Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

distributor question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: distributor question Reply with quote

I have a dual port 1600cc endine with a vacuum advanced distributor that has been recalled. Does it really matter if I put a 009 distributor on?
BuckyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: distributor question Reply with quote

I don't think it makes very much difference at all. Good luck.

Andrew
'58 Panel Bus
'60 European Beetle
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: distributor question Reply with quote

It doesn't matter. But I have a Question about this that someone else might answer. If you replace the stock dist. w the .009 are supposed to ignore the timing instructions for your model and just set it to 30' at 3000 rpm (i've seen other books say 2500 rpm)?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: distributor question Reply with quote

I have heard that iff you use a 009 in a dual port yoyu will get a "flat spot" just off of ilde. This might cuase a problem with qiuck take offs.
AXAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with a vacuum distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW is recalling beetles from 1958-1967? Confused

If that's true maybe they will now honor my 1958 oil change coupon!

Honestly, I don't understand the OP's question nor some of the answers herein are so vague they are not useful, sorry.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely an aftermarket distributor.

But I can't imagine the Chinese recalling anything.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor question Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
I have a dual port 1600cc endine with a vacuum advanced distributor that has been recalled. Does it really matter if I put a 009 distributor on?

Hi Johnny,

Looks like you have not been a regular poster here, so I assume you are still learning - no probs.

We all want to know what you mean by "recalled".

The twin port 1600 engine came with a 34PICT/3 carburetor, and was designed to hook up with a vacuum distributor - from 71 to 73 in the USA it was a double vacuum double advance DVDA (both vacuum and centrifugal) and from 74 onwards it was a single vacuum double advance SVDA. In the rest of the world it was the single vacuum double advance SVDA from 71 onwards.

All styles of vacuum distributor are designed to give the engine a shot of advance right off idle to help the engine spin up smoothly.

The 009 distributor was originally designed for stationary engines - used on generators, compressors and such. These were almost constant speed engines so the simple centrifugal-only 009 works OK there, but not so good with a car engine with it's widely varying load and rpms.

So when folks use a 009 on a car engine, they usually have...
1. A flat spot off-idle, because the 009 does not BEGIN to advance until about 1200rpm. the usually "fix" (cover-up) for this is to run the engine richer through it's rev range, with a larger main jet and setting the accelerator pump to max squirt. This results in...
2. Increased fuel consumption, because you are using larger fuel jets.
3. Increased engine wear as the increased fuel in the cylinders dilutes the oil film on the cylinder walls.
4. The engine might run hotter than expected because in many driving situations, the 009 results in UNDER-advance (steady cruising at medium speeds for example). Vacuum distributors can make up to 40 degrees advance; but the 009 must be limited to 30-32 degrees max advance, because it has no way of knowing how much throttle you are using, where the vacuum distributors DO know, and can make extra advance for better economy, when needed.

So, if you do use a 009, you must set the timing to 30-32 degrees at 3000+ rpm. Mgkeebsiii, the reason you've seen 2500rpm is that the 009 advance is "all in" 2500/2600rpm, so we set it at 3000+ to make absolutely sure it's all there.

You let the idle advance fall where it may - usually between 5 and 10BTDC, but that shows up a problem with most 009s...they vary in how much total advance they can make. We set them at MAX advance because that's more important than idle advance.

You then set the accelerator pump for max squirt, and make sure that squirt is straight down the throat, not splashing on anything on the way down - twist the delivery tube a little if needed. Then drive it. If you have a bad flat spot just above idle, you can then try increasing the size of the main jet, usually from a 127.5 to a 130 or 132.5.

Or, you find an SVDA (single vacuum double advance) distributor to suit the 34PICT/3 carburettor, and set it according to the distributor you use. The following distributors work well with the 34PICT/3 carb.

VW 113 905 205AJ (DVDA 71-73 USA) uses 5ATDC timing, set with the engine idling and all vacuum lines connected.
VW 043 905 205 (SVDA 74+ USA and 71+ rest-of-world) is set at 7.5BTDC static, or with the engine idling and the vacuum line disconnected from the distributor.
VW 043 905 205ZB (SVDA Mexican replacement for the 205 above) is set at 7.5BTDC as per the 205 above.
http://www.vw-resource.com

Last edited by Aussiebug on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, clear and hopefully helpful answer Rob!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Beautiful, clear and hopefully helpful answer Rob!

Thank you Sir.

My wife and I visited Scotland last year - loved it. Edinburgh Tattoo (not too far from Gullane), Montrose (my wife is very distantly related to the Earl of Montrose), Loch Ness (where are you Nessy?), Glen Coe (absolutely stunning), Kenmore pub (Robby Burns poetry pencilled on the wall in about 1788!) and so on. Cant wait to go back and see more.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor question Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:

Size of the engine doesn't matter. What matters is what carb/carbs you have.
Also what might matter is depending on what year your car is and smog laws.
Yes you can put a 009 in, but may not run as good for the reasons stated above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've noticed that the original poster hasn't visited this site since 2002. The day he posted this thread. Nevertheless , good info for folks & fun reading.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I'm sure you've noticed that the original poster hasn't visited this site since 2002. The day he posted this thread. Nevertheless , good info for folks & fun reading.

Damn - I saw the date on the left side, but missed it on the top of the posts. And I used all that effort for him too :-/

Oh well, I'm glad it was useful to others reading it.
highroller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, where might one find those distributors listed in Rob and Daves post?
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.cip1.com list the 043 905 205. Put SVDA into the search box and it appears with three other styles on that page. Dont know how good the quality is (they seem cheap for the item).

Aircooled.net advertises SVDAs but doesn't list the part number. They always try to have good quality parts though.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=svda

Maybe search here in the classifieds.
payin_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great explanation Rob, your effort was not in vain !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: