Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was able to nearly finish the right side rust repair yesterday.Tough work!I had some fit issues,played it cool and took my time. The floor was the hard part. The C pillar was a pain as well.My Roper and Whitney jr.#5 hand punch did not let me down. Next its time to put the brakes in and fire this relic up! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KarmannBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Well done, sir. Hope to one day see this bus in person. Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronomical work. What make is the outer rocker?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the cargo floor,the pic does not do it justice. I need to swap over the original seat eyelets and cut and weld a plate. That rocker pictured is from Auto craft. Yesterday after a good nights rest from Saturday,I noticed it sucks in a bit in the middle. I removed it. I will be using a KF rocker when it is available. The B and C pillars were a bit of a chore to get just right. I will be going through the brakes this week as well as the outer 3 inches of the left side of the cargo floor and sneak in the two pillar supports. I now understand how to post pics up in a forum,its very easy. So more pics will be posted up as I get moving along. Thanks for the kind words and support!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type47fan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:

I was able to nearly finish the right side rust repair yesterday.Tough work!I had some fit issues,played it cool and took my time. The floor was the hard part. The C pillar was a pain as well.My Roper and Whitney jr.#5 hand punch did not let me down. Next its time to put the brakes in and fire this relic up! Very Happy

Looks great. What are you grinding with?
My 66 Westy Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5825134#5825134
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using nothing but Dremel ez lock metal cut off wheels for all grinding. It is time consuming,and expensive. The trick is to just let the Dremel do its thing with no added pressure. It is hard to make a slip up using the Dremel, welds look pretty clean knocked down as well. If anyone has an easier way,please share,its greatly appreciated!
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that if your not careful when welding in the strengthener you can make it warp some tucking in the middle.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havn't ordered the KF rocker yet I would highly suggest the WW one. The new one in grey is absolutely fantastic. I can't speak highly enough of their new stuff. Every piece is a gem

NAES
SBS #00
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUBUGME2 wrote:
I know that if your not careful when welding in the strengthener you can make it warp some tucking in the middle.

This could be what happened, the AC rockers I've seen are incredible.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the battle of the outer cargo floor weld,I realized that I had not tacked the strengthener to the outer rocker. I remember a brief sense of panic as you cant get it out even with the outer rocker off. What I decided to do was use a small 1/8th drill bit and drill in throught my already punched holes into the strengthener. I then used sheet metal screws to pull it together. This trick worked very well. I put three tacks into the outer rocker on the bottom of the inner rocker, I think nine on the floor to the outer. I did not have the strengthener tacked at all to the cargo rocker. Sunday I looked at my tacks,closed the doors and could notice it. I have had that rocker for awhile,it always kinda looked strange to me. Maybe just and older version? I have seen in person some other pieces of theirs,all looked top notch.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze that sounds like something I would do lol. I know that I have welded one together once and really messed it up. I ended up having to drill my spot welds and straighten it all and start over... Live and learn
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you save the cargo door stake strike strengthener (say that fast aloud three times) to put back on the floor piece you replaced?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I saved it. Of course. This bus is special to me,early 55 non barndoor,lots of details to get correct. I have four other 55s,not this early. Two have wide mesh like this one. Paying attention to detail is important. Getting this old bird above all done correctly is important to me. All work is done by myself and of course Kim Schultz, also through the eyes of my mean eyed cat named Fisbo. I have decided to stick with "Pillenstein" because nearly two years of not driving it is killing me!!I am happy to post pics on request. I have also been speaking with Craig via email of The Kombishack in New Zealand to come up with a early Wolfsburg bus front roof section repair panel for early non barndoor Wolfsburg buses. I will be getting this info to him this weekend to get this moving forward. Hopefully these efforts will help everyone out with early non barndoor Wolfsburg buses. Very Happy
Sitka Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it on the road yet?
claytonalbright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story, what's the status?
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update would be nice! Where ya been Steve? Perhaps buried in snow?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some updates,way overdue. I drove this bus nearly twenty miles in August,came up to a stop light and suddenly I could feel a bad vibration in the chassis. The trans lost all gears but 3rd. I was able to limp it home for two miles. It has been parked since. Those twenty miles were a blast!! The semaphores work perfectly. The trans is out,just need to open it up and get with it. The welding is not finished. Still need to do the overhead air box and some fab in that area. Thats about it for welding repairs. I have finally found all the glass!! Trying to locate a sand green engine lid prop. Now for terrible news. It was a warm morning,my spirits were high,anxious and excited as I did not sleep too well thinking about this day. This day was engine extraction day.When I arrived on the farmland something was was wrong. Huge piles of debris on one side of the property. The collapsed buildings on the property had been knocked down and bull dozed over. My engine was gone. I was, and still am beyond sick. I have called all area scrap yards. No luck. There is no proof it was removed from the property. We are talking eighty acres. Worst case If I cannot locate my engine,I do have its original number,I do have a non stamped 36hp case. However,I would much rather have my motor. The rear bumper is still missing as well. I will update hopefully soon with more pics. Can anybody tell me where here in the PNW I could take the bus to have the paint fade-blending done over my welding repairs? Also good pg-sg seat covers? I wll try to take this bus to most of the shows in summer 2013 in the PNW.
clnvwe2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, don't let these things get you down. You saved a incredible bus!!!! It has to be a great feeling, driving the bus after it had sat for so long. She's no longer sleeping!!!!!!!
Keep your head up, it will all work out.
pinballwiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update??
clnvwe2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2

Cunado 4 life!!!!!!!

Instagram : Flatkool

WTB- The Brundage Motors Plate frame that Merrpie Pribanic's looking for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: