirror with the ball socket and a 2 piece cast swivel piece as used from 53-mid 58. they are available reproduction from split parts unlimited who advertises on thesamba.

and

the sunvisor on that car is a 58 sedan only visor,the the 49-52 was 1 visor and square, 53- 58 vert was square and 2 visors (1 shorty) , and 59 was padded waffle pattern

the correct visor for your car is square.

the mirror in that
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
Zwittercab53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. My car has Vin# 1-0419249 and was built ~Dec 1-2 1952. I'm pretty sure it should have the single square visor, a flip miror were the mirror itself is rectangular. I have knowledge of an true original car with a vin ~400# earlier than mine that has this type of mirror.

I do not get the info about the ivory knob. Can't recal I have ever seen any adjustment knob on a convertible mirror. Where should that knob be located?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwittercab53 wrote:
My car has Vin# 1-0419249 and was built ~Dec 1-2 1952. I'm pretty sure it should have the single square visor, a flip miror were the mirror itself is rectangular. I have knowledge of an true original car with a vin ~400# earlier than mine that has this type of mirror.

I do not get the info about the ivory knob. Can't recal I have ever seen any adjustment knob on a convertible mirror. Where should that knob be located?

The interior mirror shown is correct for an early Zwitter. Only the visor is incorrect. A stated, the visor belongs to a 1958/59 sedan. Oct 1952-57 pivoted on a 2pc block as shown above.

1950-52 Kabrioletts rear view mirrors came with an Ivory knob and swiveled on a simple screw hinge.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Zwittercab53 wrote:
My car has Vin# 1-0419249 and was built ~Dec 1-2 1952. I'm pretty sure it should have the single square visor, a flip miror were the mirror itself is rectangular. I have knowledge of an true original car with a vin ~400# earlier than mine that has this type of mirror.

The interior mirror shown is correct for an early Zwitter. Only the visor is incorrect. A stated, the visor belongs to a 1958/59 sedan. Oct 1952-57 pivoted on a 2pc block as shown above.

1950-52 Kabrioletts rear view mirrors came with an Ivory knob and swiveled on a simple screw hinge.

Rareair posted a better pic, the ivory knob was for 50-52 split dash verts... the mirror with no knob, and a screw/spring pivot is zwitter era.

The visor I posted the pic of is totally incorrect, but the mirror arm/base/mirror is correct for a zwitter. Good luck finding that part Wink

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
Zwittercab53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56OvalRHD wrote:
RareAir wrote:
Zwittercab53 wrote:

Rareair posted a better pic, the ivory knob was for 50-52 split dash verts... the mirror with no knob, and a screw/spring pivot is zwitter era.

The visor I posted the pic of is totally incorrect, but the mirror arm/base/mirror is correct for a zwitter. Good luck finding that part Wink

I know these mirrors are hard to come by. Have been keeping my eyes open at swaap meetings for years. A good replica from Split parts unlimited is a likely option. Might even make one myself using sedan parts an manufacture the aluminum parts. Time consuming but doable.

Obviously the early verts had a simpler flip design. But what was the idea behind the knob? Was it for locking the axis in the aluminum socket or was it for adjustments. Cant really see the point in adjusting the tilt of the axis

Seems like everyone aggrees on the look and shape of the visor so that is not an issue.

Still believe that Karmann switched from rectangular to oval mirror sometime during the year end 52/53 and started to mount the oval mirror.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: