Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
So is it not the thin one on the right? ( These pics are from different ads I've saved over the years)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was referring to SGK's pic, the one in yours looks like a bus pulley.

I'm not sure but the profile where the belt rides is also a little different, with a fat newish belt it seems to ride lower in the pulley producing higher fan RPM's, but maybe it's just me Smile I recently switched to one I scored at a swap and it seems to run a bit cooler, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: 38 A generator belt 9.5x900 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm not sure but the profile where the belt rides is also a little different, with a fat newish belt it seems to ride lower in the pulley producing higher fan RPM's, but maybe it's just me Smile I recently switched to one I scored at a swap and it seems to run a bit cooler, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part Confused

Colin showed me a factory manual that I had never seen last summer, and it showed a 9.5x900 belt for the 38a generator-equipped cars, and a 9.5x905 belt for 30a cars. Related?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so I need to keep my eyes open for 38 amp cast pulleys in good condition. I'll bet places like Interstate have boxes of them without knowing it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Alright so I need to keep my eyes open for 38 amp cast pulleys in good condition. I'll bet places like Interstate have boxes of them without knowing it.

I betcha Jim knows it if you ask him. I walked in and met him one day without calling first... I asked for an early bay jack hold down strap and he found a box of them in less than a minute.

Though I have never seen one at the Pamona Swap Meet I frequent...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Colin showed me a factory manual that I had never seen last summer, and it showed a 9.5x900 belt for the 38a generator-equipped cars, and a 9.5x905 belt for 30a cars. Related?

Quite possibly, I went on the hunt for one locally today but they are all 10mm or 7/16" wide (even the Continental supposedly sized for a 71 bus), rides low in the pulley but too fat to snug up the nut against the shims. The 9.5X905 sits almost at the outer edge of the pulley already like it's almost worn out. The belt I have now is an inch sized Gates or something with the teeth and fits much like the 905mm one.
I'm hoping to get my hands on a real 9.5 wide belt so I can do a side by side RPM test on the generator between the 2 pulleys and 2 belts, could be interesting.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

808OvalGreasemonkey wrote:
Which "tins" are you guys talking about? My newly acquired 71' Westy had the 38A generator with a 30A regulator,however it was missing the special cast iron pulley to offset the belt to make up for the 38A generators longer length,so my belt was offset.
I simply swapped in a new Bosch 30A generator,and used the original tin and it works perfectly now,and the pulleys line up.
The only thing I saw was that the tin had a extra cooling slot or whatever in it (it sits inside the fan housing) and everything bolted right up.
Whay are some here saying "change the tin"? :?:

You weren't re-using the original tin - the mounting plates for the 30 and 38 amp generators are shaped differently to account for the different length. So I'm guessing your offset pulley was the result of using a 38 amp gen with the 30amp mounting plate. Replace that gen with a 30 amp unit on the same mounting plate and it all lines up.

That cooling slot inside the mounting plate must face downwards so it pulls cooling air through the generator into the fan.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, the tin in question is the circular piece at the front of the generator, with four bolt holes around its perimeter. the difference is subtle but visible. For a 38A setup the tin is dished inward a bit where the generator mounts. For a 30A or alternator setup the tin is dished a bit outward where the generator mounts This moves a 38A generator about a centimeter further forward than the other setups. The 38A unit is longer, so the pulley ends up in the same place.
Thomas333is
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Don't forget that the two generators use different tin and pulleys, so probably best to replace with what you have, unless you're willing to swap out all that stuff also.

You can use a 30 amp regulator on a 38 amp generator, but you will limit the generator's output. Don't use a 38 amp regulator on a 30 amp generator. (1) It's hard on the generator, and (2) you could ruin a hard-to-get 38 amp regulator. Either get a 38 amp generator to go with it, or give it to someone who needs one.

I have generator 30amp and regulator 38amp. So I can not use it?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

I would advise against it. It will allow you to overload your 30 amp generator, shortening its life. Besides, 30 amp regulators are EASY to get. 38 amp regulators are rare - save them for use with 38 amp generators.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thomas333is
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Don't forget that the two generators use different tin and pulleys, so probably best to replace with what you have, unless you're willing to swap out all that stuff also.

You can use a 30 amp regulator on a 38 amp generator, but you will limit the generator's output. Don't use a 38 amp regulator on a 30 amp generator. (1) It's hard on the generator, and (2) you could ruin a hard-to-get 38 amp regulator. Either get a 38 amp generator to go with it, or give it to someone who needs one.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas333is wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

No you can't, expensive and time consuming smoke will result, don't do it.

There, is that clear enough?

Слава Україні!
MusiKaravan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

Hi there! I have the opposite: 38V generator and new 30V regulator... Is that ok?.. (Sorry for the dumb question..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

MusiKaravan wrote:
Hi there! I have the opposite: 38V generator and new 30V regulator... Is that ok?.. (Sorry for the dumb question..

That will work OK, but you'll only get 30A from it.

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

I can look and see if I have a 38 VR on the shelf when I get home. If you are interested in that send me a PM
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

Aeromech,

I would be interested in a 38a regulator if you have one available to sell. I'm also currently moving over to 38amp original stuff while I rebuild my engine. Let me know if you do!

Thanks,
Scott
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

Sorry guys,
I checked my stock and did not find a 38 amp version. I spoke too soon
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

I am sure these have been posted before in this thread but just in case. Also, according to Google, quite a few places sell the VR part# listed for the 38 amp generator. To me it looks like the market has adjusted to the need for 38 amp parts, other than maybe the better pulleys - although NOS ones are still out there, and VW shows them as still available too.

Tcash wrote:
Bentley says 69-71 38A in the Electrical section.

You would need
38A generator - 211 903 031 D
38A inner and outer fan covers - 211 119 259 inner / 211 119 259 outer
Fan cover reinforcement flange - 113 119 271
38A gen pulley with hub - 211 903 109
38A voltage regulator - 211 903 803 E
The 38A regulators are getting harder to find.

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks to jerseylooker
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html

tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

I do have the Mexican solid state regulator currently. I've read that will handle the 38amp generator fine. Can anyone vouch for this?
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

tweakhx wrote:
I do have the Mexican solid state regulator currently. I've read that will handle the 38amp generator fine. Can anyone vouch for this?

look it up with Google and see what it says. If it lists this part number then it probably does. 211 903 803 E
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 amp generator or 38 amp generator ? Reply with quote

tweakhx wrote:

Most likely 30A since those solid state ones are mainly for Beetles, it'll work, but it won't use the generator to it's full potential.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: