Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow Tires, undercoating, mud flaps... winter topics.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to point out that those fresh air fans work wonders, especially if you live in a wet soggy climate like the Pacific Northwest and are planning to do a lot of winter driving.
They aren't very loud and I definitely prefer them over a towel.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
I want to point out that those fresh air fans work wonders, especially if you live in a wet soggy climate like the Pacific Northwest and are planning to do a lot of winter driving.

You're talking about the ambulance fans? And I think a squeegee would work better the then a towel.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
skid wrote:

You're talking about the ambulance fans? And I think a squeegee would work better the then a towel.

Yeah, that's the ones I'm talking about. A squeegee would work too....but really, what would you rather be doing? Concentrating on steering/driving while the fans clear your windshield for you or do you wanna concentrate on steering/driving while at the same time you're squeegeeing the inside of your windshield? Razz

After I installed those fans I was wondering how the hell I got around without them!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you actually have them, sweet! Never thought about that but it makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sew squeegees to the backs of a pair of mittens, done! Razz Or maybe an ice scraper on one and squeegee on the other Wink

With a well sealed up bus that doesn't fill with water when you hit a puddle (rust hole free) and a well sealed heat system fogging isn't a real issue. Adding a booster fan to the heat tube under the bus make a significant difference, I'd go that route before the ambulance fans myself.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sew squeegees to the backs of a pair of mittens, done! Razz Or maybe an ice scraper on one and squeegee on the other Wink

With a well sealed up bus that doesn't fill with water when you hit a puddle (rust hole free) and a well sealed heat system fogging isn't a real issue. Adding a booster fan to the heat tube under the bus make a significant difference, I'd go that route before the ambulance fans myself.

LOL, a blow drier taped to one's head helps too! No need to make the mittens, they already exist in the motorcycle world, lol.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jokes aside, it remains to be seen when it gets chillier, but my Bus's heat seems pretty nice and toasty. And that is with one of the rubber seals missing between the accordion tube and body! I'm planning on getting that done as soon as I have a batch of parts to order from wherever. In fact, I will get that when I order my H4 upgrade. Smile
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus's heat is nice and toasty too.....when it gets going. It really helped for those first few stops. But that's me Very Happy
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
My bus's heat is nice and toasty too.....when it gets going. It really helped for those first few stops. But that's me Very Happy

Ah, that's right! It will stay cold for a while. And I don't have a thermostat in there either.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theremostat or not it takes 10+ minutes before anything worthwhile comes out of the vents, I've tried numerous fixes and short of a valve/valves to stop the flow through the heat exchangers for a faster warmup it's just a quirk of the system, that's why I went to the BN-4 mod Wink keep the revs way up and open a vent window and it's not that bad though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
skid wrote:

Ah, that's right! It will stay cold for a while. And I don't have a thermostat in there either.

....My Bus stays cold all winter- because it stays in the garage all winter. How do you think it survived this long?
Respectfully,
greenbus pilot
Rustbelt, USA
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
Batan wrote:
skid wrote:

....My Bus stays cold all winter- because it stays in the garage all winter. How do you think it survived this long?
Respectfully,
greenbus pilot
Rustbelt, USA

What we have here in Vancouver between November and February, only wimps can call real winter.

Batan wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Alot of the ones from CT are kinda spendy considering most crack and fall off after a few years or are so stiff you could jack the bus up with 'em, PA has some super thick bendy rubber ones in assorted sizes for fresh off the boat from China prices Razz

I figure PA would have some good stuff, love that store! BTW, what did you use to protect the holes after drilling the brackets in for the fronts?

Looking at these mud flaps of yours again, I was wondering Busdaddy, any particular reason not to mount them on the FRONT side of the jack point? It seems like they'd protect that part too if mounted forward, no? Confused
dvergillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the Defender-Plus system? They have been pushing it on SpeedTV recently.

http://www.defender-plus.com/

Basic automotive unit is almost $400.00 but they are having a SpeedTV special at about $350.00 with shipping.

Seems pricey but if can extend the life of the bus??????????
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and get a season pass at the local car wash.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvergillo wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Defender-Plus system? They have been pushing it on SpeedTV recently.

Basic automotive unit is almost $400.00 but they are having a SpeedTV special at about $350.00 with shipping.

If you have your bus immersed in salt water, adding one of these would extend its life by a few days. What it would do for a bus that is just being driven down the road is much more questionable. It might protect any metal close to where their anodes are, but probably wouldn't do much for any metal further away.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
dvergillo wrote:

If you have your bus immersed in salt water, adding one of these would extend its life by a few days. What it would do for a bus that is just being driven down the road is much more questionable. It might protect any metal close to where their anodes are, but probably wouldn't do much for any metal further away.

just galvanize dip the whole bus every season. Problem solved!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

just galvanize dip the whole bus every season. Problem solved!

I have thought about doing that, at least to the up to the floor level. Would be worried that it would end up 1000# heavier when they got done though. Actually there is a guy not too far from here set up to do spray welding. He could pretty much put the zinc right where you want it without leaving heavy puddles hidden here and there. Couldn't do the inside of anything with a spray welder though.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen spray welded body panels here at the place that media blasted the bus. They did not have it available when we did the bus as it would have been perfect around the small sunroof area that had pinholes and threw the whole bodywork budget out. I was impressed with how strong the repair is and how well it goes on.
johnwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batan wrote:
greenbus pilot wrote:
Batan wrote:
skid wrote:

Respectfully,
greenbus pilot
Rustbelt, USA

What we have here in Vancouver between November and February, only wimps can call real winter.

Batan wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Alot of the ones from CT are kinda spendy considering most crack and fall off after a few years or are so stiff you could jack the bus up with 'em, PA has some super thick bendy rubber ones in assorted sizes for fresh off the boat from China prices Razz

I figure PA would have some good stuff, love that store! BTW, what did you use to protect the holes after drilling the brackets in for the fronts?

Looking at these mud flaps of yours again, I was wondering Busdaddy, any particular reason not to mount them on the FRONT side of the jack point? It seems like they'd protect that part too if mounted forward, no? Confused
Is there any reason that the mudflap could not be mounted on the front side of the jacking point? The Westfalias that came with the propane tank had a mudflap, it was mounted on the rear side, I think. There must a reason that VW put on that side. I bought a set of mudflaps from Gowesty that look just like the ones on Busdaddy's. I want to reverse them and mount them on the front side, they are left and right specific.
johnwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW did it that way because the backside is a less exposed surface, less chance of mud and moisture to get trapped... I guess I just needed to type it out.

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: