Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving from NYC to Colorado...need advice. Thanks! :)
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Moving from NYC to Colorado...need advice. Thanks! :) Reply with quote

I've browsed and used lots of advice found on here and I have nothing but an insane amount of appreciation for everyone's expertise and more importantly, humor!

Since I was 15, I have always tagged along and worked on bugs, things, ghias and have always wanted my own beetle. 2 years ago, I finally got one - a half finished project that was left to sit in someone's yard in CT.

A DIY kind of girl, I did any necessary work to get the car running on my own in a public garage shared by other cars (tipped the guy or bought food and he let me work there without the owner knowing).

So - I decided to finally move out to CO in March of 2011 - where I've always wanted to be for some time. But - I'm afraid that I may kill the car with so much driving - no?

I've yet to have an issue driving around nyc (unfortunately it was mostly in traffic), but even so - i've not run the car for more than 2 hours on the highway.

Will Colorado be too much? someone told me to rebuild the engine before I go. The previous owner never knew how much mileage he put on and the speedometer was broken, so I really have NO idea what that engine has done. I do know that it burns NO oil, has no metal shavings in it, and has never overheated on me - even when driving in 95 degree heat wave! I'm saving money for the move, so I'm not sure how exactly I Laughing would rebuild an engine in time and cost-effective. Not something I'd want to rush anyway, without a 'real' garage to work in.

So far, I know I need that stabilizer bar for the struts if I hope to drive close to the speed limit in CO Laughing .

ANY advice, to-do, keep an eye out, and all ideas and suggestions, etc..would be welcome! The bug will be my only car and unlike NY, I can't leave it at home while I take a subway to work.

Thanks again!

Penelope

P.S. - I'm not driving the car out to CO as much as I love road trips.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the engine fairly dry? Few if any oil leaks?
If so, it is probably in pretty decent shape.
VW's will stand long distance driving if you do not hammer them to death, or make them work too hard by overloading the car.
60-65 mph, and 8 hour days driving.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Is the engine fairly dry? Few if any oil leaks?
If so, it is probably in pretty decent shape.
VW's will stand long distance driving if you do not hammer them to death, or make them work too hard by overloading the car.
60-65 mph, and 8 hour days driving.

Hey Russ, thanks for your response. Yah, engine's dry - no leaks anywhere.
As for overloading, the only things I have in the trunk are the main tools and extra parts for a 'just in case' moment that I have yet to experience outside of switching out a spark plug cable or distro cap.

I put her up for sell briefly then took it down. I just can't do it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved from CO back east to PA (but stayed in NJ for a month first), I had a friend drive my 73 bug back for me. It was 1700 or so miles, and we did it over 3 days. I was dirving an 86 cabriolet, and my dad the rental truck. I agree with Russ, as long as you don't try to keep up in the fast lane, a bug will hum along all day. Of course once you get out to CO, the car will feel less powerful due to the altitude.

Central Jersey VW Society
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
When I moved from CO back east to PA (but stayed in NJ for a month first), I had a friend drive my 73 bug back for me. It was 1700 or so miles, and we did it over 3 days. I was dirving an 86 cabriolet, and my dad the rental truck. I agree with Russ, as long as you don't try to keep up in the fast lane, a bug will hum along all day. Of course once you get out to CO, the car will feel less powerful due to the altitude.

Brave!! - I won't be driving to CO in the bug, but I'll be using it as my main vehicle there. I'm just so used to everything being so close in nyc, that any long distance driving out there was scaring me a bit. So far I'm feeling better about it. thanks guys.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO won't beat up your car any worse than anywhere else if it's in good shape. I don't think there are any "Colorado-specific" things to worry about unless you intend to make your car a rock-crawling off-road machine.

Downshift up long hills, and don't lug the engine. Like driving on any grade.

Use common sense. Good tires, good shocks, good battery, good engine in good tune and you'll be fine. If you have an engine that's out of tune and not in good shape, you'll likely have problems, but just like in any other place.

In the winter, make sure you've got a good battery. Depending on whether you live on the plains or up in the mountains, the cold can kill a battery pretty quick.

There's lots of debate about whether you need to tune the engine for altitude, and some smart people have different opinions, but it's neither a crisis nor something that will kill your car. It's mostly a power/gas mileage debate with lower oxygen at higher altitudes. I don't notice any difference going between 5500 feet where I live and up to even 10,000 feet. If you're up at high altitudes all the time, sure, look into it.

Put RainX or something else on the INSIDE of your windshield in the winter. Your breath will ice up the windshield pretty quick as cold as it gets around here.
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: i forgot to say what car i have, duh.. Reply with quote

I guess I was just super excited to post on here. I own a 1974 Super Convertible and it's in great shape.

thanks Bart - yes! I heard about the low oxygen thing too. I guess I'll see what's up when I get there. I'm starting out in Castle Rock at a friend's place, and will be checking out Colorado Springs and Denver over the course of the first 6 months to decide which way I'd like to go. I have tons of friends from high school that are stationed in CS, but I am drawn to Denver anytime I'm there.

i never thought of using Rain-x inside the windshield. will do!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fog-X" inside and "Rain-X" outside please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car is in halfway good shape you will do fine here.
It always seems like a big jump going cross-country but really it's not that big a deal. Your car may adapt to the thin air easier than you do!

Ever checked out www.ppvwc.net ?
Not much fun for speed freaks over there, but nice bunch of folks.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Fort Collins, there were a few air cooled places there, and in Loveland. There were a bunch of daily driven air cooled cars where I was there, even a 412 wagon. They also didn't use salt on the roads when it snowed, so combined with the lack of humidity, old cars do well out there.

Central Jersey VW Society
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If your car is in halfway good shape you will do fine here.
It always seems like a big jump going cross-country but really it's not that big a deal. Your car may adapt to the thin air easier than you do!

Ever checked out www.ppvwc.net ?
Not much fun for speed freaks over there, but nice bunch of folks.

Oh man, I remember how much harder it was to go up my friend's stairs every time I visited! Laughing

Great site! Thank you.
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to Colorado you will want to put smaller jets in the carb. You may want to advance timing a bit too. If your motor is modded it will like a smaller diameter exhaust than the same motor at sea level.

My house in COS is at 7,200ft and your VW will run better if set up for altitude.

In addition to the previously mentioned club, there are a couple up in Denver and a good scene in Grand Junction. Where in CO are you going to end up?

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about your car handling the West!!

Back in the day of the Bug, My youth, the 60's and 70's in particular, the American highways were swarming with Air Cooled VW's! They went winter and summer, up hills and down with little problem. Many could go where any Jeep CJ (the REAL CJ's, not the weenie cars they badge today!! These were direct descendent's of the WWII work horses) would venture and exit right alongside them.

Today, Air Cooled VW's live a cushy pampered life, sleeping in garages and only coming outside when the sun is shining and the ground is warm!!!

If you car is in good shape and running well, enjoy your ride. Take care of it, wash the underbody in the winter to head off corrosion and you'll be the envy of almost any all wheel drive Subaru on the highway. Keep with stock tire sizes and your bug will slosh through mud, snow and dry highway as well with little to no trouble.
Being out west, get a set of tire chains and learn how to put them on BEFORE you have to!!!! Do it on a warm sunny day to get the hang of it. There are passes that will only let you go through if you have chains.

It's a different world out there. I lived in Oregon for years and loved every minute of it but returned to the East for family. Keep in mind that outside of Manhattan, there are "critter's" both large and small, some will eat you given the chance, most are afraid of you but learn about them and venture forth into the wild well informed and safe. If you take up hiking, learn proper and safe food handling procedures so you sleep safe and don't lose your equipment or supplies!!

Enjoy the ride

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
deaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your not afraid to work on your own car, throw your tools in and go!
i have taken vws across the states without rebuilds.
just dont try to set a speed record and your groovy!
you should be just fine.
autobahn style!
Very Happy
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get here check out Painters Grinding VW shop in Denver. They will get your carb sorted out and runnng correctly. Your car won't run near the way it did in NYC.

I moved here from Florida 5 years ago and my car would barely idle once I got it off the moving van.

Feel free to PM me when you get here if you have any questions. There are more than enough folks around to give you advice or assistance if you need it.

Scott
Black58EuroBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I live at 8,400 feet in Colorado and I have a 1958 Beetle. There are many happy VWs in my town, Busses, Bugs and Things (and it's a tiny town). I think you should not worry so much. Your Beetle will be much happier here than on the East Coast where salt is dumped everywhere in the winter and where traffic makes you sit forever waiting.

Where in Colorado will you be moving to? While we have no subway, there is an extensive bus system in Boulder and Denver should anything go horribly wrong with your Beetle. I take the bus all winter from my home in the mountains just to keep my Beetles safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highaltidude wrote:

In addition to the previously mentioned club, there are a couple up in Denver and a good scene in Grand Junction. Where in CO are you going to end up?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I'll be in Castle Rock to start at my friend's house while I scope out spots to settle in for a while. So far, Colorado Springs, Boulder and Denver are on the list, but the more I research the list gets longer!
Zadeylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black58EuroBug wrote:

Where in Colorado will you be moving to? While we have no subway, there is an extensive bus system in Boulder and Denver should anything go horribly wrong with your Beetle. I take the bus all winter from my home in the mountains just to keep my Beetles safe.

I feel lots better after getting all these responses. I don't take my car out in the winter here just for that reason. Good thing about the buses - Denver and Boulder are on my list!

I am definitely interested in any and all clubs out there and will definitely reach out. Thank you. Smile
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your little car can make it here, it will have no problem making it there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: