Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

getting a brazilian front (with radiator)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: getting a brazilian front (with radiator) Reply with quote

hello all

Since ive swap my engine to watercooled (jetta TDi) i wonder if its easy to import a brazilian front with the radiator embeded!!

Anyone has done the job?

Any tips/info where to get the radiator and surrounding to be welded in a baywindows (73) front ?

thanks all
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to antonio:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14183
supersooner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: brazilian radiator grille Reply with quote

I bought a grille from Antonio. FastMC25 has a bus he named "Clyde"
with a thread showing the installation of a radiator behind the grille.
It's homebrew. Probably easier than welding in an entire new front clip.
I plan to follow fastmc25 when I do my Subaru conversion.
76 westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't driven a Vanagon, I really encourage you to. They are great vehicles, a very worthy update to the Bay. They are all plumbed for water cooling, including excellent hot water heat. The only thing they need is a better engine, like the one you have. This would be a great candidate:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=979908

I'm not being a purist, or complaining about hacking up a bay window, this is strictly an engineering/functionality point. I do think air cooling is a big part of a bay, but I'm just saying if you are ditching that for practical purposes, why not go one more step and get a better handling, safer, more modern vehicle, with less effort?
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya u dont need a brazilizn front end. its diy
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
If you haven't driven a Vanagon, I really encourage you to. They are great vehicles, a very worthy update to the Bay.

sure, if you don't mind driving a "van".
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
but I'm just saying if you are ditching that for practical purposes, why not go one more step and get a better handling, safer, more modern vehicle, with less effort?

BAHHAHAHAHAH!!! LIKE A VANAGON! LOL!!!! too funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
I'm not being a purist, or complaining about hacking up a bay window, this is strictly an engineering/functionality point. I do think air cooling is a big part of a bay, but I'm just saying if you are ditching that for practical purposes, why not go one more step and get a better handling, safer, more modern vehicle, with less effort?

Maybe he likes his Bay Window just fine? It's not that sacrilegious - VW began using watercooled engines in Mexico and Brasil too. If you like what you have, why not upgrade?
Lavabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my baywindows and since ive thrown money in upgrades i dont see myself spending another 8 000 $ on a vanagon!! yeah its more comfy, but not as head turning as my bay!!! No one notice you in a vanagon...

Now i just want to have a more esthetic way to have a radiator than having it in the front bumper like it is right now!!

thx for all replies
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mounted a radiator inside a low pro tire(with the same od) than mounted the tire to the spare holder on the nose. later i reinforced it with a couple steel traps. i did not want all the weight on the skin. but its probably about the same as the oe steel wheel
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ya i forgot to mention i had a mesh wheel cover made to cover the whole thing. so u cant see the radiator. looks stock.
420francis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dude Smile.... lets go for some ''french'' advise... Wink
Appelle Jésus au garage deshaies... je sais qu'il a acheté un devant brésilien pour un de ses projets.. mais c'Est le devant ''plain'' avec une bosse pour poser le crest Volks.. mais il doit surement etre capable d'Avoir le modele perforé pour radiateurs....

Another ''esthetic'' way is putting the radiator under the van...

See ya Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lavabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Francis! Jesus dont want to talk to me anymore, since i sold my split bus to another folks...

But.. i guess ill go Clyde way!! Just wondering whats radiator it is!

Seems he got a full brasilian grillage!! thats neat!

Last edited by Lavabo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sofakingcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious but what does that look like from inside the bus?
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the inside ..... I lost very little floor area and it's not even noticed by me or my wife... Cool

Here is my build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=99299

The New radiator is a Griffin racing radiator setup for a 66 Mustang with 302 V8... It was the correct size that i needed.... Cool My original radiator was from a 87 Dodge Caravan 3.0 it worked well but i like overkill.... Laughing

Paul

1973 Type181 Kubelwagen (Thing 2 ) 2110cc
1971 Transporter (Pickle) 1914cc
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine) 1776cc
1973 Adventurewagen Baja Bus (Clyde) 3.4L
1970 Formula Vee Beetle 2276cc

I identify as: “A Pissed Old GI ”
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the new radiator install finished..... I painted it black to make it less noticeable through the grill... Cool

What's not seen is i sealed the radiator to the nose.... Not allowing air to bypass it in the body.... I used a 3/16" plastic sheet trimmed to fit..... then i made a small spoiler underneath the radiator to help create a low pressure area behind the radiator to aid the air passing through and exiting underneath Smile

My front bumper is reinforced with 3/16" Aircraft steel for added strength across the middle in front of the rad...

While watercooled conversions aren't for everyone......... everyone who's driven mine wants to do it.... Laughing

Paul

Last edited by fastmc25 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Now i just want to have a more esthetic way to have a radiator than having it in the front bumper like it is right now!!

The Aussies (who never got Vanagons) do a lot of watercooled conversions on their baywindows. They seem to have good luck with the under-the-bus radiator. Here's an extensive thread on one conversion including a lot of pictures:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=38417

Other than the aesthetic advantage, the under-bus radiator is somewhat easier to bleed and more tolerant of air in the system if you use a proper swirl tank. It eliminates the problem of having two different "high points" in the system that trap air. The downside is that you don't get as much ram air cooling, but you have plenty of room for a larger radiator and you can use an intake scoop to improve airflow from vehicle motion.

I'm quite interested in doing a baywindow subaru conversion as well, because where I live Vanagons are subject to smog inspection and it is a nearly insurmountable task to get a conversion approved even if it is clean as a whistle. Earlier vehicles aren't tested so we can pretty much do as we wish with them.
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually mine purges air very easily.... As i have 2 high points ... both with caps to purge air from..... and i installed a petcock in the intake for that occassional air pocket ..... Once bled i check periodically but never been a problem....... Very Happy .

I considered the under belly setup but don't like relying on fans as much.... and i camp offroad on trails with rocks and sticks flying all around..... Shocked

I'm sure some type of protective cover could be made and not restrict airflow but i didn't feel like messing with it... Smile

Paul

payaso de la mar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took the back road home from our cabin this weekend.....90 miles of dirt/gravel roads coming down from Sacramento Mountains into the desert. given the violence with which some of the rocks went pinging off my undercarriage after being tiddly-winked out from under tires, i don't think i would put a rad under the bus unless i installed major protective grillage.
gator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning out a 2300 ford pinto to '68 bus conversion. I have the 'Vango' kit which has an industrial radiator in an expanded steel 'spare tire' on the front, but seeing as my '68 has an actual spare mounted there, I'd like to place the radiator either underneath or do a pair of smaller radiators in the rear intakes.

What make/model radiators have been found to work between the frame rails, underneath the bus?

and which have worked in the rear intake/cheek area?

Looking to install radiators while running aircooled, then, once plummed, pop the 2300 in there - a weekend affair according to the instructions!

"And most of all, fuck you!" ~ Capt. Spaulding
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: