Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch will not engage
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What might help us would be photos of your clutch release lever "as is" and when the clutch pedal is pushed all the way down. "As is" should be essentially straight up and down, and with pedal pushed all the way down should be about 45 degree angle.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a pic and post it. It is about verticle (maybe a little towards 1:00), if my memory serves me.

I will check this PM.

If anyone has and idea about the cable dispacement, I maight be able to tie the issue to the pedal assemble. Right now ithe pedal only moves the cable 1/2 inch (total) w/o the clutch attached.

More later

Pete
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem!!!!

The eye was off the hook at the pedal. Some hoe it was wedged in and got some motion (the 1/2 inch I had seen).

The eye has a long sweged color which also hits the tube if the pedal goes back too far. It just pops off when this happens

It is working now, but one pull back and off it goes again.

I will need to find a cabe with a shorter (original style) collar

Thanks to every one who helped

Pete[/img]
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterA wrote:
The eye has a long sweged color which also hits the tube if the pedal goes back too far. It just pops off when this happens

Sound like you need to adjust the return stop on the clutch pedal to prevent it from coming back too far. Unless your collar has an un-normally long collar?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40
Some one else told me to adjust the clutch stop. I cannot find reference to it in and manual, JM Bentley etc..

The brake stop is cut short of reaching the clutch pedal side (looks like this in the manuals pics as well)

Is there some thing about this I am missing??

Peter
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterA wrote:

The brake stop is cut short of reaching the clutch pedal side (looks like this in the manuals pics as well)

Is there some thing about this I am missing??

Peter

the pedal stop kinds double duties on both pedals. there are tabs at the bottom of the pedal arms that they hit and stop. if you redid the floor pans then the bolt hole could be off enough to miss the clutch. i have use modified steel angle for a pedal stop when using non vw floorpans (sheet steel).

picture below show how it should look.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pafree
Interesting! My floorpan is original, but the nut was cracked (PO must have driven over something and hit it). No other sing of damage.

My car is a '68 and it really looks like the stock bracket only covers the brake side, but I see what you mean. It looks like the clutch pedal is set up for a stop as well.

What year car is the photo you sent from?

Every time I look at this the plot thickens.

Good thing it is driving while I think about it (big help).

Thanks your your insight,

Pete
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterA wrote:
Pafree
Interesting! My floorpan is original, but the nut was cracked (PO must have driven over something and hit it). No other sing of damage.

My car is a '68 and it really looks like the stock bracket only covers the brake side, but I see what you mean. It looks like the clutch pedal is set up for a stop as well.

What year car is the photo you sent from?

Every time I look at this the plot thickens.

Good thing it is driving while I think about it (big help).

not sure of the year. picture from the gallery. all years are simular though. not sure if autostick ones were different, was you car converted from autostick? wouldnot take much to fab one or buy another and add by sticking another bolt or big screw through the floorboard. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=895226
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the PO and they drove the car for a couple of years before parking it for several years. I do not know what the owners before that did. Are there any other signs that it may have been a autostick?

The stop bracket looks just like the one sold by WW and I think it is the stock one. The nut welded to the floor was cracked and I had a new one welded. They may have shifted it a little.

Does the bracket center between the pedal stops? Mine just misses the clutch pedal? I will have to find another beetle to take a look at locally.

Pete
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterA wrote:
The nut welded to the floor was cracked and I had a new one welded. They may have shifted it a little.

Does the bracket center between the pedal stops? Mine just misses the clutch pedal? I will have to find another beetle to take a look at locally.

Pete

sounds like the nut was not centered correctly and yes the stop should stop both pedal. kinda spliting the difference. couple opinions: reweld the nut, fab a wider stop, and mark where the bolt goes through the stop and drill a hole/notch in the stop so you can slide it over so it hits on the clutch pedal.

as far as the autosticks signs: is it irs or swing? extra holes in the engine compartment on the passenger side where the line went to a reserve tank. if they did not change the shift rod then it could have a longer adaptor shift coupler for the conversion.
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pafree
Thanks for the reply. The car is a swing axle. One of the last US swing axles from what I can tell, built July 1968.

There are no extra hole on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I think it was a manual from birth.

It is an odd car. It had some rust where I do not normally see it (gutters), but all the typical ware parts are in great shape. The interior was destroyed by the sun where I live in So Central Calif.

I will probably just make a bracket. If the bracket covers both the clutch and the brake, then can I assume that both levers will always be at the same stop height?

Right now the clutch pedal is significantly higher that the brake pedal.

Thanks again for all your help.

Pete
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterA wrote:
. The car is a swing axle. One of the last US swing axles from what I can tell, built July 1968.

I think it was a manual from birth.

It is an odd car.

I will probably just make a bracket. If the bracket covers both the clutch and the brake, then can I assume that both levers will always be at the same stop height?

Right now the clutch pedal is significantly higher that the brake pedal.

FYI, 68 was the first year for autostick. manuals were swing and autos were IRS in that year for america (dont want to open a can of worms about canadian and other country cars) built cars.

ALL vw are odd. you just have to learn your car and they will always surpise you.

if the clutch pedal stop is above the stop, do you think if you put washers or a spacer under the stop on the floorboard, you have and use a longer bolt that it would work?
PeterA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pafree
Thanks for the reply. The stop plate bolted to the floor clearly covers more to the passenger side (brake side) than the clutch side. It would appear the the stop was not intended to stop the clutch pedal.

The bolt hole in the stop plate is clearly not in the middle, it is towards the driver side (more plate stands out towards the passenger, brake pedal, side).

It really appears that not stop was intended for the clutch pedal.

Not sure what originally was there. When I bought the car there was a 1/4 inch steel plate under the pan as the not had failed and the PO had used it the replace the cracked nut (a little over kill).

I had the nut replaced. It was not too dramatic, so it is hard to think that it is off by more that a few 1/16 inch.

Who know what it really should be. A stop for the clutch might help.

Pete
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: