Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 BT6 - an outlaw in the making
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: 356 BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

AS I bought the project... basically a naked body with the windows and window winders. No mechanics, no interior, no gauges, no switches, no steeringwheel, ... no everything...
You get it Very Happy

As I went to pick it up
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once at home and on to a dolly

Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: 356BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

Front suspension works
I wanted to use beetle trailing arms, but ended up buying original Porsche items since I wanted to keep the needle bearings in the front beam

And after some cleaning and paint

CB performance dropped spindles for disk brakes and link-pin suspensions

Drilling the spindles for the dustplate

All rebushed and assembled

and with the dustplate installed

Vented KERSHER disks installed with new wheel studs and bearings. These brake kits are german TUV approved!!

These vented disks work with these modified T3 calipers (they have bigger pistons compared to beetle)

And all installed at the front of the 356

And testing with a FUCHS wheel... looks good!

Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: 356 BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

At the rear I wanted to use a 1303S IRS gearbox due to its long gearing. Coupled to that would be the rear a-arms of a porsche 944 with the vented disks

But after testfitting this seems not to be a good idea... unless some drastic modifications are done to the Porsche undercarriage. I do not mind to slice and dice a bit... but this seems to need too much Sad

This is teh Porsche a-arms mocked up and positionned as high up as possible. It touches the bottom of the rearseat and the rearwards chassis legs

Testfitting with a FUCHS wheels. This sticks out too far although getting this narrowed would not be that much of an issue

This is the look with a full tire on... even on lowest car position, this is still WAY too high! And this is harder to get lower. It would mean sectionning the chassis + a-arms.

So my new plan of attack: a straight axle gearbox with the early narrow torsion tubes. Onto these I would then fit the Porsche 944 rear disks.
Still need to mock this up to see how much this would narrow the rear versus this IRS 944 set-up?
And how low I could make it go to check how much I would still need to section the chassis. stay tuned!

Last edited by Peter - Belgium on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: 356BT6 - An outlaw in the making Reply with quote

I'm not sure about front wheels and tyres.
either 4" FUCHS with a 145 tyre
either 5,5" FUCHS with a wider lowprofile tyre just as on my SLAMBULANCE

This is how it would look on the 356

Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: 356 BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

AS interior I really want the ALU speedster steats in there, but as a back-up I bought these SIMCA seats from teh 70's

The little girl likes them (also note the modified 1957 beetle steering coloumn and steering wheel)

BUT if someone knows of a nice set of ALU speedster seats still for sale... let me know!
radish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Peter are the link pins carriers from 356 or beetle?
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 356BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

Expect for the 4 trailing arms, all parts are standard beetle items!
The linkpins with their bushings are a new kit you can buy from the VW stores, the linkpin carriers are pre 64 beetle spindle parts.

And everything fits nicely Very Happy

The Porsche trailing arms are basically VW items (they still have the VW logo!), but with an extra sleeve pressed for the out bearing and a part welded on them for the anti-roll bar on the lower arms.

In my opinion this is the best way to lower your 356 avoiding the hassle with the adjusters so you keep the standard ride quality.
Drawback is if you want to keep the original Porsche drums... not sure if they can (be made to) fit the CB performance spindles? On the other hand a good time to upgrade to diskbrakes Very Happy
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 356BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
Expect for the 4 trailing arms, all parts are standard beetle items!
The linkpins with their bushings are a new kit you can buy from the VW stores, the linkpin carriers are pre 64 beetle spindle parts.

And everything fits nicely Very Happy

The Porsche trailing arms are basically VW items (they still have the VW logo!), but with an extra sleeve pressed for the out bearing and a part welded on them for the anti-roll bar on the lower arms.

In my opinion this is the best way to lower your 356 avoiding the hassle with the adjusters so you keep the standard ride quality.
Drawback is if you want to keep the original Porsche drums... not sure if they can (be made to) fit the CB performance spindles? On the other hand a good time to upgrade to diskbrakes Very Happy

IRS arms can be swapped left for right and right for left and installed up side down (you remove the shock absorber mount and re-install it). This allows you to go lower without increased camber. You may want to mock it up that way before shelving the IRS idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 356BT6 - an outlaw in the making Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:

IRS arms can be swapped left for right and right for left and installed up side down (you remove the shock absorber mount and re-install it). This allows you to go lower without increased camber. You may want to mock it up that way before shelving the IRS idea.

Thanks for the thought! I have done this trick on my Slambulance to indeed keep the camber at a nice level, but in the 356 the issue is the back seat area and the rearward chassisssections are just too low!
Raising the seat-area is not really an issue, but if I want to get to the height I want in the back, I need a lot of sectionning done there...
I have soms pics of this, will post them over the weekend.

it is different in the A models, but the B/C models are a pain for that IRS conversion (unless some serious work is done, but I prefer to keep the body as standard as I can in case one day I want to go back to the OG suspension set-up)
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooool, i would get my cutting tools out and make it fit. you'll never want to put it back og after you get it outlawed. keep the pictures comeing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pancho villa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: OUTLAW Reply with quote

Get em Pete.
Budcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Outlaw Reply with quote

I have seen most IRS conversions done with early 911 banana arms. Would they solve your clearance problem? Confused
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Outlaw Reply with quote

Budcar wrote:
I have seen most IRS conversions done with early 911 banana arms. Would they solve your clearance problem? Confused

I have been thinking about these as well and think they will solve part of the issue, but not sure if they will get me low enough?
And if they would get the car low, not sure on width? Would these be as wide as the 944 arms with disks? Since that did not work...

A friend of mine is checking if he can find a set I could use to mock-up things.

Little downside...I have all 944 parts, disks, calipers, ... and if I would move to the 911arms, I need to buy everything new again Sad
Budcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few threads on the 356 registry forum that have info on a 901 conversion. PM Mike Moss he has a Power Point document he will send you that also has a lot of info.
Budcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: IRS conversion Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
I saw your post on the 356 registry. SWB is short wheel base 911/912 (1960's) the trailing arms (banana) are shorter than the later cars. I'm about to start to do the conversion on a T5. I'm waiting for a piece of 911 torsion bar for the trailing arm/trans mounts. I sent you a PM me on the 356 registry with my email. I will then send you pictures of what you need.

Ken
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before completely shelving the IRS idea, I will try those 911 banana arms. From what I have seen, they should work Very Happy
But then I should find a way to fit my 944 vented disks and calipers on the arms since otherwise that would look stupid with vented disks up front and solid ones in the rear...

Another of the items for my interior is the Spyder550 e-brake! My first AutoCAD designs before I can have them lasercut shows me I have about 23-24mm pull action on the e-brake cables

Should end up looking something like this, but then without all the holes and in fully polished INOX

Budcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not look stupid with solid disks in the rear. My 72 911 came from the factory with vented in the front and solid in the rear. Nobody has ever said it looked stupid. Anyway it is just a bolt on with later 911 rotor and caliper if you really want vented.
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: 356 outlaw Reply with quote

After the 6" FUCHS check at the front, time for the 4,5" FUCHS check...

Not sure what would be best... guess a final check will be needed once the car is back on its wheels!
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: 356 Reply with quote

All parts lasercut in 4mm INOX

test assembly

round tube transformed into the release handle

Perfect match for the teeth!

Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: 356 Reply with quote

I finished the brake lever!!

Main clamp I will use

And after welding the brake assembly to teh clamp

Still needs final polishing and correct length of bolts etc... but the main part is done Cool
Now lets see what this says once it is in the car!

First next step will be to fit that gearbox in the 356... As soon as that one is in its place, I can check to hook up the rear brakes and this brake lever!

lets hope it all works Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: