Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Volkswagen Auctions Thread - Barrett-Jackson, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Bozo that "defected" from VW Trends to Hot VWs...what was his name? kaferdork? kaferdude? sumthin' like that... Cool

Honestly, I cannot believe my old Bus sold for that kinda coin...it had to be a bidding war, and even if the buyer knew it was once owned by "the Great and Powerful Wizard of VWs, kaferdave Cormack" (am I am 99% sure he doesn't) that doesn't make it worth anywhere near what it sold for.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is awesome that the buses sell on there for so much! Why would anyone hate it? Doesn't it make everyone's bus more valuable? Or are we supposed to be angry now because buses cost to much? Laughing
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
I think it is awesome that the buses sell on there for so much! Why would anyone hate it? Doesn't it make everyone's bus more valuable? Or are we supposed to be angry now because buses cost to much? Laughing
Well...it does infact promote more bus's being hacked into fake 21/23 window deluxes. Do YOU think this is a good thing?...I don't.
Example: the '56 Wolfsburg panel recently...the seller cant even wait for completion before listing it.

Granted, not BJ specific, but you get the idea...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:

I think that is debatable.
It definitely makes every Joe Blow with a rotted-out Bus in their yard think it's worth more now though.

No reason to be angry at the price unless you wanted that exact Bus.
There are plenty more out there for far less.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I talked to one of the those guys for quite a while and that is all he does buy them clean them and flipp them.
What's wrong with that? It takes a lot of money and work to get the bus to an auction, and if there was no profit in it no one would bother. Sounds like smart folks making good business decisions imo.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
gt1953 wrote:
I talked to one of the those guys for quite a while and that is all he does buy them clean them and flipp them.
What's wrong with that? It takes a lot of money and work to get the bus to an auction, and if there was no profit in it no one would bother. Sounds like smart folks making good business decisions imo.

Well, people generally gripe that the younger generation isn't interested in vintage vehicles as a hobby. **That complaint is supported by data (from the Department of Transportation) showing that 49% of 17 year olds have a driver's license, a more than 25% drop since 1978. Media coverage of vintage auctions of record setting prices of vehicles sends the message that this is a rich man's game. The end result is that it intimidates younger people from trying to get involved in the hobby.**

Couple that with the cries from people (meaning posts on this and other automotive forums) when there is proposed legislation calling for limits or even banning of vehicles over a certain age then yes, it is a problem. It falsely inflates the market, prices people out of the market, and relegates these vehicles to the status of being a trophy rather than something to be appreciated, maintained, and used as intended. So if these vintage vehicles are to be nothing more than a high-priced trophy, then why shouldn't they be banned from the roads?

** Auto Restorer Magazine, December 2012, Volume 24, Number 11
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If (former) Cormack VWs are worth that kind of money, let the search begin....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jingram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that the 66 21 window sells on wed night for 47 k and the 67 21 window sells for 165 k on fri night? The wed seller must be pissed and the fri buyer will be when he finds out he. ???????
What a crap shoot.....
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
Just heard the BJ auction will not be held in Costa Mesa, CA again anytime soon.

yep the orange county auction is done, new location is Reno during hot august night, OC just was not a good auction, I always did well there, most other sellers didnt
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Big money!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

seller was a friend of mine, he brings one every yr this bus was nice, not perfect by any means, he was figuring it was gonna do 80-90k but on a late sat night at Drunk O' Clock as we call it it did 165,000!! think he paid 45-55k, the auctioneers knew they had two hot live big money bidders cause cameras zoom in on bidders and there bidder number badge and report back to monitors to the podium, that stuff you dont see on tv there's about 80 small remote high def cameras hidden all over the area in the overhead you cant bid from anywhere in the arena without the podium seeing you, pretty high tech
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Big money!

seller was a friend of mine, he brings one every yr this bus was nice, not perfect by any means, he was figuring it was gonna do 80-90k but on a late sat night at Drunk O' Clock as we call it it did 165,000!! think he paid 45-55k, the auctioneers knew they had two hot live big money bidders cause cameras zoom in on bidders and there bidder number badge and report back to monitors to the podium, that stuff you dont see on tv there's about 80 small remote high def cameras hidden all over the area in the overhead you cant bid from anywhere in the arena without the podium seeing you, pretty high tech

Classic Car Guy, could you send me a PM? I originally built that Bus back in about 2001 as a Daily Driver, and it was never ever meant to be a showpiece. If I can find the new owner, I can tell him a LOT about that Bus, like why the antenna is bent, why there is a wierd-looking piece of sheet metal over the fan shroud duct on the 3-4 side, the complete specs on the engine, the trans, etc etc.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Muthashabubu Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dave"]
CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Big money!

Classic Car Guy, could you send me a PM? I originally built that Bus back in about 2001 as a Daily Driver, and it was never ever meant to be a showpiece. If I can find the new owner, I can tell him a LOT about that Bus, like why the antenna is bent, why there is a wierd-looking piece of sheet metal over the fan shroud duct on the 3-4 side, the complete specs on the engine, the trans, etc etc.

Maybe he can get you in touch with the mechanic of the person that bought that bus.
You think someone paying that much money for a bus is going to work on it themselves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
Well its that time of year again, Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale, heres a link to all the VW's...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlines...01/20/2013

A Vanagon?! Shocked And it was originally bought at a dealer I frequented as a kid! Shocked

Too bad BBB is that same weekend... I'd love to be there in person to see how much that thing goes for.

Quote:
Detailed InformationLot Number: 405

Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2013

Sale Type: NO RESERVE

Price: *$19,250.00

Year: 1990

Make: VOLKSWAGEN

Model: WESTFALIA

Style: FULL CAMPER

Oregon plates? It always cracks me up that people put the MH plates on thier Westfalia's as they do not push back on the DMV, or, leave and go to a different DMV.
Idea

Bargain!
*Price inclueds buyers commision,.....
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=730&aid=467

Get ready!! Any pre auction estimates to the final sales price?

Btw, this bus just sold very recently, so the seller is looking to "cash in " on the bus craze.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Muthashabubu Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=730&aid=467

Btw, this bus just sold very recently, so the seller is looking to "cash in " on the bus craze.

Well, since it has the "Very rare front and rear safari windows" Rolling Eyes
I will say $133K.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the January, 2013 auction.
I heard from a party that saw this Bus in person that this bus was shiny but in poor condition.
Poor paint, doors didn't fit right, engine and transmission had serious leaks, brakes were bad, etc.:

Buyer beware at these auctions...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Going back to the January, 2013 auction.
I heard from a party that saw this Bus in person that this bus was shiny but in poor condition.
Poor paint, doors didn't fit right, engine and transmission had serious leaks, brakes were bad, etc.:

Buyer beware at these auctions...

nice driver quality nothing exceptional by any means, and the one that sold sat night for $150,000.00 wasnt any better at all, but hey it was sat night, liquor was flowing and money was flying, but thats a sat night at Barrett... Wink

ps. the one sold at 150k was bought at Pomona in DEC for 40k and I missed buying it by 15mins... Sad
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:

$126,500:

Last edited by EverettB on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few others

AFAIK, this Bus was made into a 15-Window... I guess that information wasn't important for BJ. Smile

"... has a complete new wiring harness which is why all the lights on the vehicle work."
I guess I haven't noticed some of my lights don't work since my wiring is old.
Rolling Eyes LOL

ho-dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to watch the Mecum auction this past weekend and I was amazed that their announcers knew even LESS than on BJ. They speculated that an external oil cooler on a Bay Westie was "some sort of furnace or space heater." Shocked

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 28

Jump to: