Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake issues in the rain
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
falernium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Brake issues in the rain Reply with quote

Hey folks, did a pretty decent search and couldn't come up with an answer to my issue. I have a 70 standard and when it starts raining outside I have some nifty braking ahead of me. Normally the system is pretty stiff. Then the opposite in the rain, super loose and squishy. I know since they are drum brakes that the overall depression on the brake pedal is going to increase, but this is pretty dramatic. Also, the brake pedal has a nasty habit of sticking down in an engaged position and I have to lean down and manually pull the pedal back out. This only happens in the rain. Is my pedal assembly just old and rusty or are there more sinister forces at work here. Thanks in advance for forthcoming responses! Very Happy
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check and make sure the spring is hooked to the brake pedal.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, if the pedal assy is pretty grungy, you out to pull it and do a rebuild, which is pretty much just taking it apart, cleaning, painting and regreasing. And while you are at it replace the pedal return spring as mentioned. It's not that hard - the biggest hassles are removing the pin that holds the pedal on the shaft (I don't remember which direction you need to tap it out) and putting the assy back in.

There have been procedures posted on how to do this. Also, a quick tip is to use a zip tie to hold the clutch cable on the arm when you put it back together.

As to why it only does it in the rain, makes no sense to me. Maybe someone else has an idea. The only thing that I would suggest is to bleed the brakes, but when you re doing it, kind of do a flush to replace the bulk of the fluid.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And use tires with plenty of tread....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
falernium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. i figured it was just the old rusty mechanism.... i will pull everything, and clean and take care of the rust issues, which i think is why it only happens in the rain. makes everything sticky. nice tip with the zip ties!!!
Big-C wrote:
Shop owners should pay SAMBA a stipend for reducing the number of idiot phone questions.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nice tip with the zip ties!!!

I would love to take credit for that, but I think I got the idea from Glenn. In fact find his website and he has a pedal restoration on it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: