Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Then its on to the rear corner sections and modifying the rear hatch, to which my plan has changed in light of a new discovery.

I am curious what the new discovery is? Tell me now! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

55samba wrote:

I am curious what the new discovery is? Tell me now! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can use bay window bus donor metal which is far easier and cheaper to come by:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 70's buses' windows are a little taller and have a bigger "bulge" at the belt line, but the frame contour and depth is identical. A little trimming and forming and this should work nicely for the rear hatch. I could also just use this as donor metal to repair the rust I have on my last two split window bus windows and use those to construct the rear hatch opening.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Cool, think the fat hatch profile would work to repair a lower front windshield area? My outside corner is rotted.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Cool, think the fat hatch profile would work to repair a lower front windshield area? My outside corner is rotted.

it depends on how far down your rust goes. if its just the sill you could use the top part of any window section (bay or split) flipped upside-down. if the rust goes beyond the window sill and past the curve it would be a little more work to get the angle correct.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

It was raining today and I had a little time to work on the bus. I didn't want to take it out of the garage for fear of all the bare metal rusting so I took off the rear hatch and started figuring out a plan to turn it into a deluxe rear hatch.

The donor metal I had to work with was two cargo doors, one had really rusty window sills, the other was so-so and the aforementioned bay window drivers side middle section.

I mulled over how to go about this for a bit, there are a few ways that would work. I could have trimmed and formed the bay window bus section to work, but the inner liner panel is completely different and would need to be separated. I'm kind of bored with drilling spot welds out (no pun intended).

The cargo doors have the correct inner liner panel profile, so I decided to use those, trying to keep the inner liner panel attached and graft both the inner and outer panels to the hatch. This is the first time I did it this way, on all the other windows I've separated the two panels at the spot welds at the window lips.

So here's how I'm going to do it:

First I cut out one complete window section from one of the cargo doors, both inner and outer as one unit.

By my calcuations, the rear hatch window opening needs to be 33" wide, edge to edge. This is 13.5" longer than all the other windows on the bus. I cut the top and bottom window sections out of the rusty cargo door, again both inner and outer;

The sill is crap:

I have to fabricate that lower section, both inner and outer, so I turned to the bay window section and cut a piece out of that:

Here's a cross section of the two pieces side by side. As I mentioned, the belt line curve on the bay window buses is more promienent than the splittys...actually it starts about the same at the front of a bay window bus and gets bigger as it goes rearwards. You can also see how the inner liner panel is deeper:

I separated the inner and outer panel (more spot weld drilling Sad )

Here's a shot showing the different belt line profile, it gets bigger farther back:

A little bending and hammer work and its perfect:

I wanted to be absolutely sure the contour was right. I held it up against the original section, and over one of the other windows on the bus. Its a perfect fit:

I found an inner liner in my ever growing pile of scrap metal to use. I cut it to size and clamped them together. Here it is side by side with the junky piece:

I then cut the "good" cargo door window in half:

..and clamped in the sections I'm going to add. Here's what a deluxe rear window should look like:

I ran out of time before I could tack it together. tune in next time for that.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Those are some brave moves your making. Do you have the glass and rubber yet?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Those are some brave moves your making. Do you have the glass and rubber yet?

I measured a piece of glass but i dont have one of my own yet. I'm thinking about making the hatch window a pop out which would need custom glass.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

If it helps I took some measurements off an original deluxe hatch I am working on right now. Fresh from the blaster...

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

thanks a ton for those pics!! my calculations were spot on! I can proceed with more confidence now!
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I got the rear hatch window frame welded together today. This took a lot of time to get square, straight and flat. I meant to take a pic but the opening is exactly 15.25" x 33".

GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I got the rear hatch window frame welded together today. This took a lot of time to get square, straight and flat. I meant to take a pic but the opening is exactly 15.25" x 33".

very nice, looks great!
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

had a thinking session early this morning. I'm trying to figure out if I can make this frame section work without separating the panels. I did some measuring and there is very little room to work with on the inside of the rear hatch. My original plan was to cut the outer panel smaller and fit it in from the back of the hatch as a unit.
I made a cardboard cutout of the inner frame and it got me thinking it might be better to separate them... still thinking...

in any event this is gonna be a lot of work.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Ill save this for later. Its gonna be some work!!!!

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

hi my name is eddie and I'm addicted to thesamba.com

I took a break from rear hatch calculation and decided to do something fun:

got to use some markers:

and a cutting wheel:

some of my previous handy work done on the corner:

I was careful not to compromise the integrity of this pillar. The window opening is really close to it:

Its ready to weld in and although I might change my mind after I start welding, I gotta say the outer corner sections that EIS sells are really good. They are a little thinner than stock but the fit is spot on. We'll see how much hammer work it will need but its clamped in right now and looks real close.

Last edited by edgood1 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

looks pretty good.

too bad you'll add skylight Razz
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
looks pretty good.

thanks. I still haven't committed to doing the roof, even though I'm gathering parts...

I do have 10 westfalia windows... I could do a mean 15 window deluxe camper with louvered windows. I could even make one for the rear hatch
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

its remarkable how much the look of the van changes by adding a corner window:

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
looks pretty good.

thanks. I still haven't committed to doing the roof, even though I'm gathering parts...

I do have 10 westfalia windows... I could do a mean 15 window deluxe camper with louvered windows. I could even make one for the rear hatch
that would be pretty nice.

and more camper friendly than "let the sun shine in" skylight !
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

I tacked in the corner window. I'm very happy with the fit of these corner window outer panels that I got from eis. they are made by a Brazilian company called IGP.

I spent a few hours getting this tacked in. I was super careful to get all the metal lined up perfectly. I played hop scotch with the clamps doing one tack at a time and working the metal with the hammer and dolly and even shrinking it in some spots. . I wanted this to be right since its a more complex shape than the other windows. I'm really happy how its coming out.

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project Reply with quote

looks very good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 34

Jump to: