Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if, and so what, the difference are on the chrome rings around the headlights on a 1302 and 1303 apart from the 1302 the lights hang in the chrome ring, 1303 bolted in the fender?
Is there any difference in the opening diameter? If so, by how much?
I tried using my 1302 rings on a 1303 but there is no way of making it fit without grinding half of it away on the lower part.
Thought I should ask here before ordering, because the stainless are about $60 a piece. Shocked
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

The diameters are the same. There were 2 kinds as you pointed out -- the sealed beam one which only have one screw at the bottom as the sealed lens+reflector unit was mounted on the headlight bucket and the earlier type where the lens and reflector were separate with both mounted on the rim.

I've seen later ones being fitted to earlier cars. I expect the earlier ones to fit the later cars as well.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

I have replaced my rusted fenders with new fiberglass ones from CSP.
With the headlights bolted to the light bucket (1303 style) my old 1302 rings are about 4-5mm too high up and won't go over the lens, but also the opening on my old rings seems slightly too small for the lens to go through.
Will try to take a picture of it.
The lens is an aftermarket sealed beam with H4 insert, but the outside diameter is the same.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

AFAIK the "one hole" rings required for your fenders are different...

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/?func=detailcall&artnr=25955a

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

There may be 2 or 3 different types of fenders on a global basis:
1) US style sealed beam where the sealed beam unit is attached to the fender directly.
2) European style where the lens and reflector are separate items and are attached to the chrome outer ring. The lamp for this fender uses either a P45T or a P43T H4 bulb depending on the reflector used.
3) European style where an integrated lens reflector unit is used which is attached to the fender directly. The lamp for this fender uses a P43T H4 bulb

I am not sure if the fenders for 1 and 3 are the same, ie use the same mounting points on the fender.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

Did you ask CSP .
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

I have really bad experience of CSP, and frankly I personally think they can go f*** them selfs, but..

This are the fenders I have on.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/body/fender-front-2cm-inner-widened-821-071-020il-19896a.html

Could it be so simple that my chrome rings have a tiny tab spot welded in place to hold the upper part of it to the fender, and these from Flat4 have the edge folded?

Edit: Seems not. Regular ring oe no 113941175, the one linked is 113941177.
Can't find any info if there is any difference between them.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome rings around the headlights difference 71-73 / 74 Reply with quote

anthax wrote:
I have really bad experience of CSP, and frankly I personally think they can go f*** them selfs, but..

This are the fenders I have on.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/body/fender-front-2cm-inner-widened-821-071-020il-19896a.html

Could it be so simple that my chrome rings have a tiny tab spot welded in place to hold the upper part of it to the fender, and these from Flat4 have the edge folded?

Edit: Seems not. Regular ring oe no 113941175, the one linked is 113941177.
Can't find any info if there is any difference between them.

They changed over the years, the newer they are, the shittier they got.
On good OG the edges are rolled over except at the top where the edge is
not folded completely in-order to catch the lip on the headlight bucket.
In the late 70's they came in plastic, plated with chrome, I only saw them, never tried to install one.
Most good reproductions have the edge rollled over like OG, but will rust over time.
Shitty reproductions have the welded clip, no rolled edges, flimsy has hell, and rust in the package.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: