Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow Tires, undercoating, mud flaps... winter topics.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodyear wrangler A/Ts
(used mail truck tires)

very similar to the BFGs that i can't afford.
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, busses do pretty well in the snow.

If you are only going to drive a little in the snow, then it should not be a problem. However, if you are planning a trip to where there is REAL snow, then you may need to worry some.

BY the way, I love my BFG All Terrain K/Os, but haven't had a chance to run them in the snow yet.

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: a little more off top Reply with quote

boxxcar wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
If you plan on doing anything with your bus after september around here you better get familiar with this stuff soon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm just setting up to run the winter. Those RustCheck Prods are maybe only on shelves way up there? I'd like to get an innerpanel spray into the kit. but don't know if it's distributed here in the Midlantic east coast.

BD? Anybody else out east?

According to their website, Kmart is a distributor but the Kmart website does not list it as a product they carry. Might be worth a stop in regardless? I'd like to nab some too.
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well if you're planning on going to Tofino I'd definitely get some chains. Think of how scary that 18% grade will be if there's frost on it...yikes!!!! Or maybe you can search around for used snow tires that'd fit the bus.
I wish my wetsuit still fit, I haven't been surfing in a while because of it! Sad
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wurth makes a nice "fogging compound" just for inner panels. You might need to get it from a body shop supply house though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Of the north
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baumer99 wrote:
I run Continental Vanco Vikings.

I just put them on for a work trip to Northern BC/Yukon over the next couple of weeks ~6,000 km or so. Could probably wait another six weeks here on the coast. Since I got them, there is no going back to all seasons in the winter.

This photo is from last year in early November doing the same thing. Notice a green can of something?? Laughing

Where did you get your tires. I'm in Calgary looking for these.
Thanks.
baumer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Of the north wrote:

Where did you get your tires. I'm in Calgary looking for these.
Thanks.

They are 205 65 15's, a gift from my father as he was no longer using them on his Eurovan. He purchased them from the local VW dealership in Nanaimo about 3 years ago (I used to work there ~20 yrs ago). I think OK Tire carries them as well.

I haven't shopped around for replacements yet, but I've eyed up Nokian Hakkapeliitta C or WRC's and Vredestein Comtrac Winters if you can't find the Continentals.

That Alberni Pass (Sutton Pass) can be quite a bitch in the winter, everything's fine until you start to climb and then oh shit... it snows here???

Aaron &
Vicki - 78 Riviera
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestone Winterforce. Technically the ones I have are passenger car tires, but I don't drive it much in the winter.

These are actual M+S tires with the mountain and the snowflake emblem.
Most tires that just stamp M+S on them without the mountain/snowflake meet minimal industry requirements for tread design, but are not actually tested in the snow and mud.
Tires with the little picture of the mountain/snowflake have to pass actual driving tests to earn the emblem or it cannot legally be on there. Little known fact.
calivw78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running Nokian Hakkapelitta CS's year round now and am very happy with them. Have an RA08 as the spare since the Hakk's are directional. The rubber is just hard enough that year round use has not shown extreme wear. They obviously channel heavy rain well too.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11889&group=3.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+CS

You can see them on the bus @ http://calivw78.com/photos/index.php/parts/tire/nokian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If you plan on doing anything with your bus after september around here you better get familiar with this stuff soon.

I'm gonna bump this one up with a RustCheck question. Does the heavier stuff come in a spray? My understanding is that it does, "coat and protect" as in the above picture seems to be the thicker undercarriage stuff?
Or is the one above just the drippy stuff? Problem is, I don't have a compressor and have nowhere to spray... Confused

And, how many spray cans will doe the bottom of a bus?

Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyomingriviera wrote:
I really like these when I go out onto the snowpacked wyoming roads:

They're the proper size/weight range Cooper SRM II. They are M&S, rated, and have worked really well. I don't drive the bus much in the winter 'cause the heat kinda sucks, but on warmer sunny days she'll come out. Compared to the POS sears tires that were on there, these rule!

$58
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&...htweiter=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:

I'm gonna bump this one up with a RustCheck question. Does the heavier stuff come in a spray? My understanding is that it does, "coat and protect" as in the above picture seems to be the thicker undercarriage stuff?
Or is the one above just the drippy stuff? Problem is, I don't have a compressor and have nowhere to spray... Confused

I also have the same problem, no where to spray and no compressor. I was looking at the Canadian Tire site the other day and found this:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoB...?locale=en

Under the reviews it says its good for heavier application. So I'm assuming yes??
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Hmm... I'll bet it'd take 10-15+ of those little spray cans to get a good coat on everything, you could likely rent a small compressor for the day and buy the shutz gun way cheaper. It takes me 2 of the thick (green) and one of the thin (red) to do a really good job inside all the cavities and put a thin coat all over the bottom, I mix them together to thin the thick stuff out.
A thin coat on the belly softens up the old undercoat and seals everything up nice. Pick up 3' of 1/4" stiff nylon water tubing from the plumbing dept. while you're there and about 6" of 3/8" fuel line to connect it to the shutz gun for doing inside the rocker, frame and dogleg cavities, it kinda spatters out the end in a fog but one little drip is 3" in diameter the next day. Get some old cardboard for the garage floor too, it's messy and will drip for days.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can put it straight on over your old undercoating, you don't have to scrape it off or anything?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better if you get the loose stuff off first of course, I pressure wash and let it dry for a few days or more before I go at it with the goo. You'd be amazed at the amount of sand, dust and coffee grounds like rust flakes that come out of the frame rails, outriggers and jack points, the cleaner it is the less places to trap salty moisture later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It's better if you get the loose stuff off first of course, I pressure wash and let it dry for a few days or more before I go at it with the goo. You'd be amazed at the amount of sand, dust and coffee grounds like rust flakes that come out of the frame rails, outriggers and jack points, the cleaner it is the less places to trap salty moisture later.

So, you use the "goo" even though you don't drive in the winter at all?
And if you do drive, do you wash the undercarriage during the salty times? Does Rustcheck wash away?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive it if it's been raining alot or if it's cold but the roads are dry, if I know I got into some salt (river from melting snow drift, caught in a shower on a dry salted road, etc...) I'll hose it off after or go for a drive on a super rainy day when it's been raining for a few days. Up on the hoist for a pressure wash in the spring too. The Rust check doesn't wash off with a hose, a pressure washer or steam cleaner takes it off though, it does wear away in the wheel wells after a season of rain, that's when those spray cans are handy for touch up's.

Слава Україні!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I drive it if it's been raining alot or if it's cold but the roads are dry, if I know I got into some salt (river from melting snow drift, caught in a shower on a dry salted road, etc...) I'll hose it off after or go for a drive on a super rainy day when it's been raining for a few days. Up on the hoist for a pressure wash in the spring too. The Rust check doesn't wash off with a hose, a pressure washer or steam cleaner takes it off though, it does wear away in the wheel wells after a season of rain, that's when those spray cans are handy for touch up's.

Good to know, thanks. That's kinda my winter driving plan too. But man, that's a lot of cans... now I need to figure out how to get it coated. I don't think I want to run a compressor in "my" garage.
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hoist? Geeze you are a fancy one busdaddy!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
A hoist? Geeze you are a fancy one busdaddy!

Welll.... hoist is kind of a relative term here at the bus farm, I do have a 4 poster I plan on installing outdoors for just such jobs, but at the moment I rely on Big Bertha when I need to tickle the underbelly of a vehicle.

Can't beat big power tools Razz

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: