Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP: How to get my 1:6 Herbie RC Bus to power up
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyPan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: HELP: How to get my 1:6 Herbie RC Bus to power up Reply with quote

I purchased this item used (supposedly working) from an auction and have every reason to believe it's just operator error but i could use some help from those who may have one of these.

I didn't get any paperwork with the unit or I'm sure I'd be able to figure this out. I charged the bus battery, get engine sounds when the red switch on the bottom of the toy is activated.

The problem I'm having is with the remote controller itself. I cannot find the damn power button to turn on the controller. There are so many buttons, I've tried them all, and that damn red light refuses to glow. I have swapped out batteries that are known good. Can someone tell me the procedure for one of these toys that works so I can begin to troubleshoot the right area?

The controller takes 6 AA batts.... I noticed one terminal has some corrosion so I'll be cleaning that next.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this about a few of those RC toys made for the movie. However, I don't think anyone's found a fix for it. The company that made them obviously didn't have much experience making RC cars so they were pretty crappy right out of the box.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustyPan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told it was working and hoping its something simple. If anyone has the original manual or knows how to power up the controller, I'd love to know how it's done. I don't see an off/on switch, there's gotta be one somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustyPan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, figured out the problem and how the controller powers up. After taking the controller apart, testing the power leads to ensure all the AA batts were known good and getting combined power to the controller unit, I determined on a fluke that if you wiggle one of the batteries suddenly the controller will get power.

Also, the controller led won't light up when all the batts are in but only when you depress one of the controller buttons. Strange design but I take it for its worth.

The bus is happy now, got to drive it around the living room for a bit. Next task is to modify the battery since the original Herbie batt is dying a quick death, damn NMHD technology. I got a whole new set and should be able to solder up a nice molex connector for quick change and go.

All is well. Thanks for those who replied to my thread and even some of you lurkers out there.
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the controller is always on try cleaning the terminals
RustyPan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandysbus wrote:

Thanks Mandy, I had posted prior that that's what I found out to be the problem...corroded terminals.

Swapped out the battery with a newer same voltage but higher milliamp (i think) one. The bus MOVES super fast now. I wonder if I'll burn out the motor now? I have a feeling I'll end up swapping that out too. Might as well modify it....its all mine. Wink
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyPan wrote:
mandysbus wrote:

Thanks Mandy, I had posted prior that that's what I found out to be the problem...corroded terminals.

Swapped out the battery with a newer same voltage but higher milliamp (i think) one. The bus MOVES super fast now. I wonder if I'll burn out the motor now? I have a feeling I'll end up swapping that out too. Might as well modify it....its all mine. Wink

its actually phil...mandy is the ex..i got all the forum names in the divorce lol
she actually painted the seats in the rc bus to match hers and we painted the bottom half a mint green like her bus

i havent "driven" it since i crashed it into my friend R32...he was a little pissed...
Vermeulen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it's an old one but hey here it goes anyway.

I was trying to get it back running , so after charging the battery i got it running.
But , after 2 min it was allready over with the fun.
when its lifted off the ground it goes forward , backwards and left and right work too. Lights all go even the turnsignals.

The only thing i can't get to work are the electric "airride" system. Only 1 of 4 works and cant find how to get the other ones to work.

Anyone can help ? And how long should it take to fully charge the battery
SBS UK #71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: