Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So..seems like the 1.5 sump I bought was a waste of money!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Yes a dry sump sytem should cure the problem

Yes, throw more money at it Smile
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatīs the question that was asked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offrdbus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
Why not test the pickup to case oil pump inlet with a vacuum test? Followed up by installing the pump, plugging the pump outlet and vacuum testing it too. I'm definitely going to do this on my build.

Done that. It does not leak at all. I kinda wish it did. At least I would have an answer.

Thanks
MG
offrdbus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
Yes a dry sump sytem should cure the problem

Yes, throw more money at it Smile

Ah yes we must spend more money. But a dry sump system is less then a new case. And I am not convinced it is the case.

MG
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered, but 13 pages is a lot to get through. Have you actually monitored the oil pressure, or are you still relying on the idiot light?

Despite the folklore, deep sumps are actually only needed for race type applications where the engine spends long periods at high revs, or where large pumps are used with overly thin oil. Of course, your long oil lines might be a third reason... but I'm just wondering if you're chasing a problem that might not exist.
offrdbus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered, but 13 pages is a lot to get through. Have you actually monitored the oil pressure, or are you still relying on the idiot light?

Despite the folklore, deep sumps are actually only needed for race type applications where the engine spends long periods at high revs, or where large pumps are used with overly thin oil. Of course, your long oil lines might be a third reason... but I'm just wondering if you're chasing a problem that might not exist.

Yes I do have a gauge as well. It falls to zero. This engine is pretty fast and the van accelerates hard. Eliminated the oil lines at one point and it still does it. I do not think the oil is going to the valve cover because the loss of pressure happens so fast. Like it slurps a big air bubble. It will happen in like two seconds flat. Boom no pressure.

Thanks
MG
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick oil is more likely to exhibit this characteristic than thin oil. I have found that engines with 20-50 (for example), especially if the oil temp is under 220F, take forever for the thick oil to return to the sump. Thin oils do that very quickly.

There can be a lot of thick oil making it's way back to the sump, in the heads and PR tubes, after a high RPM blast if the oil temp is not high enough to get the viscosity down.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offrdbus70 wrote:
Boom no pressure.

Thanks
MG

That is exactly how uncovering the oil pickup presents. It doesn't seem to matter why the pickup is uncovered. If there isn't enough oil around the end of the pickup, air is ingested ... instant zero pressure.

If the oil just can't get back to the bottom of the sump fast enough (for any reason) this is what happens.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil can go many places during acceleration. It gets wound up around the crank shaft like cotton candy, gets pushed up into the heads, moves away from the pick up tube, etc. Buy a 3.5 qt oil sump like I said 13 pages ago and problem solved.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a couple other guys, I notice this thread is still around, but can't wade through 13 pages to see if the following suggestion has been made: Measure the filter mount you are using, and be 100% certain that the holes line up precisely with the filter you are using. Those holes sometimes require widening. This was THE solution for a know-it-all racer I once knew.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offrdbus70 wrote:

Dont wanna say as he is an important parts connection and truly a nice guy. It is fresh but it had this problem before too. Before I had to have it rebuilt because it sucked a valve due to coil bind.

It is 2014 and the problem is still there? Since it had the problem before this engine was built logic would be that the problem lies in a part that was not changed.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my logic says it's the builder/assembler. also if your hat is too close to your ears it's hard for rain to get in to your brain.ipsofatso your pickup hat may also be to close and the oil not getting back to the sump. in reality that hat is only a mount or stiffener for the tube when you have a deep sump.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the hat be eliminated or gutted on a deep sump conversion? Easy enough to do if I am welding a longer pickup tube on.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you need it. .think about it this way,not much oil will be thrown right at that hole being covered by that hat.but lots of standing sloshing oil will find it's way to that hole leading to the sump.if the hat is in the way thats just another abstacle or ramp for it to go around...well it isant getting to the sump if it go's around. you can make it somewhat directional & raise the lower edges so the oil can flow better.I will be adding some deflectors to my aluminum cases so the oil is funneled to the sump when axcellerating or breaking.trap doors would be nice too but it's just a vw Shocked might add those too along with a drain from the type 3 diphole to the sump.
Ive seen some hats that were about 1/8" off the floor.not very condusive to oil getting back to the sump. I supose you could add one down in the sump if you wanted, but probably not nessasary.
hooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Oil pressure loss Reply with quote

I know it's already been covered but I would look at it again. First aluminum case I built for drag racing the oil pump inlet hole did not match up with the hole in the case. Sucked air at high rpm and acceleration. Everything worked fine till I got on it.
Yes, I had a deep sump also.

I spent most my money on women and VW race cars. The rest I wasted.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: So..seems like the 1.5 sump I bought was a waste of money! Reply with quote

Did this ever get figured out? Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: