Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 hp WW okrasa suggestion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: 36 hp WW okrasa suggestion Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 56 bug
a 36 hp
A recut cam with porsche 1500 super profile
a WW okrasa kit
a 009

I want that the bug be a (relatively) strong week end driver. Not a bonneville speed winner candidate but a bug with character and drivability... any suggestions for a winter project and where to find:

Looking for suggestions about:
Crank
Piston cylinder dimensions
compression ratio
etc...

I saw a tread in the past about that but could not find it!

Thanks and regards

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp WW okrasa suggestion Reply with quote

vwclap wrote:
Hi,
I have a 56 bug
a 36 hp
A recut cam with porsche 1500 super profile
a WW okrasa kit
a 009

Get a 010.. it's more in character with the Okrasa kit and its a better choice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in a stroker crank in mine and cam from Joe Ruiz/Mr. Okrasa.Along with the WW kit. Kept the stock pistons but boosted the C/R to around 8.2 -1. Runs real well and am happy with the performance. It cruises 80MPH now no problem. 009 works OK with it. If you do a search about vintage speed on this site, you will find lots of info. like in one case the 010 does not work as well as the 009 according to one person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
like in one case the 010 does not work as well as the 009 according to one person.

I'd like to see that.

The original Okrasa kit came with a 010. The 009 didn't come out to the late 60s, well after the kit was discontinued.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they say search is your friend Wink I did not state it was correct only that it works with the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
As they say search is your friend Wink I did not state it was correct only that it works with the engine.

I'll pass.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

You may want to think twice before arguing with Glenn about Bosch distributors.......... Shame on you
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

You may want to think twice before arguing with Glenn about Bosch distributors.......... Shame on you

some folks argue just for the sake of argument.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

A nice place to start. http://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/press-souping.htm

Paul

Richard Feynman
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
like in one case the 010 does not work as well as the 009 according to one person.

I'd like to see that.

The original Okrasa kit came with a 010. The 009 didn't come out to the late 60s, well after the kit was discontinued.

Come to the next dyno session when I'm done assembly of the WW Okrassa with the new mods and I'll try every dizzy you want to throw at it. The 009 (German) just worked best, numbers don't lie. The CB billet dizzy seems to work even better once the curve was reset.
Of course with all the new mods done I will try the 009, 010, 019,050 (seems 356 guys like these the best) and the CB again and see which one works best across the board. 010 are great but sometimes some engines just don't like them (of course mine could of had problems Think )
Remember that the WW Okrassa loves and needs a LOT of timing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenn is definitly the man if diizies but 36er has a semi hemi semi hemi Wink chamber and very small bore diameter...those engines like more advance. the 010 is the best looking and the right to go with the okrasa that is totally right, but its not the best for performance. i use a mallory dizzi on mine and have 28° advance at the moment + 12-13° at idle. this work best for me.
and on the blown stock engine i have even more at idle with the stock one +boost retard tin.
times changes and fuel also ...
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

Not arguing Wink Shame on you
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
joe h. wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

I didn't think you were.

I'd like to see the dyno graphs showing the different distributors.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
joe h. wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

I didn't think you were.

I'd like to see the dyno graphs showing the different distributors.

Just my attempt at a little humor.........don't worry, I'll keep my day job.

Personally, I feel for a Vintage Speed engine one should run a Vintage Speed distributor......... unless you are really trying to squeeze every last pony out of it for land speed, 36hp challenge etc. Otherwise you may as well drop in a 1600 dual port.
I too would love to see dyno #'s. Even with a magneto.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you on all our dyno runs all OLDER dizzys were used and never tested on a dizzy machine to see if they were in spec, With the CB unit we were able to set where the advance started and where it stopped and how long it took to get there, we are after max kackle. I'm waiting for CB to release there total control dizzy. You can set all the timing with a laptop and adjust it accordingly to the engine. So while on the dyno we will be able to adjust it at each rpm range for MAX KACKLE.
I do have a Joe Hung mag we were thinking of trying also.

I should send them all to Glen (he is DIZZY GOD) and have him check them and do it all over again, but I found what works for me and will leave it at that.

By NO MEANS do I claim to be an expert, just seat of the pants trying to make power, trying everything to see what works best, I don't care what number is on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the LSR guys use Ed Fall and I will only use him for my Distributor needs. I've seen him work and he has all of the correct Bosch equipment and his stock of parts is amazing. I watched him go through several springs to get it just right when he rebuilt the 010 for me last year. Gave me a printout of the curve at rpm for my distributor also.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is, if you what period correct, then go with a 010. If you want to squeeze the most for a 36hp speed record... use the Mallory since it's adjustable and has ball bearings for the shaft (if that's allowed by the rules).

The 009 was not introduced to the market until after the Okrasa kit was discontinued.

As to my ability to rebuild the old cast iron distributors, just read my feedback.

If you are going for a 36hp LSR, you are probably using Art Thraen for some parts and machine work. Art and Ed are friends and are geographically close to each other, so it makes sense to have Ed do your distributor work along with the fuel pump and carbs rebuilds. Ed's a great guy and I have the utmost respect for his has a person and his work.

splitpile wrote:
I should send them all to Glen (he is DIZZY GOD)
I'm just a guy that has a niche specialty. I have no divine powers.

If you want to send them to me and cover the return shipping I'll be happy to run them on my Sun Distributor Tester.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies...and all the discussions about the distributors choice.
Paul I will read the old speed document this week..and probably will have more questions Smile
I am not a challenger to LSR...just a sunday driver Smile. I like the option to go period with the 010.
A friend of me just built his and put a 356 distributor in it not sure if it is a 018 or 022. Is it a good choice due to the profile of the cam?

About the crank and piston and cylinder what are my choice for a reliable and strong engine (if we can put that in the same sentence....
Joe Ruiz stroker crank is there other choices?

Thanks
Claude

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwclap wrote:
A friend of me just built his and put a 356 distributor in it not sure if it is a 018 or 022. Is it a good choice due to the profile of the cam?

Thanks
Claude

The BR18 and 022 have the same curve. They have 32-33 degrees advance which is way too much for a VW. Also the curve is too aggressive.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwclap wrote:

Thanks
Claude

The BR18 and 022 have the same curve. They have 32-33 degrees advance which is way too much for a VW. Also the curve is too aggressive.

Thanks Glenn
We are learning! Confused

Claude

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: