Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow Tires, undercoating, mud flaps... winter topics.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
skid wrote:
A hoist? Geeze you are a fancy one busdaddy!

Welll.... hoist is kind of a relative term here at the bus farm, I do have a 4 poster I plan on installing outdoors for just such jobs, but at the moment I rely on Big Bertha when I need to tickle the underbelly of a vehicle.

Can't beat big power tools Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh you bastid! LOL Perks of semi-rural place!
Well, I'm slotted right downtown on off Beach Ave. Even though I have great conditions for working on my bus compared to average apartment building(for example, I'd have no trouble pulling the engine and working on it), I have to draw the line somewhere. Hoists and compressors are on the other side of the line! Laughing
I do however have a powerwasher and a slanted driveway in front of the building I could use to get a better view of the bottom of the bus(with a pair of ramps that is). But that's for washing, not applying goo.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
Ridiculous!

I just realized, we need some mud flaps! Are you running any? I know Busdaddy have them on his bus(es). CIP has the EMPI ones for $50 a pair, but I don't want an EMPI logo on them Rolling Eyes
Black, or ones with VW logo would be great... but they seem almost double in price. Evil or Very Mad
Gowesty seems to have black ones for $20 a flap(w hardware).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
skid wrote:
Ridiculous!

I just realized, we need some mud flaps! Are you running any? I know Busdaddy have them on his bus(es). CIP has the EMPI ones for $50 a pair, but I don't want an EMPI logo on them Rolling Eyes
Black, or ones with VW logo would be great... but they seem almost double in price. Evil or Very Mad

We do! I would love to get some, they would be great for the copious amount of wet leaves. I've been seeing a bus around East Van that was had some "Keep on Truckin'" mudflaps. That would be pretty rad, I also would rather not have the Empi logo...barf. Go Westy seems to be the best bet...especially if they have hardware. You can paint a VW logo on the plain mudflaps! haha
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
Batan wrote:
skid wrote:
Ridiculous!

We do! I would love to get some, they would be great for the copious amount of wet leaves. I've been seeing a bus around East Van that was had some "Keep on Truckin'" mudflaps. That would be pretty rad, I also would rather not have the Empi logo...barf. Go Westy seems to be the best bet...especially if they have hardware. You can paint a VW logo on the plain mudflaps! haha

They do seem to be the best bet, but there's a confusing thing on their site. When you search, they come up as 68-79 mud flaps, but when you click on details, it says the ones they sell fit 74-79.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the pre 72 style brackets are easy to fab up with some 1' X 1/8" flat stock (Canadian tire sells short lengths) and some universal flaps from Princess auto or Canadian tire. It's just a bar between the engine mount and the lower lip of the rear corner panel. The fronts just screw on to the back of the front outrigger/jack point.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
Pics of early ones in my gallery too Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You know the pre 72 style brackets are easy to fab up with some 1' X 1/8" flat stock (Canadian tire sells short lengths) and some universal flaps from Princess auto or Canadian tire. It's just a bar between the engine mount and the lower lip of the rear corner panel. The fronts just screw on to the back of the front outrigger/jack point.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
Pics of early ones in my gallery too Wink

Been wondering about that too but I didn't know what Princess Auto and CT stock for generic mud flaps as I never paid attention to them! Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the ones from CT are kinda spendy considering most crack and fall off after a few years or are so stiff you could jack the bus up with 'em, PA has some super thick bendy rubber ones in assorted sizes for fresh off the boat from China prices Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Alot of the ones from CT are kinda spendy considering most crack and fall off after a few years or are so stiff you could jack the bus up with 'em, PA has some super thick bendy rubber ones in assorted sizes for fresh off the boat from China prices Razz

I figure PA would have some good stuff, love that store! BTW, what did you use to protect the holes after drilling the brackets in for the fronts?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheated and used Tek screws (self drilling), just a thick coat of green rust check before the flaps went on.

Слава Україні!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I cheated and used Tek screws (self drilling), just a thick coat of green rust check before the flaps went on.

You might be onto something with that. BMW is using self tapping screws on the frame of their new big tourer to rival Honda Goldwing. Their reason for it is since this is a very hidden from the eye part of the frame, it's an anti-corrosion measure as it leaves no air or moisture-exposed metal. Interesting approach I thought.
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the ones at crappy tire and figured you could make em work somehow. Maybe I'll take a drive one day out to Princess Auto instead! Also good to know about those tek screws. Now....to make time and ward off the rains and get all the other stuff done! Rolling Eyes
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want thick stuff in a spray can? Why not get this stuff at Carquest.
It's kind of similar to waxoil. Not the black rubberized stuff. Been using it for years myself.

mam89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ahead of the game with some mad overkill, I've picked myself up an
eberspacher b4l gasoline heater to mount (somehow, still figuring that one
out) for snow camping in the mountains. I have also insulated and restored
my heater ducting for the stock system. It blows enough heat through the
front and middle vents of my bus to keep me toasty while driving with just 1
solid heater box.

Those things (warmth is good) and a pair of chains, and I'm good to go for winter. No salt here!

78 Westy
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Central Texas Autowerks for VW mudflaps. I got some a few weeks ago for about $50 (including brackets) and they shipped to Canada in just a few days - great service and the flaps look sweet.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giller wrote:
Try Central Texas Autowerks for VW mudflaps. I got some a few weeks ago for about $50 (including brackets) and they shipped to Canada in just a few days - great service and the flaps look sweet.

To they have the front ones as well?
prairie_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I need new mud flaps for my 1978, but I see Central Texas Autowerks doesn't list any for my 78; only pre 73's. Do those pre 73's work fine?
#12, C, Bay Window forum hockey team
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know about what they have or don't have. You should email Steve at Central Texas Autowerks, as he's quick to respond.

http://www.centraltexasautowerks.com/
prairie_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's better if you get the loose stuff off first of course, I pressure wash and let it dry for a few days or more before I go at it with the goo. You'd be amazed at the amount of sand, dust and coffee grounds like rust flakes that come out of the frame rails, outriggers and jack points, the cleaner it is the less places to trap salty moisture later.

So other than getting the obvious loose stuff off, does the Rust Check just go over top of existing surface rust? Is that kinda the point of it? I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question, but I am going to coat the bottom in the green Rust Check stuff......just want to be sure
#12, C, Bay Window forum hockey team
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always better if you can treat the surface rust first, rust mort and Tremclad are ideal, but it does slow down existing rust alot.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: